Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  1:26:20 PM  Show Profile
After reading Bridget's post about dreaming to open a music school/observatory/library in her hometown, it made me think about my entrepreneurial dreams. It seems like I am forever thinking of ways to make money...

I think my first dream would be to be able to make a living by writing. I love to write; I know I can write... but I can't really push myself to write right now. And that is such a hard field to succeed in.

In a craft sense, I think I would like to make dolls for a living. I am working on learning to make Waldorf dolls right now. Those things sell for upwards of $75 each, but to a limited market of people interested in a doll made completely from all natural materials. I'm thinking of adapting the Waldorf style to non-natural materials (ie, some sort of poly fabric) and offering them for less money. I personally would by a $30 handmade doll for either of my girls before I'd buy a really expensive one because it was all-natural.

Of course, Frannie got me hooked on the prim dolls, and I constantly eyeball the patterns for those.

What's your entrepreneurial dream?

Kim in NC, who should be working on housecleaning or at least Christmas present-making

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  2:33:47 PM  Show Profile
There was a building in downtown Dallas that used to be a high school and it would make the perfect homeschoolers resource center, with a science lab and a music conservatory, a gym for sports, and a library for the parents as well as the kids - so that they could all have access to the same stuff that kids in regular schools have. The classrooms could be split into smaller rooms for renting out for those small specialized studies that require an expert teacher. There could be outdoor gardens and a greenhouse for studying farming and horticulture. Unfortunately, the building was sold to some big developer, who plans to knock it down, I think. But one day I'd like to build an educational resource center for everyone, not just the homeschoolers to enjoy.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  07:59:21 AM  Show Profile
I'd love to own and run a small school that taught classes in the rapidly-disappearing domestic arts - knitting, sewing, cooking, canning, etc. - basically a storefront Home Ec lab, with a few classrooms, lending library, and front parlor/common room area to drink really good coffee and socialize.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  4:55:34 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, Your dream is a much needed one! I have a knitting group that has been homeless since our yarm shop closed down. We have met at many places and are currently meeting weekly at a golfcourse (which we are THANKFUL to have found) at least we are out of the weather! But we would give anything to meet in your parlor and have a great cup of coffee.

A friend of mine who owns a quilt shop says people are always stopping in to ask about groups meeting there, she just doesn't have room.

At any rate, you should feel out your area for sure! I'll come socialize with y'all. I'm good at that!

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  11:08:39 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer .. sign me up! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  11:24:40 AM  Show Profile
Me, too, Jennifer! I'll even bring an apple for the teacher! Frannie and I can be desk mates, until we get separated for too much chatter. I did not get very interested in my teens, regarding the domestic arts of sewing and various needle arts and boy do I regret it. When I was a young newlywed thirty years ago, one of my sisters in law came from a farming community in Iowa, and she was a wealth of info....taught me to knit and crochet, quilt, but I lost interest in those crafts after making blankets for my babies.....took up knitting three years ago and am so happy I did and now that I have all my MJF gal pals for inspiration, am excited to jump in and try lots of other crafts. I also harbor a little dream of one day having a small school, in my own home, for instruction in the lost and dying domestic arts....GO FOR IT!!! I bet you'd be overwhelmed with the response. Nance
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  09:45:23 AM  Show Profile
My dream is to have a functioning "for profit" small farm - maybe the CSA model or perhaps different U-Picks? I haven't finalized the details of my "vision" yet, but the dream is to remain here on the farm, raising my two sons and making enough money to do that well, while continuing to work with you all on the "Farmgirl Connection" and with the "Farmgirl Chapters." It seems like such a tall order sometimes, but I have such faith in the farmgirl "can-do" spirit, that I'm willing to give it a go!

I just love reading about all of your dreams and aspirations - that's the first step toward making it real...(((HUGS!)))

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  09:57:00 AM  Show Profile
That really is such a worthy idea, especially if it emphasizes creativity. I'm pretty happy with my skillset now, but thirty years ago I really could have used it! I especially like the coffee idea; friendship and comraderie belongs there.
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  09:59:00 AM  Show Profile
Just reading what all of you wrote got me to thinking.(in a way that could be dangerous) I would like someday to be able to live off the income that I would make from my goats, I'm in the process of starting up my dairy goat herd. I want to go back to making my soaps and learn how to make cheese. Mainly, I would love to be able to teach horseman ship and riding to people. When I was married the first time, I was luck enough to stay at home, but then again we started out with a dairy business, then later on to beef cows and a hay operation. Just to be able to stay at home and make my living. Like the Bible says, man shall live by the sweat on his brow.( can't remember the chapter or verse) Believe me, we all have been living off the sweat on our brows. Ain't that right?
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  7:55:11 PM  Show Profile
I would like to generate all of my income from here on my farm, from my freelance writing, my little farm store (homemade goat milk soap, "farm fresh eggs from happy chickens," and more), and whatever else I could do to generate income here...

