Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What would *you* do?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What would *you* do? Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  09:56:31 AM  Show Profile
When going through my late mother's effects several months ago, I came upon a box filled with my baby clothes. I've already given the fancy Christening clothes and other silk things to my professional cleaner for archival storage. Some clothes had been knitted by relatives on my father's side and I'm preserving them as-is also, but most are just little cotton sundresses and rompers, some with cute matching bonnets. One little toddler-sized sundress looked as if it might have been my mother's first and last attempt at sewing something herself; it's hand-stitched, not machine-sewed, and is really pretty awful, but I have two photographs of me wearing the outfit back in 1949 or thereabouts and it looks cute -- plus, well, it was a sweet thing for her to do.

Other dresses may have been made by relatives or friends, since they have no labels in them and appear to be made from the same pattern. Most are in pretty clean condition, after laundering and ironing, but they're obviously used toddler stuff. Some of the fabrics are fabulous examples of 40s prints and are in remarkably good condition, the colors still as bright as ever.

I don't have or even know any children so there's no one to hand these clothes down to, and anyway at this stage, they're really antiques! I am not the doll-collecting type, either, so no, these togs would not make useful costumes for moppets.

It probably makes very little sense to just hang on to my baby clothes. Am I wrong? Should I cut the cotton things up and try to make a quilt out of them? Reuse the fabrics and trims as sachet pillows? I'm no crafter, by any means (this I inherited from non-sewing Mom), although I can sew a little.

Girls, what would you do with all this stuff? It has tremendous sentimental value to me, but it seems weird to just have a lot of baby clothes on hangers in my closet.

Rosemary

Edited by - Rosemary on Jan 04 2007 10:05:12 AM

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  10:03:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Rosemary, I think, to quote you, : "It has tremendous sentimental value to me"...that you answered your own question. If you value anything, you shouldn't give it up. Never mind what you think the rest of the world might think. If you give it up, it's gone forever. Keep it and maybe store the clothes in a small box/container. Mind you, this opinion comes from a lifelong 'keeper/saver' and is just one girl's opinion.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Jan 04 2007 10:04:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  10:08:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! Oh, I wouldn't dream of getting rid of these things! I mean to keep them. I just wonder if I should make the cotton things into something I would really use every day. I wear my late father's old Irish sweater all the time. I'm very sappy that way. Would you just keep the things as is, and pack them away, then?
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  10:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I probably would. But then, I don't have any sewing talent. I'm sure one of the talented ladies here will give you lots of great ideas about how to repurpose all your cute clothes. That's cool about your dad's sweater - like he's got his arms around you when you wear it.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  10:15:50 AM  Show Profile
IF IN DOUBT, wait, put them away in a ceder chest or storage box for a while and think about it. Like Janice said, once they are gone you can't get them back. I wish I had some of my baby clothes. What size are they? Do you have any girls in your family that would like them for dolls? Take them out of your closet so you don't have to make a decision until you are ready.If you decide to keep them, then pick your very favorites, and maybe let the rest go.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  10:23:48 AM  Show Profile
on the dress that you have a picture of yourself wearing it..my suggestion is to get a shadow box type frame and get some archival paper to fit in the back of the frame, then very carefully frame the dress and then put two of the pictures of yourself wearing the dress in the frame as well...and a picture of your mother... It will then have even more value to you ...I think.That's what I would do anyhow with that one particular dress.

The others I would hold on to for a while.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  10:39:50 AM  Show Profile
Tina has an excellent idea and everyday when you look at that shadow box on your wall you can think of your Mom and how she must have worked so hard to make that little dress for you.
Di
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  11:07:21 AM  Show Profile
I think the idea of a shadow box is an great idea. As for the other things, I think your idea of a quilt is a great one. If it seems strange to you to hold on to those clothes as they are then why not transform them into something you will use, appreciate, and look at everyday. Of course, I'm not much of a saver, but I do like to turn things that have sentimental value into something that can continue to have meaning for me. For example, I make plaster molds of pregnant women's bellies that can then be decorated and hung in a nursery, bedroom whatever. (might sound strange to some of you, but they really pretty neat.) Anyway, I made one of my belly when I was pregnant with my last daughter. She is named after both my mother and my grandmother. I had about a dozen antique tea cups and saucers that were my grandmother's and they had been sitting in a box for a few years. So, I decided to break them into pieces and make a mosaic on the outside of the belly cast. It now looks like a beautiful mosaic bowl that holds tremendous sentimental value for me and ties the memory of my grandmother to her great grandaughter and namesake. I guess the most important thing is to do whatever you feel good about. But by making the shadow box, that would be preserving one piece just as it was and perhaps that would free you up to go for it with the others and create something new with them!

