JimBobAndLarry
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Sarah
Fortville IN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  06:54:15 AM  Show Profile
Until a couple of years I would host a Trading Day twice a month during the Spring, Summer and Fall. Everyone would come on a Saturday afternoon with armloads of fresh grown veggies, homemade bread, canned jam, handmade cards, jewelry, pottery, soap, and all kinds of natural handmade products. Once a year we would have a kid's clothing exchange. Everytime we would get together to barter we would also have a practical skill learning workshop... like making lipbalm or natural cleaning products. I'm planning to get back into hosting trading days, but I just had two new babies in the past two years and I've been trying not to get to busy.

"Jim-Bob&Larry is the name of my daughter's new laying hen. My little girl is three and she came up with the name all by herself. I'm Sarah."

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  4:10:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sarah, I love the trading idea. you do alot of neat things. I wish I had more people around me who felt the same. They usually cant figure out why I would spin wool instead of buy it!!!! I like your ideas. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

JimBobAndLarry
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Sarah
Fortville IN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - May 30 2005 :  4:48:20 PM  Show Profile
How could I not be busy with two? I have five! :) The oldest is six years old. Maybe someday I'll share my secrets... I do it Farm Girl style. Think about it, 100 years ago almost all the Farmgirl mamas had 6 to 10 children. I think that I was designed with the capacity to love and raise a sweet little flock of children, and do it well, as long as I don't get distracted by all lifes modern distractions. In the old days the farmgirl mamas had lots of children and fed them all out of her garden, dressed them all from her sewing room, and did so much more than most modern women can do with all of their modern contraptions.

"Jim-Bob&Larry is the name of my daughter's new laying hen. My little girl is three and she came up with the name all by herself. I'm Sarah."
Go to Top of Page

snowberryfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Michelle
Central Wa WA
USA
132 Posts

Posted - May 30 2005 :  9:25:00 PM  Show Profile
That sounds wonderful! I would love to do something like this, but wouldn't know where to find all the people I would need to prticipate! Thanks for sharing this idea, Sarah!

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  09:09:23 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, I really like the trading day idea. Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  1:11:41 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, you are a gal after my own heart. I also have 5 kids (a bit more spaced out than yours though) , and I feel the same way about raising kids. I can do such a wonderful job if I don't let myself get distracted by worldly things (which is so hard to do...I always try to remember the saying: "Be in the world, but not of It").

Have a great day!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Trading Day Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page