Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  2:42:06 PM  Show Profile
And don't forget...Jerseys excel in cute too!!!
Nope..havn't tried aged cheeses yet..maybe some day. Right now since we are down to milking Mona every OTHER night (and getting about 3 gallons or so) I don't have much spare milk for cheesemaking. After she calves in May I will be drowning in milk again and will be trying new stuff. We are big cheese eaters here. I havn't figured out a great place to keep my cheeses to age them though..that is my main concern at this point about that.
I think Dolly is the sweetest name..I love that!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  11:44:52 AM  Show Profile
Dolly was the name of the Jersey cow on the Anne of Avonlea movie...I love that movie!

Dolly is a cute cow name....

Cyndi, I just googled 'family milk cow' and your farm's website was the 5th hit! I was so excited to see that!

K

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

farmer miller
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

dennis
ST.JOSEPH MO.
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  07:19:27 AM  Show Profile
JUST ABOUT ANY COW WILL MAKE A GOOD MILK COW.ON THE FARM,HAS A CHILD I MILK A strawberry roam,cow she was a little feisty and did'nt like standing to long in one place. Our best milk cow was old Bessie she was a black and white face angus. I like her the best, she had bigger and longer udders.
Go to Top of Page

farmer miller
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

dennis
ST.JOSEPH MO.
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  07:26:36 AM  Show Profile
Faithymom--YOU SHOULD LET THE CALVE SUCK, THE MOTHER. MILK FIRST JUST TAKING WHAT YOU NEED FOR YOUR FAMILY, THEN LET THE CALVE HAVE THE REST.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  05:16:14 AM  Show Profile
I see cow talk is still going, so have to put in my two cents worth! Ha
My Summer, a jersey, is doing fine. We got her for 525 last fall. She is only milking on 3 quarters, so she was going to go as a cull cow. She will calve the end of sept. She gives plenty of milk, and I make cheese, butter, almost everyday. I make colby pressed cheese, and curds, moz, ricotta, kefir, chevre,ice cream, cream cheese. My cottage cheese has not turned out the best. Either it is too squeaky, or a bit to sour for everyones taste. I have 2 different books that have helped me alot, Goats produce too, by Mary Jane Toth, and Home cheese making by Ricki Carroll. None of the products are hard to make, but they do take some time. I have not tried to age any cheese yet. Wanted to get the hang of making fresh first. Colby cheese that is squeaky is good!!
I am not sure about letting the calf suck, and still trying to milk the cow. My dad always said the cow will not let her milk down, if the calf is still sucking on her. I don't know. I plan to bottle feed the calf after it is born. Iwill let her suck right after she is born, but that will be all. That is what we used to do on my dad's farm. Worked there. I will freeze several bags of colostrum. It is good to have in the freezer incase you need it for another calf. I also have some beefers.
No mastitis, knock on wood. I wash summer with soapy water, strip, dip, dry, milk, dip, and in the cold weather I use bag balm, dip and dry. She is not in a "warm barn", so I try to keep her as dry as possible. She has a 12x12 pen, beded deeply, and it seems she can only lay and dump in one place, and they happen to be the same! :) She is outside all day, can go in when she wants, and in at night. So I clean her pen twice a day.
That kind of gives you an idea of my work for the day with Summer. She has been a very good girl for me. Michele
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  11:52:31 AM  Show Profile
I really appreciate the cow talk. We are considering a cow late summer/early fall. We live on only 1 acre, but will have 1/4 to 1/3 in pasture for her. We will build a small barn for hay storage & milking in the summer.
Any advice for a beginner with the cow or barn plans (on a budget) would be great.
Have a wonderful day!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  11:21:43 AM  Show Profile
Ricki Carrol has a great cheese book.

I have a web page with cheese making resources.

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com/cheese.html

We hit 5th for family milk cow!!! How did that happen!!

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2007 :  12:23:22 PM  Show Profile
hi ladies
I too had a jersey named Dolly. She was soooooooo very little and only grew to past my knee. We had her for 7 months, and still, she didn't grow much past my knee. My husband said that we should give her to our friend that has a petting zoo. I begged him to let me keep her as she was such a dear sweet pet. She would follow me down the lane to get the mail. My dog would sleep with her......oh she was so sweet. One day I came home and went to see my Dolly and she wasn't there. My husband had given her to the petting zoo. I was heart broken and also mad at him for giving away my Dolly. He said that he didn't think that I truly wanted to keep her. (my husband is very intelligent but sometimes a wee bit thick in the head)
Anyway.....the odd thing happened.....Dolly who was so small for so long, started to grow and now is a full grown cow and is still as sweet as ever (but still living with the petting zoo people.)

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic dairy cow Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page