-Megan
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  11:13:33 AM  Show Profile
An elderly lady at our church gives 70 year old baby clothes out for gifts. As you can imagine they are VERY very special.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  11:19:53 AM  Show Profile
If it were me I'd probably save the one that I had pictures of myself in and that I thought my mom had made and if I didn't have anyone to give the rest to I'd most likely make something out of them, a quilt or pillow-something of that sort.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  11:26:55 AM  Show Profile
I have some of baby clothes and they mean so much to me. I have them hung up as decoratation or the shawdow box is a great idea.
HUgs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  11:28:28 AM  Show Profile
The first thing I thought of was framing them also. I'd never cut them, they are too precious! I wouldn't think you would even have to have a picture of yourself. I have this same problem, a box stored of teeny clothes. I'm going to try framing one. I thinks its a wonderful country chic idea! Good luck with your treasures Rosemary. :)

Babs

Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  11:42:44 AM  Show Profile
My neighbor has a peg rack hanging on a wall in her quest room. She found antique hangers and has the clothes hung in a row. It is just darling. I love the idea of the shadow box with you and the dress in it.
Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  12:09:41 PM  Show Profile
Don't even think about getting rid of them. I agree they should be put into a shadow box or like Laura ( the other one not me) hanging them up for everyone else to enjoy. Good luck
Laura
3 barrels, 2 hearts, 1 passion
http://www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  12:43:49 PM  Show Profile
I agree with most all of the posts...however, I am a quilter with limited storage space. My inclination would be to save the dress that your mother made and that you have pictures showing yourself wearing the dress.

I would then commission someone to make a wall-hanging sized quilt with the other garments. Perhaps create a journal or scrapbook of the leftover pieces and include some of your memories and pictures of your mom. Try to think of any occasions, parties, events that you attended while wearing the outfits. You can create a vingette of the wall-hanging, pictures of you as a child, and the journal/scrapbook on a shelf.

This might have more meaning to anyone in the family who receives these items later on....It would provide some sort of reference as to the materials and your childhood.

Sandy

I don't iron anymore. If I'm not wrinkle-free, why should my clothes be?
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  6:06:36 PM  Show Profile
If there were some that you felt less sentimental about or they weren't in perfect condition, what about making a lap quilt with the fabric? this way you could continue to enjoy them everyday.

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  6:36:21 PM  Show Profile
I think I would do that shadowbox thing..great idea by the way!!...and then a quilt with the rest..I am sentimental about things...really sentimental..but would love the idea of a quilt..one of my favorite things anyway..with all the memories stitched right in.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  09:12:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to all of you for the terrific ideas. Rest assured, I wouldn't dream of getting rid of any of these things, which is why I appealed to you for salvage ideas.

Laura, you might not have meant to type "QUEST" room, but I'm glad you did. It made me smile, because in the past year, I've captured a disused bedroom for myself as a sort of getaway/meditation/"questing" space. If I ever write the Great American Novel, it will be in a big squishy chair in that room, on my Apple laptop. We use the room as a library, too, but mostly it's for me. I have all sorts of comforting memorabilia displayed or stored in it. I think I might choose one item from the baby-clothes cache and do something non-destructive with it for that room. (The shadow-box idea is fabulous. They can make pretty good lap desks for laptop computers, as well as wall hangings, I just realized. ) A lap quilt would be perfect for my mediation space, since it does get chilly up there in the dead of winter, but I've heard the cries of the "don't cut!" farmgirls, and think I might regret the carnage once I got into it.

Of course, I could always just put everything in an acid-free box, mark it "The Past," stick it in a closet somewhere and spend more of my life celebrating the PRESENT! :-)

Once more, girls, thank you! You all are so sweet.

