Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Just Stuff Next Topic  

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  7:21:44 PM  Show Profile
I just got a flyer from a favorite quilt shop today & found out that dollmaker GAIL WILSON will be teaching several classes there in March. I SO want to be able to take a class, as she is one of my dollmaking heros! The cost is a whopping $150...not SO bad because it includes the class, kit and lunch. Anyway I was just SO excited at the prospect I HAD to tell my farmgirls! I think Frannie has taken one of her classes (yoohoo Frannie?) and said she's just a wonderful teacher! Maybe I can eat less and afford to go! Crossin' my fingers...
Or... maybe I can refrain from buying fabric for a while... I found beautiful Sturbridge reproduction cottons at a local "dime store" this week for $2.99 a yard! They get all the bolt ends, it's hit or miss...but once in a while I stike gold there!

That's my week in sewing. What is everyone else doing?
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.

Edited by - abbasgurl on Dec 29 2006 1:21:11 PM

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  9:17:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh my...refrain from buying fabric??????????????yikes!! Maybe you could dip into grocery money instead...haha
I have heard, too, that she is a wonderful teacher..I sure hope you can go..but don't stop buying fabric..I would have to make up for you!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

smallcoffee
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Susan

18 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  11:33:54 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda, What kind of dolls do you make? I've made fabric Waldorf style dolls in the past, but have never been fully satisfied with my results. Also, where is the "dime store" where you find your fabric. Not that I should be looking given all my unfinished projects. I just came home with a bulging bag of yarn from the Dollar Store.

Susan
(Also in NW Indiana)
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  1:20:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Susan(also in NW Indiana),
I make primitive style rag dolls and reproduction (1800's) dolls. There are a few photos somewhere in the stitching/craft room forum. I think there is a photo of one of my Columbian dolls too. I LOVE the Waldorf style dolls! Made several when my boys were little. I just passed on my Waldorf Doll books to someone here at "the farm". Have you seen the Magic Cabin Company's dolls? Just lovely!
Don't know where you are, NW Indiana covers a lot. The store is Called "Alco" and is in a little town called Lowell, just south of Crown Point, IN (The Lake County Seat). I know a lot of quilters go there to shop, but do remember it's pretty hit or miss. I stop in often to see what they have. There is a nice quilt shop in Crown Point too. I think they still have fat quarter Tuesday-40% off all fat quarters! The Doll classes with Gail Wilson are being held at Quilts Plus in Indianapolis, Indiana if you are interested.
So...a bag bulging with yarn. Are you a knitter too?
If you are inclined to have coffee and chat about doll making drop me a line via private message. Maybe we are neighbors!
Blessings,
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2006 :  3:58:27 PM  Show Profile
I hope you will be able to take the class.
You are right it is expensive.
You would probably enjoy the class. pinkroses
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Just Stuff Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page