I have never been a "rat" in the rat race because even all the years I worked as a reporter and then a newspaper editor, I was always able to work from a home office, but I still came close to being a "rat," maybe a mouse???? anyway, I want to generate ALL my income right here...it's time....

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  06:34:56 AM  Show Profile
How did I miss this post? My friend and I are always trying to think of some way to generate income without having to go out to work at the WalMart! We have done a few things over the years, but nothing has really grabbed on. (Mostly because what we did was expensive!- painting murals, catering, decorating for Christmas, etc.) I need to go to our local college here and take a small business course. I would love to have a shop, selling yarn and offering classes. We don't have anything like that near us on the southern end of town. It would be perfect. It's just getting over any fear I still have about being in business for myself! My sister and her husband do it all the time! They just jump right in. Me- I am a big chicken! My goal this year is at least get a business plan written. I will fell llike I have accomplished a lot just doing that!
This is what I love about this site- we can learn and gain wisdom from each other, and give each other the boost that we need to follow our dreams!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2007 :  10:57:56 AM  Show Profile
Karin, Well, I don't think you're a CHICKEN, just being careful about what you are doing! First of all, do take those classes you were talking about. Even if you don't open your shop, a little extra education never hurt anybody. Not only that, you will be working toward your goal. You can do it....Walmart will just have to find someone else, not karin! Cindy

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  5:49:24 PM  Show Profile
This is a topic that is ALWAYS going around in my mind. I share the same dreams as many of you. I love the idea of having a group of people come over to learn a different "homesteading skill" every month or maybe having a little Victorian tea party with my daughter's 6th grade friends and somehow making a history lesson on Victorian era women fun for them! I used to work at the NH history museum as a tour guide for 4th grade classes, and they always seemed to get a kick out of the clothing that Victorian age girls and women had to wear with the corsets and fans to keep them from fainting!!

I've also thought about having a kids camp where we learn about planting vegetables and caring for chickens, and they learn the cycle of using their manure for fertilizer, and then making some snacks from the food they grow. Or maybe letting them sell their food at a roadside stand or something. You know, start that entrepreneurial spirit when they're young :)

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  9:07:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh, to be self sufficient! City Boy, of course, could work off the farm (because he says we haven't got one), but I would be self sufficient and make my own cheese (from my sheepie milk, of course!) and stock the freezer with lamb and chicken grown here on the place.

When I shipped the East Friesians over it was with the intent of getting a diary industry started here. This fall I had two different people who wanted to use my rams. I'd love if I could milk here, but alas, the creek runs through the property and we're in the watershed (boo hoo!) Well...it's still the dream, you never said it had to be do-able!

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  07:47:08 AM  Show Profile
Like Erin, I'd like to recycle a building. It's an old Jr. High in the town near where I grew up and I think it'd make a great community center/daycare center type place...that's my first dream.
My second is to have my own daycare center where any type of parent can bring their kids, those who can afford it and those who can't so that they don't have to worry about having subpar caregivers looking after their children because they can't afford better. I'd have garden plots for the kids to plant things in the summer and learn about gardening, a swimming pool to hire someone to teach swimming lessons and we'd serve healthy/organic food.
My third dream is to be more self sufficient as Tracey mentioned and in areas where I couldn't produce my own household goods or food I would buy or barter with people who could. I've really been longing to rely less on stores and more on myself and others who produce goods in their own homes.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  08:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Well mine is the main purpose of these boards- to get back to the farmgirl in me. I want open space, some gardens, lots of critters running around (I miss having my rabbits) and letting the fresh air, sun and earth be my beauty regimen. : )

I want to learn about organic gardening and build my own things. I know I can do, just have to learn along the way.

My dream job to pay for all of this is working as a medical administrator ( I am almost complete with my Associates) I want a regular 9-5 job so I can have somewhat of a normal life again (After 8 years in the military, I can't wait to have weekends back!!!)

