Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Starting to focus on next year's goals....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Starting to focus on next year's goals.... Next Topic  

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  04:38:30 AM  Show Profile
I've been thinking about this one a lot lately. With Christmas just days away, and then the New Year coming, I'm beginning to get my goals for 2007 in mind. I'm considering my goals for the horses, goals for me, goals for my garden, etc. Are you making any goals yet? If you are, what might they be?

I like the term 'goals' better than 'resolutions.' We can fall short of goals and still have a lot of progress.

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  05:01:56 AM  Show Profile
I agree with your last statement entirely! Takes the pressure off, and when the pressure is off, I tend to get more accomplished.
Hmm. goals.
Well, since finding MaryJane's book and all you farmgirls, I have been inspired to eat healthier/organically, live less wastefully and be more creative.
I am a leader of a budding 4H club and have a vision for the children and adults involved there.
I have a Bible designed to read in a year, that I got last year, but reverted back to my old reading habits; so maybe I'll try that again.
My daughter and I picked out fabric for her quilt. She's a busy kid, but I'd like to work on at least some of it together.
Nothing earth shattering I guess, but great to think about!
Thanks!

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  07:19:57 AM  Show Profile
Beemoosie--your goals don't have to be earthshattering--that's usually when I let myself down!
The last two years of my time have been consumed by animal sheltering and rescue (lack of sleep, lots of worry and no time for myself, hubby or my dog family). That's over for the time being, so I have a "clean slate" so to speak....

1. We've been working on our cottage for a few years now--I'd really like to "live" in our house. I feel like a squatter at times.
2. I'd like to see my ideas happen outside of my head! Simple stuff, like organizing my pantry and cleaning closets--being more organized with bills and weekly cleaning.
3. Personal goals--I'm learning to be happy with "me". I used to be a ballerina, and we're trained never to be satisfied with our bodies. I don't dance anymore--so I'd like to stop picking on myself,and admit that there are good qualities both inside and out.

Other goals--seeking out friends...I tend to be such a loner, and a bit of a "lazy" friend, but I love my friends...
Gardening goals, too....last year I fulfilled my goal of an English rose garden, this year it's raised beds for a more sustainable table. I want to stop reading about it, and just "do it".

I'm sure I could come up with more--but these are tangible!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  11:27:04 AM  Show Profile
I've been trying to change some negatives in my life & have been reading MUCH about "positive thinking". I always thought I was a positive person but when the chips are down is when you really need it& I stink then! I am trying very hard to change that and have given myself some goals to move toward my "green B&B" in the next few months. Along w/ not living just paycheck to paycheck while saving & working towards this goal. It's quite a hurdle but I intend to get over it. with positive thinking!!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  11:48:04 AM  Show Profile
oh I so need to do this too! I have not done it yet, but I would like to set some goals on getting rid of our debt, for the year with 4H, to get my crafts out selling, see what the girls want to do, fencing the rest of the property for the bottom part of the acres for the animals. Thanks for getting us started, that is about it.

Angi~wife, momma, 4H leader & Txfarmgal -Be Joyful Always 1 Thes. 5:18
http://www.etsy.com/your_shop.php MommaNMe Country store
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  2:26:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh this is a good one!!!! I was just thinking about goals for this next year while driving home. I'd love to train my minis to pull a cart. I'm clueless though - and can admit it. I'd like to have my whole garden filled with flowers this year - not just part of it. (Means more to take to the farmer's market). I'd like to have a website for Forrester Farm, and I have new ideas for products....just need to make them. I'd like my Taste of Home Entertaining business to continue to grow at a steady pace. More than anything though, I want to be sure that my priorities are straight, and that I cherish the moments with my children and husband. Every day is such a gift from God. I was also just thinking about our responsibility to be faithful with what He has entrusted us with....with a thankful heart.

Ann Forrester
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

Niamh
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Idaho
140 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  4:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Niamh a Yahoo! Message
Oh, there is so much I want to do!

