Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Two of my favorite past times
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Two of my favorite past times Next Topic  

Cowgurl
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Robin
middle Tennessee
34 Posts

Posted - May 16 2004 :  1:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Cowgurl a Yahoo! Message
are shopping at thrift stores and sewing. I recently bought a shopping cart full of old clothes at the thrift store. These included men's wool sports coats, old chenille robes, interesting shower cutains, vintage linen napkins and tableclothes. For the wool coats, I washed them in hot water and then dried them in the dryer, thus "felting" the wool. Everything else I just washed normally, cut them into patches/designs and made really funky throw pillows. They've made very appreciated gifts for holiday time. What's also nice is that I get to recycle something that might otherwise end up in a land fill. Plus, some of those funky fabrics you just can't find anymore!

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 16 2004 :  3:04:42 PM  Show Profile
I too enjoy shopping at thrift stores for creative fabric ideas! I'm teaching myself to do braided rugs with old fabric. I prefer the light weight smaller rugs, so I'm using old sheets, flannel is especially cozy. I guess they don't need to be old, but I enjoy the idea of "reclaiming" things and giving them new life and new uses.

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural

Edited by - Clare on May 16 2004 5:43:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 16 2004 :  10:22:17 PM  Show Profile
I have for years haunted thrift stores to buy old wool skirts (the most fabric with out alot of seams like pants) for hooking rugs. I cut the seams apart so that I have peices of fabric and then wash and felt them. Then I draw designs on burlap (scotch burlap sold for hooking is best) and then hook the strips of wool into the designs. Some colors are hard to find, but that makes it more fun. I have even hooked our family each a Christmas stocking (havn't got to my own yet)husband, all 6 kids, daugher in law, and grandbaby. I love to recycle and LOVE thrift stores too!
I love the idea of the funky pillows!!! and flannel braided rug next to the bed sounds heavenly. My quilt is all in plaid flannels..hmm.....maybe I could make one...hmmmmm

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Cowgurl
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Robin
middle Tennessee
34 Posts

Posted - May 17 2004 :  10:09:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Cowgurl a Yahoo! Message
Ooooh, more ideas! Now I'll have to try hooked and braided rugs. When will I find the time to plant my garden???
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 18 2004 :  3:27:19 PM  Show Profile
I always thought I should put up big "yard lights" (solar powered maybe) so that I could have more daylight hours!! I am at my best at night for some reason. Oh well...I always seem to find time for a garden, but my housework does suffer during the summer!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - May 18 2004 :  3:49:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, I'm back in town (and a little sad). I have another fun thrift store idea, buy old wool sweaters and felt them in the washer then you can cut them out and sew all kinds of fun things, like oven mits, purses, gee anything, it's good for holiday gifts. I am planning to do a bunch of felting soon, but this week I must warp the loom for a weaving round robin.
Elizabeth

joyously dancing through life
Go to Top of Page

patzee
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Patricia
Halifax N.S.
Canada
6 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  1:27:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi to Jenny in Utah and other spinners!
Couple of points to pass along: Firstly, have you ever tried carding a bit of woolen along with your cotton? Worth a try. I've found you get that nice cottony feeling with a much more secure twist resulting in less breakage and frustration. Also, I'd be very wary of using cotton at all unless I was sure of the source. Apparantly cotton growers use a tremendous amount of pesticides. (Something I'm sure you wouldn't want to wear much less have pass through your hands while spinning.) Then there's the dust. You don't want to be breathing that kind of dust. Try spinning on the back porch watching the sun set and let the breeze take care of the dust. I learned to spin from a wonderful artist named Dawn Mcnutt in Nova Scotia, and my fondest memory was when Dawn walked into the classroom full of beginner spinners and found us all chatting away while attending to our wheels. "They've got it!" Dawn laughed. Up until then, the concentration required disabled our tongues.

Farmgirl-at-heart,joyful, artistic, retired pre-school teacher seeks live-in job assisting family with kids, seniors and/or chores. Experienced with goats, horses and gardening. Air quality of utmost importance. Good driver, excellent references.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  9:16:18 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, I hadn't even thought about the pesticides used in cotton!!! Yikes! THe only cotton I have on hand right now is some roving that has denim and white cotton "stipes". Carding it with some wool is a great idea. I will have to try that! I love to spin outside!! I take my wheel out and sit near the sheep and goats sometimes and watch them and talk to them when I spin. I am sure the neighbors would think I was nuts. But then..they should KNOW that already!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - May 21 2004 :  3:48:28 PM  Show Profile
Patzee, it's a good point you make to be careful of the pesticides in cotton. I have grown my own cotton before and lots of people try to get rid of home grown cotton at the guild all the time. It grows pretty well here. There are also the naturally colored Sally Fox cottons that are organic. I guess if you dye the cotton first you could easily wash it before spinning it. It's a great time of year to spin outside, I do it out on my deck in back.
Elizabeth

joyously dancing through life
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Two of my favorite past times Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page