EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  11:57:46 AM  Show Profile
I have had Rhode Island Reds and Aracauanas for years and some of my hens are getting up there in age - What kinds of chickens do you have and what are the best laying hens? Do you have any chicken secrets to share?

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  4:55:17 PM  Show Profile
We too have the RIR's and I'd say stick w/ them. They are laying fools! Our hens have just about laid out too. Out of 3 hens, only 1 is laying, and even then it's about 1 egg every other day. The girls will go to an adoptive home once they are completely laid out. Right now I have no idea who is still productive. So when the times comse for new chicks....I'll get more of these for sure and add them to our existing flock of younger birds

We also have Black australorps. these are a nice even tempered bird like the RIR's. Buff Orpingtons are hardy layers too and just too cute. Our other hardy laying hens are Dominiques and Wyandottes

It's been a challenge though since most of these hens went through a hard molt together. For a while it was 1 egg a day. But during the summer, I was getting close to a dozen-including some from the RIR's. Our total flock is 16 standards and 7 silkies. Nevermind the bantam size, but those silkie hens have been laying their fool heads off this winter too! I just have to be really vigilant about pulling their eggs right away. More eggs in the nest box, and they'll go to setting in a heartbeat.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  5:53:03 PM  Show Profile
I have banties now...a mixed flock..which is fun. The best layers I ever had were a mixed flock of RI Reds, BArred Rocks (love them!) and Auracanas. I had that mix for years. When we moved here I decided to go for little and cute. THey still lay well too and take up less space..but for major production I would pick the three breeds above. White leghorns lay like crazy too, but they are small and flighty and I just can't stand them. I like calmer birds.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  7:08:53 PM  Show Profile
I have found the RI reds to be the most hearty of the chickens I have had, the black and white ones did not seem hearty - do yours molt at different times? How do you deal with the lack of light in the winter?

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  9:25:56 PM  Show Profile
I just love Buff Orpingtons. They are really hardy birds and great brown egg-layers in my experience. They are so pretty, too! They are big and calm and friendly. Right now we have mostly Auraucanas(sp?), and they are great layers here, too. There was a period of time when they would lay when the others had slowed down for the winter, as they seem to do. I know that can be "fixed" with artificial lighting, but I don't have the setup for that right now. Have fun with your chickens! I just love them!!! And the eggs?!?!?! There are none better, in my book, than those from your own hens!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  11:56:46 PM  Show Profile
I've not had chickens but Missy has. Just from being around hers I know that I'm getting RIR. Love Auraucanas -- especially the roosters. They are so pretty. The eggs are the best. I've been having to buy eggs because Missy's hens are not laying much in the winter. It just kills me to have to buy eggs at the store.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com http://rcpicaday.blogspot.com

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands -Proverbs 31:13
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  03:53:32 AM  Show Profile
My main flock had been Barred Rocks for the last nine years. They're dependable, lay all winter, are hardy, have a good food to egg ratio and customers were always happy with the eggs. By mistake I ended up with RI Reds, Black Sexlinks and one Barred Rock when I repalced my layers last year. They're all laying well. I don't think breed matters much as long as you buy a breed known to lay well. If you're in a cold winter climate you'll want a hardy breed.

We've always had a variety of breeds to keep the hens a little more interesting. Buff Orps, Speckled Sussex, New Hampshire Red, White Rock, Americauna and Egyptian Fayoumis are some of the other breeds we've had or currently have. The only breed I dislike is Egyptian Fayoumis. They're constant motion, wild acting, roost 20' up in the trees to be picked off by the owls and interrupt everything. These aren't the calm, dirt-scratching hens I like. They were so hyperactive they made customers nervous. People got back into their cars because of them.

Kathy, for lack of light this time of year, you can add a lightbulb in the coop. Turn it on first thing in the morning if you're an early riser or when the sun is setting for a few extra hours of light. That should help.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com

Edited by - ThymeForEweFarm on Jan 05 2007 03:55:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  5:10:38 PM  Show Profile
We have Buff Orpingtons and they are regular egg layers with nice sized pretty brown eggs. They are also pretty friendly birds and fairly easy to handle. I found a website that had a chart for breeds that showed all kinds of information like egg size and production, winter hardiness and bird size. I will see if I can find it again and post it. I also have a couple of game hens but they lay small eggs and they are wild girls indeed!
Good luck, chickens are a joy to have :)
mag
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  09:35:57 AM  Show Profile
We have 3 Buffs too, and they are sweet. They are great layers too since the heavy plumage helps keep them warm. It's the heat they can't tolerate very well.

Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  09:22:25 AM  Show Profile
Any of you have 'town chickens'?
I'd love to have a few hens, but we live in town and I don't know how tough it would be to keep both the hens and the neighbors happy.

One more question: How old are roosters before they begin to crow?

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  10:57:28 AM  Show Profile
I have "in-town" chickens in a subdivision. I asked my neighbors first. They were a bit surprised when I said I wanted chickens but no roosters. They sort of laughed it off as a weird neighbor thing. Well I have 6 girls and there are no complaints. Their coop is far from the neighbor and they swear they don't hear them cackle anymore. They come over to get eggs on occasion and their daughter loves to come over to feed them on the weekends with me. The rest of the subdivision dosen't know I have them and I'm sure if they did know I would have to give up my girls. So far it's been 18 months and no complaints. I have 4 buff orpingtons and 2 araucanas. All are friendly and will come running when I go to the pen. They all liked to be held and I do bathe them when they get really muddy outside and I have guests come over. They don't mind a warm bath and sometimes they go to sleep during the washing process. I want my girls to look their best for when I have company, most of my friends have never seen a chicken up close so it's looks good for them if they are extra clean and happy. :)

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9402 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9402 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  3:48:14 PM  Show Profile
We have had chickens for about 8yrs. We started with Black Australorps and then got some Jersey Giants. They were both good layers. We hatched two broods of Austraulorps.
Now we have Black Star. They are good layers too. We have 16 and a rooster and we get so many eggs that we do sell them. They are still laying pretty well this winter. Until today the weather has been warm for this time of year so I think that's why they are still laying well. We do keep a light in the henhouse during the winter months.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  4:07:35 PM  Show Profile
Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshires were always good for us. They lay extra-large some times double yolks. Cornish Cross is a good dual hen. Lay xlarge, double yolk eggs and are good for meat also. They are big white chickens. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  8:35:39 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering whether the roosters begin to crow before they are mature enough for 'processing' ?
We live in town and I would love to have chickens for eggs, but I'd also like to have some for dinner, too.

