Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic my dream Next Topic  

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  09:30:55 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
So i keep coming especially to this section all the time and daydreaming. I have many many things I'd love to bring to my lil town. It is not a commercial town. Think of family oriented (though we have enough bars, churches, and antiques stores for you to get drunk, confess your sins, and spend loads of money) it is still pretty simple and super safe!

I would LOVE to start a music school in an old historic house (we have many)I actually found the one for me that was perfect except I have no money! I have some in a savings but I'm going for a masters degree in jan. So no can do. It was decorated colonial style and came with a baby grand piano! I about died! Needless to say I don't have the house. I drive by it everyday and dream. It had a decent lawn for concerts, porch area, etc.

Anyway I want it to be a place people can come regardless of paying for a lesson. I want it to educate people on music. For example music lessons and pay me (I have a degree in music) so I can teach any instrument.

A music library for people to take out music. Music is fairly expensive so why not have it be free or maybe a tiny "care" fee.

I want instruments in the house for people to come in and play and practice on. Many times children/adults can't afford an instrument or the renting of one. It is sad. So if I had them either to only use in the house or to take out for a few days.

I want a vast variety of music to be taught. I cherish the classical works BUT there are tons more for everyone's taste. I have education in Irish, Scottish, Classical, Folk. And I'd love other stuff as well ooo I forgot sacred too. Hymns are slowly becoming a dying art. I want people to enjoy music and learn!

I'd also love to have a recording studio for people to take advantage of.

So I know what services I would have, I have NO CLUE about financing ZIP NADA! I have researched local organizations that help non profit orgs and I need to figure a way to make me a lil living. I'm not asking to get rich because I'd do what I love but I need to take care of my financial obligations. I know what instruments, equipment, music (lots of locals and stores with music for cheap), advertising I am new to but have some knowledge and lots of ideas. As you can see I do NOT have a degree in business but I know what is needed and wanted, i've always been a super seller in retail because I love to shop. I love getting bargains, I'm a people person, and am willin to work my lil butt off (maybe it will shrink;)

ANY advice, info, comments (be kind as you are all always) THANKS!

"... to thine ownself be true."

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  09:57:31 AM  Show Profile
I'd suggest looking for grants for arts programs. you can actually type in the words "grants for arts programs" on google and pull up quite a bit, but it's a start and maybe you can find out quite a bit of information on getting this dream to soar.
Best of wishes to you.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  3:39:08 PM  Show Profile
Bridget, you have ao much musical talent and it sounds like you were born to use it one way or another. Take the advice of Tina Michelle, it sounds like great advice. You have to use your talent. I would love just a peice of it. Go for it.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  10:20:19 PM  Show Profile
This sounds like a wonderful dream that I know one day will come true for you because you have the heart to do it. When I was reading your post I thought of the movie Sister Act with Whoopi Goldberg in it. Dream Big, and don't let anyone tell you that it can't be done. All things are possible!
Look into grants like tina said, there are so many out there. Alot of them have certain guidelines to follow, most grants are given towards education, which is right up your alley.
Have fun and follow your heart!

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  08:18:23 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful dream. I would love to start a small school that focuses on the arts and sciences. It would be small - no more than 10 kids and we would spen our days learnig and creating. We would do farming, and painting and raise animals and sew etc. I guess it woulod be kindof like 4-H only all day for the whole school year. We would of course do math and reading and writing and all the other subjects too. I think this would be fun!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  4:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
AWww you all are so sweet! That's what I love about here! Such encouraging words and so very kind as well (blush) I have researched half heartedly grants. I got NO WHERE! I think I need grants 101;) Everything I came across I didn't qualify or wouldn't work. SIGH I'll keep plugging. Julie I love that idea:) That would be wonderful. I feel as though the education system because of the state govt etc is messing up education period. I think having a school such as yours would be sooo beneficial to our world! :) Thank you ALL! :) Many hugs and blessings:):)

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  9:20:28 PM  Show Profile
Bridget,
I think what you want to do sound sdo divine. Especially the hymns...you are right they are a dying art. I love singing them, as I was a preacher's daughter and that is what we sang in the 1950's through the 1970's.
I was wondering if you should go to some schools and find out from some of the teachers how to write grants or how to get your foot in the door. Maybe they could give some sound advice. Or write to Oprah :)
I am 52 and now I want to play the violin...but don't know where to start. I am not sure how hard it is to play. But someplace like you describe would give someone a chance to give it a try without rushing out to purcahse a violin and then deciding it is not for you.

Keep up the dream!

Pamela

http://homesteadmercantile.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  08:29:29 AM  Show Profile
I agree bridget! I teach art in a public school and I see so many problems daily but many are problems I don't see solutions too. I live in a very rural/poor area. Many kids have parents who HATED school so a lot of parents just treat it as a place they send their kids to be babysat during the day. Homework doesn't get done, there is no parental involvement, and when kids fail the parents blame the teacher or act like it is no big deal. It is frustrating. I love teaching and I think education is HUGELY important but something needs to be done differently.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  10:11:55 AM  Show Profile
You also need to research what is involved in preparing for a grant proposal - business plan, goals, etc...so there's quite a bit of work involved before you even go to a bank or to a (grant) foundation. Perhaps there is someone who might be able to trade their assistance on this sort of proposal in return for being able to use it as their business project for class. I know many of the graduate business schools make their students prepare this sort of thing. Try asking about it in the business department at your school. You'll still have to do a lot of the project yourself, but they can help you put it into some kind of order.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic my dream Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page