willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  11:29:54 AM  Show Profile
ANyone have ideas about what to do with leftover ham other than ham salad, ham sandwiches and ham balls? We have a BUNCH leftover and I don't know what to do with it.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  11:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I cut it in smaller pieces then store it in the freezer. So when I want to eat it I can. This way I don't have to go hog wild eating it for days on end ( pun intended). My mother in law makes a dishethat is bread scrapes dunked in and egg and milk mixture with ham mixed through out then it is baked sort of resembless a quich ( sp ) in texture. If you like that idea I can look up the receipe for you.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
my web stores www.sunshines.etsy.com and http://vintagethreads.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  11:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello, Pea soup, bean soup, scalloped potatos, Cold pasta salad subsitute it for chicken or tuna, Omlets, scrambled eggs, pancakes, grind it up and make ham loaf ( kind of like meat loaf) oh the possiablities are limitless. Cut it up and freeze it to use at a later date. Have fun I have a lot left over and tonight it is scalloped potatoes slow cook at 300 for 2-3 hours. Mmmmmmmmmmm!

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  11:44:53 AM  Show Profile
I make ham & corn chowder out of it, we love it.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  1:58:59 PM  Show Profile
I like it in scalloped potatoes with green peas.
Or you could use it with chicken breasts and swiss cheese to make Chicken Cordon Bleu.
You can cut a pocket in the chicken breasts or roll the chicken around the filling, but I usually saute the breasts until they are browned on both sides, then just layer the ham and then the cheese on top of the chicken and bake it 'till finished-if you do this try to make sure the ham is covered with cheese as much as possible..it gets dry and crunchy if it isn't.
Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  2:25:53 PM  Show Profile
I'm on my way to Betty Jo's house. The eatin' sounds good there.
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  2:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Come on over ladies your are always WELCOME!!!!!

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  3:35:59 PM  Show Profile
How about a pot of beans? I took a ham bone with some meat still on it out of the freezer this morning and have it cooking with a pot of beans. Ham will not keep forever in the freezer, even in Foodsaver bags, so I try to keep it towards the front to remind me to use it within 6 months.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  4:04:01 PM  Show Profile
I add left over chopped ham to spaghetti sauce and add it to dishes like baked ziti.

I use the ham bone in a crockpot filled with lentils, brown rice and green beans and add a few spices to it like garlic and italian spices.

I add it to soups.

you can mix it in with macaroni and cheese

add it to your omelets

you can mix a bit of it in with broccoli and then add a can of cheese soup and warm it and serve over baked potatoes.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Jan 07 2007 4:05:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  9:06:43 PM  Show Profile
Then there's always the simple option of scrambling up some diced ham with eggs...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

cathy jane
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Cathy
Cynthiana Kentucky
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  6:45:47 PM  Show Profile
Another suggestion is to add small quantities to a Mary Jane's bakeover! I love the bakeover concept - I finally saved up and got my pan last fall - and boy do we enjoy it! To use up leftover sugar-cured, or city ham, I would add it to browned potatoes, carrots and corn seasoned with just a little onion, and stir in a bit of cheese - provolone is nice - then top with a cornbread or biscuit dough crust. Yum! Yum! For 3 of us to have all we can eat, I would use about 1 cup diced ham in the dish, and freeze the remaining ham in 1 cup portions for future quick and easy bakeovers.

cathy jane

"Treat everyone you meet today as if they are wearing a sign that says MAKE ME FEEL SPECIAL!" Mary Kay Ash
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Leftover ham? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page