My friend and I are trying to start a Farmer's Market here. My DH and I are starting the adoption process. I'm planning a huge garden. I'm fixing our bunkhouse. I'm training my border collie. I'm going to be milking goats and maybe getting a cow. And my 2 daughters are along for the ride!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  5:53:09 PM  Show Profile
Well, here's what I'm thinking so far.

My hunter prospect goes on January 5th to a winter barn to begin work. I hope to have him ready to show once the spring shows start. So that means daily riding and training starting in just a few weeks!

I'll cut my young Friesian stallion in probably April, and start him under saddle soon after. I'd like to get him to a few little shows before the year is out, but I won't count on it.

I hope to keep schooling my older hunter, who doesn't show anymore but could; I use him for trail.

Maybe get a new cart for my pony, if he stays sound.

Pamper my old mare.

I want to fit in LOTS more walks in the beautiful woodlands around my house, as well as the state parks nearby. My dog is a wonderful walking partner, who heels beautifully and is a delightful companion.

I expanded and tilled up a lot more sod in the garden this fall, so hopefully I can plant a lot more. I didn't have near enough room this year, and I know that contributed to some of the problems I had with the vine crops. I want more lettuces this year; I'm already hungry for spring greens!

I want to put in some beds close to the trees between the house and the barn. I'd like to put in some nice hostas, and lots of cosmos and echinacea on the other side,and I'm considering putting in an herb garden again. I have some painting to do on the deck and front porch, as well as in my bedroom.

Now that my grandsons are older, I'd love to have them spend the night more often. They're sweet little boys, and thrive on the outdoor play.

I hope to retire more debt this coming year. Our mortgage only has a couple more years on it, and a big loan is done this month. That'll free up a lot of cash flow.

Oh, I sure plan to lose a few extra pounds! I have to, or I'm going to have to buy a new hunt coat!
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  7:49:44 PM  Show Profile
When I go to my gentle yoga class (perfect yoga for imperfect bodies), she asks that we set an "intention" for our practice...something to keep in mind as we progress through the movements and meditations. So rather than goals or resolutions, I will state some intentions:

I would like to live more mindfully in the present, rather than always focusing on what is needed for the next day, the next week, the next year. Time is passing by much too quickly not to appreciate every moment, good and bad.

I want to be able to appreciate my skills and accomplishments without the tendency to compare myself to others, or to undervalue my efforts because I believe they don't "measure up."

This will be the year of making-do. I can get very excited about collecting items for future projects. But space is limited, so this year I will focus on creating with the materials on hand - short of basic supplies like needles and thread, I will (heaven help me) refrain from buying more books, more fabric, more stuff!

And to my fellow horse-loving farmgirls, I lost my horse back in May and still miss him dearly. But before every ride, I would take a quiet moment to set a mental intention and visual image of having a successful ride. Sometimes that meant only keeping the horse between me and the ground! ;-) But that might also be a good habit to develop on a daily basis - and just for general purposes! Take a moment in the morning for quiet reflection, and set your intention for the day.

Jane Savoie wrote a book called, "That Winning Feeling." It is written with the equestrian show person in mind, but the principles could very easily apply to life in general. One section talks about the "as if" principle. Set a goal, visualize the objective AS IF it were already in existence and then act AS IF it were impossible to fail. With that in mind, begin the actions needed to make that goal a reality. Sounds simplistic, but I believe it does work!

Sandy in Missouri
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  06:14:58 AM  Show Profile
I like what Jonni said about seeing my ideas happen outside of my head! I have so many ideas, intentions, goals, resolutions, whatever you want to call them, rolling around inside of my head that never get out!

This is interesting--will need to give it a little thought.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  06:41:21 AM  Show Profile
Sandy, I would love to find a gentle yoga class, I tried it a long tome ago when I was more "flexible" but now...... Gentle sounds good & I will see if they have one around here. Is it much different??

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  07:19:50 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful topic. I too live, work, create and worry too much in my head. I have been working this year of clearing out those things that no longer serve the purpose I have for my life NOW. I have been so driven for so long that I have needed to step back, breath and consider what now. I must say the only thing I have done is go back and forth and still have not settled on where I wish to go for 2007. I have and will still be working on getting my inner voice to be still and listen to the source to give me councel.