Edited by - Rosemary on Jan 09 2007 09:48:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  09:17:23 AM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Miss Bee Haven

That's cool about your dad's sweater - like he's got his arms around you when you wear it.

I meant to thank you before now for saying that. It's exactly why I keep and wear the sweater. (Once Daddy's girl, always Daddy's girl.) You expressed the idea perfectly. I wish all girls could have a father as wonderful as mine was.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  10:01:51 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary- I am a big sentimental smoosh, so...don't cut! I'm not sure how many dresses, etc you have but I have seen people display them in many of the ways mentioned. I also saw someone use a long frame (like the size of a wall mirror) turned on it's side and they had a baby outfit from each of their five kids mounted and under glass like a big shadow box. It was even lit somehow and I always thought I might do that someday too! Another idea you could do is make a patchwork poster of pictures of these clothes if you don't like the clutter aspect.You know..sort of like the Doors of ...posters. Only this would be your clothes! Might be interesting and less expensive than the giant shadow box!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  10:13:47 AM  Show Profile
I saw in a magazine once where they hung an item of clothing on the wall and then an empty picture frame (all peely and chippy) around it to make the item look like the work of art that it is. Just another idea for you.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  2:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Rosemary - My dad is 86. Years ago, my mom was going to dispose of his very old satin jacket he wore when he was in an athletic club here in Louisville. When she threw it, I caught it. It has his name and the logo of the AC. Someday, I'll probably put it in a shadow box and hang it on a wall. If he and I were to cross a street even now, he would make me hold his hand.(I'm 57). Yep, that daddy's girl thing! Nothing else like it in the world! :)

Go to Top of Page

elah
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Emily
SW Michigan
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  08:14:06 AM  Show Profile
I agree with all the "don't cut it!" girls. I'm an avid sewer but would never cut up a piece of history. If you have some dresses that are not as sentimental I would consider calling a university in your area that has a costume department or fashion history department within their Family and Consumer Sciences area. A lot of them look for period pieces for the students to study and learn from. The more history you have about the piece the more likely they are to use it. I had recieved some dresses from the 40's era from a family friend when I helped her one time. I could only fit into one of the dress so I kept it but the rest I donated to my university. I know that they are in good hands and will help others learn our past.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  09:55:15 AM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by bramble
Another idea you could do is make a patchwork poster of pictures of these clothes if you don't like the clutter aspect.You know..sort of like the Doors of ...posters.

HEY!!! And it just so happens I'm a graphic designer by trade, with all the required bells and whistles at my disposal. I could display the poster and stash the inspirations.

Hmmm. Thinking about this real hard. Thank you! {{{hug}}}

You deserve a nice bowl of rice pudding. I'm going to post the recipe in the appropriate forum.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  09:56:15 AM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by vintagechica

I saw in a magazine once where they hung an item of clothing on the wall and then an empty picture frame (all peely and chippy) around it to make the item look like the work of art that it is. Just another idea for you.

I've actually done something like that myself. It just suits our old farmhouse, too. Will think about that.

Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  3:57:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I wish I had handmade baby clothes. I have kept several of my daughter's baby dresses, one that my brother made for her and one that my mother gave me for her. I will have to try the shadow box thing with the one as I ahve several pictures of ehr wearing the dress. It would make a great gift to her whe nshe has her own baby someday.

Well, I live in a small house. I keep stashing and then decluttering. One thing I ahve learned is that I do NOT want my kids to have to gothrough so much stuff. SO....as a quilter and an aprreciator of quilts (beauty and usefulness), I would probably take one or two dresses to cut and piece into a quilt with modern, new fabric to coordinate with them. The rest I would definitel pass on to a university (wish I knew of this sooner) or pack after cleaning properly into acid free box with paper to pass down. I have this gorgeous hand embroidered tablecloth and napkins my best friend gave me when she returned from a college semester in China. I refold it each year and keep in the box to pass to my daughter as she is her godmother. Also, I passed on the beautiful dresses she bought her each year for Christmas BACK to her when she had her twin girls. I'd rather see them worn than stored.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What would *you* do? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page