Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Help harvesting basil and oregano
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Help harvesting basil and oregano Next Topic  

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7039 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7039 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2016 :  10:34:56 AM  Show Profile
Can someone please tell me how to harvest basil and oregano? I'm pretty sure my plants are ready to be harvested but I want to make sure I do it right. Also what's the correct way to dry them?

Krista

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2016 :  10:41:55 AM  Show Profile
I haven't harvested any basil yet, but for oregano I usually cut almost the whole stem off, then dry in a dehydrator. After a few hours I'll just run my fingers down the stem and the dried leaves just fall off and crunch on their own. Before we had a dehydrator we'd use the oven on a low temp, but I'm not a good source on temp or time :) Where I live is a little too humid for just air-drying.

Rachel, #6992
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2016 :  11:00:17 AM  Show Profile
I grow and dry a lot of basil. I usually let the basil stay on the plant for as long as possible, picking the largest leaves as I need them for caprese salads, which we eat a LOT. Basil leaves also make a nice garnish. I usually don't dry it until later in the fall, when the plants are getting really leggy and I think we will have a frost that will kill the plants. When you are ready to dry it, just pinch the leaves off at the base with your fingernail or cut them if you have to -- I prefer to get my hands nice and basil-smelling. Ha! Rinse the leaves well -- I like to let them soak for a bit and then swish the water off several times, then spin them in my salad spinner. You don't need to dry them off completely before putting them into the dehydrator. Just put them in a single layer on your dehydrator racks and let them run on a low heat until they are dry but not too dark. I put them into plastic zip bags when they are cool. Leave them for a couple of weeks to make sure there's no residual moisture (you can put them back into the dehydrator if there is) and then put them in glass jars and store them somewhere dark. When I use the dried basil, I crumble the leaves up as I add them to whatever I'm making. They are still really really yummy on a caprese salad in the middle of winter, but nothing's like fresh!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7001 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7001 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2016 :  11:13:04 AM  Show Profile
Krista my harvesting info comes from the Rodale Herb Book 1976 - it's my go to book for herbs.

Harvest most herbs in the mornings when oil is at the highest. Wait till dew is dried off. When growing basil I like to have several plants one for harvesting fresh and two for preserving.

Basil - best to harvest 1st cutting before flowering but I have dried it with flowers. Cut the center stem - leaving stem with at least one node for regrowth.

Basil is difficult to dry so a dehydrator is best. If you want to dry it by hanging up it must be dried within 3 days - if not finish in warm oven/dehydrator. After drying remove leaves from stems and store in air tight container.

I find freezing basil is the way to go. After washing and removing leaves from stems put leaves in ice tray. Cover with water & freeze. Put basil ice cubes into freezer zip lock bag or freezer container. Use in recipes calling for basil. Not for fresh recipes.

Basil may also be preserved in vinegar or olive oil. Basil does not hold up well so after the vinegar or olive oil is flavored strain to remove the leaves. Basil vinegar may be stored in cool dark place up to a year if sealed tightly - basil oil is good in refrigerator for a couple of months. If garlic is added to the oil it is good in refrigerator for only a couple of weeks because it will grow bacteria.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7039 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7039 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2016 :  11:22:17 AM  Show Profile
So if I cut my basil correctly then it will regrow, right? My plan for this year is to just dry my basil. As of now I don't plan on using fresh very often. I will share a picture and have you let me know if mine is ready for harvesting or if I'm still to early. I'm afraid of it flowering because I heard it makes the flavor of basil go bad.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2016 :  11:25:54 AM  Show Profile
Ha! I never had trouble with flowering, because we eat the stuff by the handful! You can always pinch the flower heads off when they form. Caprese salad is a good way to use it, and you can ALWAYS make pesto and freeze it if you think you need to harvest right away. I pick the leaves any time they are 1.5 inches long or more. Throw a few leaves in your spaghetti sauce, or use it as a garnish on a pasta salad. Can you tell I am sort of hooked on the stuff?

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7039 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7039 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2016 :  11:58:02 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, that exactly what I want. I recently discovered my love for herbs but since I'm not extremely familiar with them I figured I would start out with drying and some occasional fresh. Here are my pictures. Don't mind the gate. It's needed to keep the dogs out. They ate a whole basil plant already so I had to get a gate if I wanted to save the rest of my garden.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2016 :  10:32:59 PM  Show Profile
Krista,, so glad you asked about Basil,,, I too have a lovely Basil plant that I had planned to use over the Winter, but drying it 1st.. and was told by several Local folks here that it's not easy to dry.... I like the Ice cube method Sara mentioned.

as for my oregano,,, mine back in Washington and here in the mountains of Central Calif.,,, grows like weeds and re-grows easily.. I usually just hang it and let it dry like I do with my lavender..
:>)

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7039 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7039 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2016 :  12:38:46 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the advice Grace! Dumb question... do you melt the ice cube first?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2016 :  3:29:55 PM  Show Profile
don't laugh,,, if I am using a sprig of Basil in a cocktail,,, I just plunk the ice cube into the drink...(cucumber & basil martini...now you know my little happy secrete! lol!)

if using it for cooking (pasta sauce mostly) I thaw and drain the water off before using the basil.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2016 :  10:45:35 PM  Show Profile
Basil can also be made into pesto and frozen in ice cube trays. It will also easily root in water to then be potted and brought inside to a sunny window for use all winter.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2016 :  07:10:26 AM  Show Profile
I used the first of my basil last night to make caprese bites- stuck a leaf on a toothpick with a cherry tomato and piece of mozzarella. Drizzled with a balsamic reduction that I now know how to make :) It was delicious! I can't wait to get some more out of my plants.

Rachel, #6992
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7039 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7039 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2016 :  11:51:38 AM  Show Profile
That's genius Grace!!
I'm not big into pesto. What are all the things you can use it for?
Rachel, that sounds really good. I have tons of cherry tomatoes ready to be picked. Now I know what to try!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2016 :  3:28:19 PM  Show Profile
I grow basil in my herb bed, and let some go to flower because I love the smell and look in flower arrangements. On the porch by the kitchen all summer I keep a potted basil. I trim off what I need each meal, and try to keep it from flowering by pinching it back. It becomes lush and pretty, as well as keeps us in basil all season. I then dry what is left at the end of the season in the dehydrator, crush using a mortar and pestle, and put in a canning jar with a tight plastic lid. Much better than store bought. I also freeze some in ice cube trays, too.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Niocle

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7039 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7039 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2016 :  10:12:24 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, what does pinching it back mean?

Yesterday I picked my first basil leaf, brought it inside, washed it, and ate it with some crackers! Wow! Can I say that was an amazing mixture. I didn't realize how much I would love fresh plain basil! Now I'm just trying to figure what else I can put basil on. I'm thinking of making a pizza with basil.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Help harvesting basil and oregano Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page