Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Words to live by.... Next Topic  

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  10:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
As life's journey goes along what words or phrases have you learned to live by?

My 2 new favorites are:

I don't do anything for anyone who asks me like that.
(Used this on my 4 year old and it worked)

If he knew better, he'd do better.
Doesn't excuse behavior but explains it when dealing with mental illness in the family.

My son's football coach always says " Keep a smile on your face, a chip on your shoulder and a skip in your step.

But the one thing I guess I have always believed-

Show kindness, even to your enemies.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  10:57:26 AM  Show Profile
To paraphrase Mother Theresa: we can do no great things, only small things with great love.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  11:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
The phrases I remember most growing up are: Be tough, Babygirl and
Do what your told, when your told, with a happy on your face.

I find myself using the "be tough" with my own children, but my work words are a bit diffent. At my house little workers are reminded to Do everthing quickly, cheerfuly, and properly.Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23

Edited by - BarefootGoatGirl on Dec 19 2006 11:39:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  11:57:55 AM  Show Profile
I always remember my dad saying to me, "Jon-Carol, use your head for more than something to put your hat on!",

Great grandmother Dodie always said to me, "Anything those boys can do, you can do better, anyhow.",(about my mean boy cousins who wouldn't let me play). After I stopped dancing as a ballerina, I took a job in the very BOYS CLUB oriented financial world. That always stuck with me!

Three generations of women (mom, grandma and ggrandma) used "get outside and get the stink blown off ya!" when they couldn't understand why a kid would be inside on such a gorgeous day. No video games or sitting around watching tv for me! I use it on my husband, my clan and my niece and nephew, too.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  12:05:15 PM  Show Profile
I remember "Chase your dreams" and have tried to instill that in my daughters by raising them to believe they can have anything they want in life IF they are willing to work for it.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  12:35:17 PM  Show Profile
These are all great-this one comes to mind for me:
Dream and then, make it happen!

Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  1:03:03 PM  Show Profile
My 15 year old daughter has a favorite right now, and we all say it to her all the time: "Quitters quit"!!!

Val
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  5:16:31 PM  Show Profile
I like this. He who angers you controls you.
My deceased Dad use to say. Keep on the snny side.
My parents were from the farm country. Wytheville Va.
They really had some funny sayings . I can't seem to rememeber them all now. pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  10:49:09 PM  Show Profile
My great-grandfather handed this one down to my grandmother, who passed it on to my mom, who still uses it on me when I get down in the mouth about something, or am just stewing around...

"Out of emotion and into motion."

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  05:56:52 AM  Show Profile
My mother reminded me that Grandma Dodie said to her, "it's too far from your heart to hurt you." when she skinned a knee, or had the blues.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  06:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
OOOO I think I'll have to add these in my lil quotes/inspiration journal:) I thrive on inspiration;) I like this one (it was on a lil rip off calendar) mum and I always use it when we have a rough day or someone is giving us trouble (when you are a good person people tend to want to sabotage you, you all know;) "Damn everything, but the circus" I think that says it all:) I always use "Don't compromise yourself you're all that you've got" and "...to thine ownself be true" I found a bracelet with that on it and I want it so bad but way too expensive! HUGS

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  06:26:30 AM  Show Profile
CARRY HAPPINESS WITH YOU EVERYWHERE, ITS NOT THAT HEAVY.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  4:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
nice one nancy jo!:)

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  8:01:14 PM  Show Profile
I'm guilty of using this one as the kids got into the older, more challenging years:

Act your age, not your shoe size!

Sandy in Missouri
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  8:32:24 PM  Show Profile
It's much easier to be happy than sad; choose happiness.

The sky's the limit!

Dream big dreams and make them happen.

"Well that's a fine how do you do!" (Gran)

If you plant trees, you are entitled to believe you will live forever". (from James Michener's Chesapeake)

You can be whatever you want to be and don't ever let anyone tell you you can't. (My Mom)

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  10:12:30 PM  Show Profile
I just read Max Lucado's "Cure for the Common Life". One quote that had impact on me was, " Don't be so big you can do something small". I work with so many people who have the attitude that they are too important to do little things to help others. They love to give the orders but won't take the time or effort to help. Sorry for the sermon.
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  2:38:11 PM  Show Profile
I like, "We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

And of course, my sister's words of advice, "You get more flies with honey, than you do with vinegar."

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  2:48:38 PM  Show Profile
Going to goat shows and barrel races I have often felt like the stock I brought wasn't the best. My husband, bless his heart, has always told me "wrung what you brung". A Mississippi saying that means to put your stock up against the other .
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  3:42:50 PM  Show Profile
I remembered another one while my son was home for the holidays:

A mother's love goes with you, son, everywhere you know
Just be sure that you don't take it where it should not go!

Sandy in Missouri

I don't iron anymore. If I'm not wrinkle-free, why should my clothes be?
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2006 :  08:59:00 AM  Show Profile
My favorite is: When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice!!!!!Susan
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2006 :  09:36:18 AM  Show Profile
Here area a few of my favorite:
1. The one who brags will be the one who loses
2. People who do not knowlove do not know happiness.
3.A blind man in some ways is lucky, for he sees not the hate of the world he lives in.
4. Love is not of this earth because it knows no boundaries.
5. A rich man is never satisfied, while a poor man is happy for what he has.
6. An idle man is the devil's workshop.
7. Wrung what you brung.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2006 :  12:37:32 PM  Show Profile
These are great, you guys! I also love 'never postpone joy'. I try not to think/rationalize 'yeah, I've got to give so and so a call', or some such excuse. We need to stop saying we'll try and just do it (apologies to Nike). CALL your mom, WRITE that note, SMELL those flowers, MAKE that new dish, VISIT your new neighbor, HUG your loved ones. That way we won't have to be sorry because the chance is gone one day. This is a great time for this thread. Gives me loads of inspiration to start my new year right! Love, Nance
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2006 :  04:41:12 AM  Show Profile
These are great, ladies!

My dad always used to quote the philosopher James Allen: "As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he." Meaning, we become what we think about. If we think thoughts of success and achievement, of helpfulness and love, we become that. If we think negative whiney thoughts of self pity, we become that. It sums up a lot.

Laura, when you said "Wrung what you brung" it made me think of one we use when we show. We say "Ride your ride." Meaning, you can't ride the horse someone else brought, and you can't ride what you wish your horse would be; but you can ride what he is that day. So you work toward your own personal best, and have that be enough.

My dad also used to say "Did you plan to fail, or did you fail to plan?" Taught me to think ahead and anticipate how to head off problems.

I also love "Never postpone joy." That's a wonderful way to look at things.

I also like the speech the father Polonius gave to his son Laertes in Hamlet, where he told him "to thine self be true, for if thou wilst, thou cannot be false to any man." He also said "Neither a borrower or a lender be, for loan oft loses both itself and friend." (I hope I did those right; it's from years old memory!) That whole advice speech just rocks!

There are so many just on the tip of my tongue that I can't remember the whole thing: like when W. Clement Moore said something about how when you think positively and with gratitude, the Universe will open doors where there once were walls. I like to live with gratitude; it makes for a happy heart and eyes open to possibilities.

Fun thread!

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Words to live by.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page