Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Canning in the YellowRose Cottage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning in the YellowRose Cottage Next Topic  

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  04:58:09 AM  Show Profile
Love it!

Yesterday I prepared the pickled veggies for canning. This morning at 4:30a.m. I began canning out in the cottage. The fan kept me cool and Annie kept me company.

All went as planned except for a few minor hiccups. I have a mental list of what to do different next time - better write it down before I forget.

After canning I took Dutch oven back into the house to wash along with tea towels to be laundered. Un-plugged everything, blew out the citron candle, turned out the light, and locked the door behind me. Will go back later when water has cooled in electric canner to drain it and tidy-up.

The 5 squatty pint jars are cooling on my kitchen counter and all sealed. Don't you just love those squatty jars.

I already know what I will be canning next - Ploughman's Pickles - an English recipe from my new Ball Canning Book. I have started gathering what I will need for it. One of the items is Tamarind paste - I had no idea for it was - it said you could make your own - found tamarind in the store - coped on-line recipe - so next step is to make the paste than I can start about making the pickles/chutney. One of the other ingredients is dates and other things that make it part chutney.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  06:20:29 AM  Show Profile
'Sounds like a perfect couple of days to me, Sara! I'm so thrilled for you! I love those squatty jars, too, but have only ever used them for storing herbs and seeds... You've inspired me! I just may add them to this year's canning repertoire now! Is that the NEW, new Ball Canning Book? I haven't seen it yet - are there many new, different recipes! Can't wait to check it out! Have a wonderful time creating and canning! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  06:30:41 AM  Show Profile
Sara, your canning morning sounds just like a picture perfect Farmgirl event! UP and working while the day is still cool is a true farmgirl strategy. Yes, those squatty jars are fun and look so darn cute all full of delicious canned goods. Your new Ball Canning book sounds like fun and you are finding all kinds of yummy things to make. I always love to have a few of my canned goods to share as gifts too. Do you like to give things away as well?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  06:38:04 AM  Show Profile
Nini, check out the review I did on the new canning book http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76076 I have found many recipes I want to try.

Winnie, out of the 5 pints I will give 4 away. I like to decorate the jars with cloth toppers and pretty labels.

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  07:58:01 AM  Show Profile
Sara, your morning sounds perfect! I can just picture it. Yes, I love those squatty little jars too!

I love doing recipes the hard way too..like making your own tamarind paste. Sigh.

Enjoy your experiences.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  11:09:53 AM  Show Profile
Judith, I think of canning as part of my play time so I like doing unusual recipes. It's work but it's something I enjoy.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2016 :  08:01:35 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the link, Sara! I think I'll have to drop by the bookstore and check it out!

Canning, to me, is extremely therapeutic. I just love every single step leading right up to the final pinging! LOL! But the best part is just reaching up to the shelves and pulling down a jar of homemade goodness. No worries about where the food came from, how it was processed, whether it's going to taste good or not. And NO RECALLS. I just had to return over $100 of recalled organic frozen veggies to Costco a few weeks back! (A lot of it was dehydrated - corn, mixed veggies - but they were very happy to refund my money - they even looked up the purchases going by the dates on my jars. Note: DATES: extremely important!). This made me even more determined to grow my own (or buy local organic), and to preserve my own. When I can (or do ANY type of food preservation, for that matter) I know where my food came from, how it was grown or raised, how it was processed... and it tastes good. 100% peace of mind guaranteed. You can't get better than that!

All of my friends and family think it's a huge waste of time, citing, "What the grocery store is for!" They sure are ready and willing to take a jar of home canned goodness whenever they drop by! LOL! Please forgive me if I've mentioned this before, but: My mother is absolutely addicted to my homemade pickle relish - she requests it all the time. She loves it so much so that when I give her a jar, she makes all sorts of foods that require relish, and often polishes the jar off in just a few days. She said she could EAT it by the jar! LOL! This year I think I'm going to make her an entire case full for her birthday! She'll be thrilled! :)

Have fun today, girls!

Hugs and love,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2016 :  09:13:58 AM  Show Profile
Grocery shopping today I finished my list of items for the Ploughman's pickles. Turnip, cauliflower, zucchini, red onion, and garlic. I have my sister's cucumbers and prepared the tamarind. Will prep the veggies today and hopefully will can in the morning. The recipe is an English pub pickle/chutney and is traditionally served on an aged cheddar cheese sandwich. Can't wait to try.

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2016 :  3:25:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sara,

I've started my canning the last two days too. Picked 13 pounds of strawberries on Tuesday. Made strawberry jam yesterday, strawberry rhubarb is cooking in the canner now...

The pub pickle sounds sooooo good!!!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2016 :  4:36:18 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, your strawberry jam and rhubarb sounds tasty. I've eaten rhubarb pie but never cooked it myself.

I can in stages so today I did all the steps up to canning. Early tomorrow morning I will take the cooked pickles to the cottage to can. I will have to reheat it to a boil on the counter burner than can in electric canner.

I cheated and made a cheese sandwich with it for lunch. I like it but it does have a distinctive flavor. I asked my sister if she wanted a pint and when she found out two of the ingredients are dates and turnips she said she wanted to try it first. Like I said it has a distinctive flavor. My sandwich had white American cheese and I can see where sharp cheddar would be better - it would stand up to the flavors of the pickle/chutney.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2016 :  04:05:53 AM  Show Profile
Annie and I went to the cottage at 4:30a.m. to start canning. Finished a little before six. Recipe said it made 5 pints ~ I only got 3. It called for a small this or a medium that. I guess my small and medium is different from theirs.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning in the YellowRose Cottage Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page