Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 I wish someone around me did THIS....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic I wish someone around me did THIS.... Next Topic  

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  09:24:07 AM  Show Profile
I love to bake, but having too many baked goods is not in my best interest. But I'd love to have a plate of really TOP QUALITY cookies for guests. When I bake, I used all unsalted butter, the best chocolates, Madagascar vanilla, the freshest nuts, rice flour for the crunchiest crumb, etc. I wish so much there was someone in our area who had the same attention to detail and quality that I require! I'd pay a ton for the good stuff.

I would think this would be a great way for a Farmgirl to make some holiday dough. (Oooh, I made a funny!) You could put out ads, and say you'll take orders from November 1st through December 15th. And you could buy ingredients based on your orders. Put in individual cups in pretty foil boxes and wrapped with ribbon, they'd be a great gift too, and you could advertise for corporate giving.

I was at the grocery yesterday, and was saddened because I wanted some REAL pfefferneusse, or some almond crescents with more than a fraction of a sliver of an almond in it, that didn't taste like waxy Crisco and cheap chalky chocolate. I want the silky kind with flavor that pops and is head and shoulders above the rest, bite after bite.

Anyway, it's an idea for someone for next year....

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  10:25:05 AM  Show Profile
You've made my mouth water.

I drove 30 miles to the larger grocery last week. I needed a long list of ingredients for this week's baking spree. <sigh> They had white and wheat flours. That's it. No fresh nuts. For goodness sake, it's Christmas. What happened to having fresh nuts in the produce/fruit department? Hershey and Dove were the chocolates of choice. I left with nothing. On Saturday we drove 90 miles to the city to do some shopping and get groceries at the health food store. It was like being a child in the candy store. I have flours (including rice), organic chocolate, freshly roasted nuts, organic chocolate whole milk, organic soda (my weakness), lots of organic locally-made granolas........it's like Heaven. Baking has been fun this week.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  10:28:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
You're a farmgirl after my own heart, Mary Ann! I remember all those delicious cookies from my childhood(I had a German granny who could make pastries!) My city(Louisville, KY) was settled by Germans and Irish and we are lucky to still have many old, established bakeries here. I'm snacking on Springerle's right now. :)

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  5:33:09 PM  Show Profile
One of my friends' mother is in love with baking too. She sells silver platters of cookies for a $25.oo donation for two dozen cookies. All of the money she earns goes to NORD. She bakes alongside her daughter. They are agreat team and have such stories of fun. They have been doing it now for over 8 years, so she checks in with her longstanding repeaters in October and often when visiting them she gets extra business, from who ever is standing by me. She starts deliveries for those wanting for Thanksgiving and receives orders up to the 7th.She is done baking on the 10th. Then does a week shuffling trays for delivery.

My boys love her cookies and they are works of art.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  11:18:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you, Mary Ann.....love to bake things but do not need a mountain of temptation lying around here and there.....what a great idea to make some extra money, too. OR join in with some like minded friends and have a cookie exchange; then you would likely end up with a nice variety of yummy homemade goodies to offer your guests. There is nothing like homemade, which takes time, care and effort, and our society is sliding headlong into the 'buy it and (maybe) put it on your own platter' mentality! Tis a pity to be sure. Gonna whip up a cheesecake tomorrow! Nance
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic I wish someone around me did THIS.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page