I want to do all this for my little family. I want my son to grow up loving nature and animals. I miss county fairs and a slower pace life. And DH can't stand the city. He is a true Texas boy through and through. I want him to finally relax again.
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  11:25:41 AM  Show Profile
My dream is to have a little workshop attached to my house, so I can earn a bit of money without leaving my children- and have a big garden out back, with chickens, a dairy animal, and maybe a few sheep? I want to sell my herbal products- medicinal, culinary, crafty, fresh cut herbs from my garden, bumper crops of garden produce, maybe extra eggs, potted divided herbs, home baked goodies, knitted and crocheted/sewn goodies, and recycled antiques. It doesn't matter if I'm in the city or country, as long as I have enough land for the garden and animals, and as long as people are willing to come to my place to buy my goodies.

And I'm looking forward to getting started on my dream soon! I'm creating an herbal product line right now for pregnant/breastfeeding women, which will be sold through my friend's midwifery practice. If my products are good enough to generate a bit of profit there, I'll open an Etsy shop, and hopefully my own website/url eventually. And one day, when I'm not in an apt anymore, I'll be able to have my own workshop attached to the house.

Edited by - Persephone on Jan 27 2007 11:27:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  3:45:56 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to have my own small truck/market farm for organic vegetables and flowers within city limits of either Chicago or Portland, Oregon in the next three years. I'd like it to be CSA oriented, but also do summer markets. I'd like it, and us, to be as completely self-sufficient and debt-free as possible. I would also like to start selling my crafting more on Etsy and also at some of the alternative craft fairs that are happening now. In the next ten years maybe a few kids, which would be home schooled in either the Waldorf or Montessori methods. And I would love to have a winter cabin for vacationing out of the middle of the prairie under Big Sky!

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

kjweldon
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Kathleen
Cambridge MA
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  11:46:38 AM  Show Profile
Mr dream would be to have a small store that offered all New England products - produce, frozen meat, honey, maple syrup, cheese, dried beans, grains, and all that, but also beeswax candles, goat's milk soaps, herbal medicine, bowls from local wood, yarn from local sheep, wreathes from local dried flowers, local seeds, and so on. It would also have books for sale, and would have a meeting space for groups devoted to promoting local food and farms, and I would hold all sorts of events. I would expand my online magazine to cover the topics I really want to (but don't have the resources to cover now, with only three people and all of use volunteers), and the webzine would be connected to the sotre, which of course would sell products online. Each item would include information about the farm and the people who made it.

Oh, and this would be in Bar Harbor, so the store itself might close a few months in winter, during which I could do some painting. Because we are dreaming, right?
Go to Top of Page

momtoeight
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Laura
Medicine Bow WY
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  1:25:36 PM  Show Profile
I love this thread. I do a lot of work with people who are starting up businesses, and when they ask me "what can I do", I always ask them, "What do you WANT to do?" Because when you love what you do, you are more motivated to keep at it through the hard times.

Our dream for the last few years has been for my husband to be able to work from the same town we live in. I've been trying to build my own business here (web design), while homeschooling and still trying to hold the house together. Well, we finally started to see growth in my business, enough to talk about incorporating and bringing Kevin home, when his boss laid him off. So we decided to take the lemons and make lemonade. So far it is sometimes a little sour, but much better than having him commute 60 miles one way. AT the end of the second week, we will have enough to pay the bills if we can finish one job this afternoon (looks like we will). And if there is enough to pay the bills, I can live with it and make it grow!

I love working with startups, I love working with rural businesses and towns, and I'd like to make enough to build a greenhouse. Ideally, I'd love to have a house out of town, but I just don't see that happening if I want my business to grow, because I do NOT want to have to work outside the home. So I have a direction that I want to take my business, and I know what I want to do when it gets there.

You know, in all your dreams, I see big end things. But I know from experience, that most of those big dreams can be scaled down so you can get your foot in the door, and build something that can grow into your dream (like the goats - one kid at a time!). :) Maybe you start with a website dedicated to providing resources, then start producing materials to support the business, then move it out into it's own space, then into a large enough building to support your full dream. Maybe you start with just a tiny piece of the dream, and work out the bugs so it grows.

Because I also know that the businesses that succeed the best are the original ones that someone crafts for themselves. They ALWAYS have bumps, but when a determined smart woman gets behind an idea, the world had better keep their eye on her!

Owner and designer, Firelight Web Studio - http://www.firelightwebstudio.com - Small Business Website Services with a Difference - Personal, Flexible, and Friendly
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic What's your dream? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page