Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 The Amish Cook!!! What a treasure of a book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic The Amish Cook!!! What a treasure of a book Next Topic  

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2006 :  1:38:21 PM  Show Profile
I was looking for the perfect gift for my best friend and saw this cookbook at Borders. We both have traveled to the Amish country in PA together and love their lifestyle and pride in their farms, etc. This book has great recipes and the column that the author writes for the paper as well. The pictures are gorgeous and bring me right back there when I look at them.

Our Borders in Riverhead only had one, so I traveled 30 miles to the other one and got myself a copy today. Cannot wait to settle down with it.

Also got Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook and Kitchen Reader. It is very charming. I like cookbooks with the stories to go with the food, so both are perfect.

I wish some of you lived by me so we could get together and have a dinner club. I'd make you an Amish dinner one night!

XXOO Sheryl-lyn

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2006 :  1:39:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh, the book is called The Amish Cook: Recollections and Recipes From an Old Order Amish Family by Elizabeth Coblentz
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2006 :  5:47:46 PM  Show Profile
Ohhh, I have that book! She was approached by a young man to write a weekly newspaper column of traditional Amish recipes, and he would edit and syndicate them! It's a sweet little book, I know you'll enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  4:54:25 PM  Show Profile
Sounds lovely, Sheryl-lyn - I love the Amish too, and I love cookbooks with anecdotes. I will have to check out amazon for this one!
Best wishes,
Jayne

Edited by - daffodil dreamer on Jan 04 2007 4:54:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2007 :  7:32:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jayne:

I have some more farming magazines! Do you want me to pass them on, or are you like me and trying to clean out? Either way, it will be ok.

You will absolutely love the Amish Cook!! I have been reading the Jan Karon cookbook too. They both are just such life affirming books about family, food and traditions.

Hope you are well!

XXOO Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  9:39:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sheryl-lyn,
Sorry it took me so long to reply to this - have been away on holidays. I would love any of those magazines, if you haven't already cleaned then out! I enjoyed reading the last one you sent me. I will send you off some goodies in return - anything special you would like?
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  3:31:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jayne:

Nothing in return is required! Just thought you might enjoy the magazines as you dream about returning to the land one day. When I saw the amount that postage costs you to send to the USA I thought I would send you my magazines whenever I read them. It is much cheaper for Americans to send to you than vise versa. I wonder why? Anyway, the cost is not much for me, so I'll just send some your way every few months.

I hope all is well with you and your family. Are you doing any sewing?

Love,
Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  04:35:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sheryl-lyn, I have both cookbooks and LOVE them!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  08:49:52 AM  Show Profile
JAYNE,
To send something to you from the states, do special forms have to be filled out, or just mail it like you would here?
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  09:49:22 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie:

I used the gift cards that several students gave me for Borders to buy both books. One of my classes wants me to make them Amish food as a reward one day. I might do it!

I used Jan Karon's book to make potatoes last week and they were so good. Might try the corn bread recipe next.

Have fun cooking everyone!

XXOO Sheryl-lyn

Nancy Jo--I mailed my stuff to Jayne from the post office and I did have to fill out a paper when I was there.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic The Amish Cook!!! What a treasure of a book Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page