I am also trying to learn the act of placing me first or even on the list. Since my husband passed 10 years ago I have been everthing to everyone except myself. Now that my youngest (19 year old) son is on his own and my oldest is considering moving off the farm, I will now start to plan a life that places me first. I had a list of all those things I wanted to do and guess what I have done it ALL! I have traveled to many countries, started and ran a sucessfull farm, trained and rehab alpacas, llamas, goats, sheep and dogs. I have taught myself the fiber business and made a name for myself and farm. Raised two wonderful young men and take care of my mother. Now it is up to me to come up with a new list and I am not sure what to put on it but that is a goal.

I too am a bit of a hermit. I do that because when I leave the farm for teaching, shows, or sales I deal with huge crowds that I need to come home and recharge. I understand that in living this way I have not made room for new friends and that I will be working on in 2007.

I am also going to be extending my herbal knowledge out to others in 2007. I wish to send a message that you can manage a farm without all the chemicals and you and your animals will thrive in the world of nature. I will find new paths to keep my passion for saving our planet growning and finding like minds.

I hope to have two books published in 2007 that have been in the works. One is the story of our "Funny Farm" and the other is my love of fiber book. It has been a silent dream but I think now it is time to let it shine.

My hope for 2007 is to be kinder, softer, bolder and wiser but I still live by one message "Live today as if it was your last, because none of know when it might be" This is how I have tried to live my life since I met my husband back in 1977 - he had chronic life threatening illness and each day when I would wake up next to him I knew at least we had one more day. I have to remind myself none of us live forever, so what are we waiting for? Love, Hugs and Enjoy!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
htpp://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
htpp://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  07:48:13 AM  Show Profile
Grace--
I have to tell you, I've truly enjoyed reading your posts--the first, I think, in Farmgirl Values made me want to run out and meet you, to be a better person. You're far from Kentucky, though, so I guess I'll have to just sit back and wait for your next missive! Such eloquence and humble grace. Oh. That's your name, isn't it? :)

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  07:58:05 AM  Show Profile
Michelle - gentle yoga is perfect for increasing your flexibility -- one of my weaknesses. The other is a tempermental lower back! My gentle yoga class is about modification of poses to meet the student's needs, but still give the desired results. My instructor also has a nursing background, so she is very good at pointing out potential problems with certain poses, such as someone with osteoporosis should use a flat back rather than a rounded back or someone with high/low blood pressure may experience dizziness, etc. We have people from all levels of fitness, including some recovering from cancer treatments, and chronic illness, and injuries.

If you can't find a class in your area, I just found a book yesterday called MINDFULNESS YOGA that provides a description of poses with pictures and also offers some variations for those with limited flexibility, etc. I always do and feel better when taking a class, but if I can't get there, working at home is better than doing nothing at all.

Sandy in Missouri

Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  08:23:05 AM  Show Profile
Grace - I wish you well on your new path. I suspect it will not be easy to let go of old habits and focus that nurturing spirit inward. It is often difficult to be quiet long enough to hear what our spirit is trying to say. Blessings!

Sandy in Missouri
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  4:55:03 PM  Show Profile
Sandy, I've read "That Winning Feeling," too! In the book, the author applies the principles of psychocybernetics to riding. I've found her principles to be spot-on, and I use them in teaching my students, too. It makes me think of that saying by the 19th century philosopher James Allen, who said "As a man thinketh, so is he." Whatever is going on in our thoughts becomes manifest in our lives.

Grace, it seems like you've had some very difficult times, but it sounds like you've learned a great deal from them. It says a lot about your character that you have used the hard times as an opportunity for personal growth instead of an excuse to quit and be bitter.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  7:25:14 PM  Show Profile
thanks sandy, I'll get the book. I have tapes for Classical Stretch & I love that, its a bit of everything w/ an emphasis on stretching.

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Starting to focus on next year's goals.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page