melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - May 25 2016 :  1:48:34 PM  Show Profile
I'm having a terrible time walking "Hildy." She continually grabs a portion of the leash next to her collar and refuses to release it while we walk-she's already bitten thru a retractable leash and I am frankly....at my wits end. No amount of scolding or firm command or physically removing the part of the leash out of her mouth lasts for only a second or two. Makes teaching her to walk on a leash very very trying!

I thought maybe a harness leash where the leash is behind her would do the trick ===Any suggestions?

She is SO stubborn--

Melody

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - May 25 2016 :  4:50:58 PM  Show Profile
I like the harness for my wienerdogs. It is easier on their necks and it is harder for them to wiggle out. You could also rub hot sauce on the leash to stop the chewing.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 25 2016 :  6:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Jaxon pulls a lot so I use a halti harness on him. I have a thing that attaches to the end of a leash so you can walk two dogs at once--I attach one to the harness and the other to his collar. He responds better to the harness than to a collar. It seems like he respects it more.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog on Tumblr: eclecticstarlightcollectorbluff
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 25 2016 :  7:19:53 PM  Show Profile
I was taught to use a choke chain I was not happy but if you put it on the dog correctly no choking. Thant being said I have never had a dog trained this way pull. or mess with the leash.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6582 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6582 Posts

Posted - May 25 2016 :  9:53:35 PM  Show Profile
I too use halters for my 3 Doxies, that way the leash is way at the top, where they can not reach it.

To me teaching a puppy to walk with a halter and a leash is the hardest part of their training. Patience, love and consistency is all you can do, she is is a puppy and just wants to play. But, with time she will get it.

Good Luck Melody.

I know Hildy has really grown, how about a picture?

Hugs,
Deb
Blessed in Colorado

FGOTM, Septembe, 2012

"You must do the thing you think you can not do." Eleanor Roosevelt

Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We're flexible like that!

http://shopus.longaberger.com/mountainwingslongabergerbaskets
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on May 25 2016 9:54:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - May 26 2016 :  07:20:57 AM  Show Profile
I would recommend a gentle leader. This goes over the nose just where dogs dislike to have pressure. They slow down right away. My first dog at first didn't like it. When she realized she got to go outside when it came out, she actually helped me put it on her nose.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6928 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6928 Posts

Posted - May 26 2016 :  10:17:27 AM  Show Profile
I love using halter leashes. They give me so much more control and my dogs seem to respond better. It made learning to go on walks easier. Once they got older then we switched to collar leashes. Good luck!

Krista

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - May 26 2016 :  10:27:44 AM  Show Profile
Melody, I am glad you asked the question. I got Annie at three months and she was already trained to a collar leash. When she outgrows it I will probably go with a harness because she will be a very large dog.

I do have a question on whether a harness is left on in the house like a collar or is it used only while walking?

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13617 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13617 Posts

Posted - May 26 2016 :  11:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Melody, I've never used a harness on a dog, but I've always had good success with collars. I wouldn't hesitate to use a harness though as they have lots of advantages. My current dog, Bramble, was very easy to collar train and does well with it.

I do, however, use a harness on my cat. She's only able to go outside when in her harness and on a long tether. She does VERY well with that, is very well trained to putting the leash on and off and being outside with it. We also take her on walks with it, just using the tether as a long leash and controlling where she goes. She LOVES to be outside but I don't want her to be roaming free, too many predators! I think that a predator got my last kitty and that was a hard loss to take!

Hope it all goes well!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  1:18:41 PM  Show Profile
Received Annie's harness today and took her for a walk. It was easy to adjust and put on. She didn't pull as much as she did with her collar. Every bird and flying insect catches her eye and she wants to chase after them.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Harness or Collar leash? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page