Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Pressure Canning - recommendations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pressure Canning - recommendations Next Topic  

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  10:31:46 AM  Show Profile
I would like to start canning with a pressure cooker. Do you have suggestions and/or tips on the type of pressure cooker I should buy? What would be an ideal size?

I see that they also have electrical ones. Has anyone used an electrical one (sort of looks like a crock pot)?

Thank you for sharing your canning wisdom!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2016 :  09:01:11 AM  Show Profile
I have not used an electrical one, didn't even know about them!

I have a dial gauge and a weighted gauge canner and have used both. If you have a dial gauge, you are supposed to take it to your local county extension office (just google them) once a year to be tested. You should only have to take in the lid, but check with them. They hook it up to a machine and test that it register the proper amount of pressure so you can trust it.

The weighted gauge canners are not tested by the extension office. They just work, but you do need to keep the rubber ring oiled, clean, etc. from year to year and replace as needed.

Also, never store your pressure canners with the lids tightly twisted on. I've heard they can seal themselves, like a vacuum effect and you'll never get them open. Does anyone know if this is true? I always store with lid on, but upside down on top.

The main thing I would say is making sure you get a owners manual for your specific model - sometimes a challenge if you are buying second hand or someone has gifted you with one. I think I ended up googling and printing basic pressure canner instructions from the FDA or something like that.

I've seen pressure canners that are really tall, with a second rack, allowing you to do two stacks of jars. Mine are just big enough for 7 quarts of green beans, for example.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pressure Canning - recommendations Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page