True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2016 :  4:59:54 PM  Show Profile
Hay there,

I got a super sweet surprise today. I received several cuttings from a cacti!! Thank you sweet sister!! It is believed to be a hot, fuchsia pink but she isn't sure because her blooms are just beginning to set. This is such a neat surprise. I placed them in soil immediately and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Another friend has several rooting that are suppose to be a pale pink. I am so excited to get them and watch them grow. Thank you, my dear sweet friends. I shall name them Marian and Rita, lol !!

In my research of Christmas Cacti I found an article that told of a plant in a bank, of all places, that is known to be over 100 years old. I would love to see a photo of that one!

I am working towards an assortment/variations of all colors and species. They are just fascinating to me. My grandmothers both had plants and I remember them hanging so low and just breaking off when the broom would sweep beneath them.

My other passion is African Violets. I have a group of miniature violets that I hope will bless me with blooms this year. I have one that is a trailing variety with teeny tiny leaves.

My thumbs aren't completely green so this is a challenge for me.
Does anyone else raise violets?

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9384 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9384 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  06:51:49 AM  Show Profile
I do Daizy. It seems years ago all I could do was kill them but I found one and it did so nicely that it split into 2. I separated them and they are both doing well. They bloom often and then will be a bit dormant for awhile and bloom again. They have nice big blooms that last for quite sometime. I think I need to repot them son as they are getting bigger. I don't know what is going on with my cacti. It hasn't bloomed for a couple of years. It gets all shriveled and I am not sure why. I don't water it often because I heard that can be the cause.
So I will look up some things and see what I can find. It used to bloom on valentines day. Then one year it bloomed on st. Patrick's day. Hasn't bloomed since. I wonder if it might be too warm or cold or something. I have it on the window sill on the north side of the house. Maybe I should move it back to a south window?

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Cactus Cuttings Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page