Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - May 11 2016 :  1:56:13 PM  Show Profile
Or cucamelons. Or Mexican sour gerkins. Whatever name by which you've heard of them. In one of the previous feeds (I think the "planted so far 2016 feed"), I mentioned I was trying to grow these this year and many sisters asked me to update later, so here is my first update!

The seeds I bought were from Baker Creek and I had 100% germination rate. I had to restart them because I had a dampening off problem with my first set, but they germinate at about the same rate as tomatoes and seem to grow at about the same rate as well.

I have two plants in a 10in terra cotta pot and one plant in the ground in my herb garden. The plants in the pot has grown better and faster than in the ground (not sure if it's my heavy soil-Gulf Coast clay-or longer sun hours that's causing the stunted growth in that one).

The plants in the pot have begun flowering. They are technically part of the cucumber family, which means they produce male and female blossoms, which require cross-pollination to produce. The leaves are about 1-2 inches across and the entire plant is adorable and dainty! A definite choice for container gardeners and attractive patio pants!

Here is a female blossom with my hand for scale:

“If more of us valued good food and cheer above hoards of gold, it would be a merrier world." - Tolkien

http://myfrenchreligion.blogspot.com/

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 12 2016 :  1:38:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm new to Texas. I've never heard of cucumelons. Interesting. After they produce, I'd love to see what they actually look like. Thanks.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - May 12 2016 :  7:07:51 PM  Show Profile
I want to try some this year too. Thanks for the update. We are in for frost for the next few nights so I haven't planted anything yet.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - May 13 2016 :  12:49:49 PM  Show Profile
Bear5- I'll update as soon as I have one that is harvestable size. I hand pollinated the first female blossom, so hopefully it grows in the next week or so. They're supposed to be really prolific.

Bonnie Ellis- I'm in zone 9a, I can't imagine a frost mid-May! I'm jealous! We have to do spring/fall gardens when most of the other zones do summer gardens because July and August are too hot to grow anything but hot peppers, sweet potatoes, and okra. It's pushing high 80s here this week already! These have been super easy, happy plants so far.

“If more of us valued good food and cheer above hoards of gold, it would be a merrier world." - Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 14 2016 :  11:03:40 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Ashely. I'm in the Texas Hill Country. Our garden is already producing string beans. In fact, we're having string beans with our supper tonight!
Can't wait to see and hear more about the mouse melons.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - May 30 2016 :  4:29:07 PM  Show Profile
Update! I've harvested about half a dozen today and yesterday. They're definitely full of flavor! Immediate sour after the first bite, then tastes strongly of cucumber.

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - May 30 2016 :  10:42:08 PM  Show Profile
Ashley...Cucamelon huh? Never heard of them. But so fascinating! I wonder how many a plant will
produce in a growing season? Keep us posted! I noticed somebody called the Mouse Melons...cute!

hugs and smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  1:16:03 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, very interesting. Thanks for the update. How large do they get?
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2016 :  4:29:14 PM  Show Profile
The fruit itself is harvestable at about the size of a small grape. The vines are just going crazy! I keep wrapping them around the cage and older vines. Imagine a regular cucumber growth pattern and size, but scaled back by maybe a factor of 8 (or 10 depending on the cucumber).

I've also noticed that my lemon cukes have powdery mildew (Texas is having record rain, humidity and flooding at the moment), but these don't seem to mind the weather at all!

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2016 :  11:53:14 AM  Show Profile
Ashley, we are certainly having record rainfall! The string beans in the garden are producing big time! However, the okra are turning yellow. I guess too much rain for them.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2016 :  8:43:03 PM  Show Profile
Geez! The rain! We're fortunate to not be in a flood zone, but the clay soil is so saturated it's darn near quicksand! My cucumbers and tomatoes are loving the rain, but so are the bugs. The snails and caterpillars are going crazy eating the plants and the mosquitoes are eating us. Haha!

I'm on the south side of Houston. Where are you?

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2016 :  4:39:08 PM  Show Profile
I'm in the Hill Country. The south side of Houston is getting and has got a lot of rain. The rain here has finally stopped. I finally got to mow the yard. I started yesterday, and finished today. Part of the front yard was like mowing in the marsh. LOL
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Lady in Pearls
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Ashley
Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2016 :  8:58:59 PM  Show Profile
Haha! Same here! The mosquitos are better since we've mowed, but it took 6 weeks for the ground and grass to even dry out that much!

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Mouse melons Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page