knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2007 :  9:07:22 PM  Show Profile
How many of you belong to a book club? I would love to try and get one started in my area so I am looking for hints on how to get one off the ground as well as any other helpful info you may be able to give.
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  07:24:04 AM  Show Profile
I am in a book club with my mom and sister. My mom lives in Virginia, Amanda is in Nashville and I am in Arkansas. We all pick a book to read and they we do three way calling to discuss what we read. It's a lot of fun. There are some good websites about strating book clubs that even have book recomendations. I'd do a google search!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  11:40:20 AM  Show Profile
I belong to two book clubs. The last one I joined was started by a lady in the neighborhood. Our mailboxes are lined up in a cluster and she laminated and posted a flyer on many of the clusters in the area. We had a great response 18 ladies signed up.
The first one I joined has about 10 woman in it. The gal who started it but up a flyer at our independent book store. We have had several woman join by calling the bookstore to see if they know of a book group taking new members.
We usually choose books by having everyone bring two books to the meeting and everyone votes for the ones they want to read for the coming year. Good luck. I have great fun with the ladies in the book group.
Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  4:29:57 PM  Show Profile
One note about posting flyers on mailboxes - It is ILLEGAL to do so if you don't have postage and they are not delivered by a postal carrier! Just post NEAR and not ON the boxes and you'll be okay. I learned this bit of info from experiance!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  5:48:45 PM  Show Profile
I belong to a book club-I love it!!
A woman that I work with started it. She basically just invited people that she knew, and that she thought had similar interests, etc. There are seven of us-3 from work, and 4 who work elsewhere. At our first meeting in September we were asked to each come with one idea for a book that we would like to read with the group. Now, we are working our way through them! We meet about once a month to 6 weeks. The woman who started it doesn't mind hosting it-her house is centrally located for us, although when we read "1000 days in Venice" we met at an Italian restaurant. We usually order in food, and we each bring a drink or dessert or something.
Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  6:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle.

This is a link to the oldest book club in America. My mom graduated some years ago. It is a pretty neat graduation and parade.

http://www.ciweb.org/clsc.html

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  06:29:54 AM  Show Profile
We have had a book group going for 8 years now. We rotate who hosts each month. We started out with about 8 of us, it grew to 12, and now has reduced back to 6 constant readers. We try to add new members, but with busy schedules and families, it's hard to get consistent attendance. But, we still enjoy getting together. As far as the books, the host chooses. We have read books that I normally would never have picked up, but ended up really enjoying!

Karin
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic book club Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page