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  8:56:12 PM  Show Profile
Faith, if you are able to have chickens in town but you are worried about crowing roosters you don't need a rooster for the hens to lay eggs. So a few hens and you have eggs and meat too.
And then your neighbors might buy eggs from you. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

psouper
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

50 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  11:37:08 AM  Show Profile
It seems I"ve had better luck with Golden Buffs than with my Barred Rocks.

Polly

www.favoriteapron.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Chix-N-Dirt
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

South Eastern Kentucky
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  4:18:34 PM  Show Profile
Even though I did not post the original question, I am enjoying this thread. I have been wanting buff orpingtons for a long time. From what I have read they are supposed to be big and calm birds that lay well. I always go back and forth on whether to get them or a smaller breed that would cost less to feed. But they are so pretty.........They cost more and you know how you hate to waste money.........But they lay well in the winter..and they are so pretty.......
Go to Top of Page

back-yard-chicken-expert
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Katy
MASS
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  10:04:13 AM  Show Profile
Hey guys. I'm Katy, owner of Back-yard-chickens.webs.com and I am addicted to chickens! I have very many now, all listed on my site! My favorites have gotta be the Australorps and Wyandottes. Orpingtons are okay, but don't lay as much as some others. I used to have 3 RIReds and gave them up at year 5 to a family who wanted pet chickens. I didn't go back, though. First of all, I got a bit tired of them. Secondly, I they don't go broody, so you can't set them (see site and click on advanced chick care). They may work for you, but not for me.I never had much luck with Aracaunas. The chicks were very fragile and died even in proper care. Try easter eggers, a hardy Aracauna hybrid. I hope this info was helpful for you. Thanks and please check out the forums on my site!

Any questions? Email me, the chicken expert at info.backyardchickens@gmail.com or go to my site www.back-yard-chickens.webs.com. We have forums, too!
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  03:36:08 AM  Show Profile
We have sold our house in a waterfront community and getting ready to build on a 3/4acre site. So glad to have the freedom to raise chickens and a clothesline! I want to raise laying hens and this thread has given me some great information. I only want enough eggs for me and my sister. I'm guessing maybe 2-3 hens? How long do hens live after they stop laying eggs? I saw where someone adopts her out after laying ceases. What do most of you do when this happens? What exactly is scratch? Do they eat food scraps? Maybe there is a book that will answer all of this. Bathing chickens? Any advice about this would be greatly appreciated. Also what is the best hen house to build? I am wanting to build a pretty one like I saw in MJ's magazine with wallpaper and all! I know I am getting ahead of myself if I do this but I already have three names picked out for the girl! Henrietta(of coarse), Ruthie, Bertha Faye(Berthy Faye)

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com

Edited by - mommatracy on Aug 12 2009 03:39:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:29:56 AM  Show Profile
Tracy, I always just sell my hens when they quit laying. Then they start right back again. Scratch is the feed. It comes in several ways. Like 3-way up to 7-way, I think. It's mainly cracked corn, wheat and milo. I just use 3-way. Then alot of people use layer pellets or mash. It's just a high protein feed to help them start laying eggs. I hardly ever use that and mine lay. I also feed some scraps. And chickens are NOT vegitarians, either, so some meat is ok but I only do this occasionally. There was a workshop I went once and the guy said he sometimes feeds his raw hamburger and pork. They do eat anything that moves. The other day my roo caught a baby bird and killed and ate it. Poor little thing. They eat frogs and mice and snakes, too.

I have never bathed mine. But I put Diotamaceous Earth sometimes in the hen house. You could sprinkle it on them, too, for lice. I put apple cider vinegar in the water about once a month for worm control, too. And when it's hot I put elecrolytes in the water. There are several books and magazines around with all kinds of info and plans to build houses, too. Also Backyard chickens site is good to go to.

Good luck and have fun!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:31:03 AM  Show Profile
And hello, Katy. I have been to the BYC forum. Lots of good info there. Welcome to MJF, by the way.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:48:25 AM  Show Profile
Our favorites are buff orpingtons and barred rocks. Both do well in our cold northern climate. We feed layer crumbles and scratch is more of a treat for them...and like Kristin said, thay are NOT herbivores, they're omnivores. They LOVE grasshoppers and worms, and just last week one of our old girls grabbed a small garter snake and ate it! We have two hens right now that are about 8 years old and I'm sure aren't laying anymore (but still get broody). They're so sweet and just like pets, that they'll die of old age on our little farmette. The meat chickens, however, do make it to the freezer lol. We love our chickens and I'm sure you will too.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  10:14:46 AM  Show Profile
When this years chicks start laying, I'll sell my old hens for slaughter. I know they will start laying again in a few months. I think the best use of my feed $ is to feed the layers and not the "resters".

Belle
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  6:36:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to all for the information. I will check out the site and probably pick up some books on the subject.
Tracy

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Best Laying Hens? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page