Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Ridges on Fingernails Next Topic  

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  10:04:21 AM  Show Profile
I have noticed in the last year or so that my fingernails are getting so many ridges in them. My toenails are even worse.

Is this something that comes with age (I am 55) or could it be a deficiency of some sort? My health isn't the greatest with a suppressed immune system and asthma problems.

I seldom have polish on my nails but they are constantly in the dirt and dishwater.

Any suggestions?

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  11:02:28 AM  Show Profile
I believe there is a difference in whether the ridges run horizontally or vertically. I also have vertical ridges and did a google search some time ago - there is a lot of information available. I treated myself to a manicure and the cosmetologist said that the vertical ridges result from the cuticles not being "tended to." Oh well...

Sandy

I don't iron anymore. If I'm not wrinkle-free, why should my clothes be?
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  11:04:54 AM  Show Profile
Patsy,

The NUTRITIONAL HEALING's explanation:

Vertical ridges indicate poor general health, poor nutrient absorption, and/or iron deficiency; They may also indicate a kidney disorder. Horizontal ridges can occur as a result of severe stress, either psychological or physical, such as from infection and/or disease. A horizontal indentation in the nail (Beau's line) can occur as a result of a heart attack, major illness, or surgery. Ridges running up and down the nails also indicate a tendency to develop arthritis.

Also, a deficiency of the B vitamins causes fragility, with horizontal and vertical ridges.

I hope this is helpful rather than alarming...

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  1:55:52 PM  Show Profile
Interesting info. I asked my hairdresser and she said it had been so long since she went to school she didn't remember. Mine have vertical ridges get worse all the time and if the nails grow at all, the ends look like zigzag. I have numerous auto immune problems and have attributed it to that. The Rheumatologist I went to recently was a waste of time and money, so I'm going to see an Internist my sinus Dr recommended. Hopefully, I'll get some answers.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  9:44:39 PM  Show Profile
Patsy & Ronna
My youngest son is being sent to a dermatologist for a similar problem. Poor kid has psoriasis, which is also immune system related. He is also very allergic...peanuts and all that, and had asthma as a small child. I think these things are all related. I would start with your internist and they will refer you to someone who can help. Good luck. I'd be interested in what you ladies find out.
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  09:08:22 AM  Show Profile
This can also be a sign of thyroid problems. Have you had it tested?

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  12:43:28 PM  Show Profile

Thyroid is another autoimmune disease, and I take Synthroid for it. When I was a baby, I had yellow spots with red centers (or vice versa, mother couldn't remember) and the Dr (who delivered me and also my son 32 years ago), said he'd only seen it once in med school and I was allergic to myself. That was probably 1946 or 47, long before ''auto immune'' disorders were catalogued under the same classification. I've had asthma all my life too, though as I got into my teens it didn't bother me. I saw a rheumotologist recently and he was a pompous arrogant jerk. Waste of my $30 co pay and then he billed the insurance as an injury claim. My ENT dr has referred me to an Internist who will hopefully help me with the Fibromyalgia and arthritis issues, which are also auto immune. I hope to get some answers and will gladly share. In the meantime, I won't allow any of this to control my life...
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2007 :  12:54:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm pretty young and pretty healthy, although I have developed asthma in the past couple of years. But I've had what I would consider vertical ridges in my fingernails as long as I can remember (at least since my teens). I always assumed it was because I don't bother to get manicures or tend my cuticles well. I hope that is evidence for the "no big deal" school of thought, although now it's making me nervous!
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  09:36:05 AM  Show Profile
Ronna-I was taking synthroid as well(I also have fibromyalgia, allergies),My naturopath put my on a natural thyroid because apparently the synthetic thyroid hormones don't work on all the areas of your thyroid(T4, etc.) Your TSH levels can be normal, but you can still have a sluggish thyroid. Not trying to impose this on you, but thought I would share. I've had sooo much improvement over the last couple of years with a better diet and a good naturopath and chiropractor.

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  1:15:35 PM  Show Profile
Missy, good info. My mother always insisted she be rx'd Armour thryroid, which is not synthetic-a dr had told her to take only natural years before. I'm going to address this with my dr, thanks. I had to push for the TSH test to begin with and when the results came back, the office called for me to come in again. He asked why they had checked it and I reminded him it was because I asked. He said I was right, the level was low. Since then, he listens to what I say about my health care needs.
the stress level in caring for my mother her last couple of years led to added weight from stuffing my face when I wasn't hungry and a round of prednisone a few months ago put another 10# on I didn't need. Now I'm facing 50# that need to go away and I'm not good at dieting. Enjoy food too much, especially my own cooking and baking!!
Thanks again, I'm learning a lot here.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  09:38:22 AM  Show Profile
Ronna-I tend to be a stress eater as well. Especially with chocolate!! Just take it one thing at a time and don't beat yourself up over it. Sounds like you have had a lot on your plate along with your own health issues. don't forget to take care of yourself and find some quiet time just for you every day even if it's only 10 min. Your body has a great way of telling you exactly what it needs!! Take Care!!

Blessings,

Missy

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  09:58:27 AM  Show Profile
I have ridges too, they run vertically. I'm in good health but suffer from migraines My nails grow fast, but are thin
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Ridges on Fingernails Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page