Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Pet sitting and other business venture ramblings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Pet sitting and other business venture ramblings Next Topic  

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  8:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
My recent loss of employment is making me take a long hard look at myself and what I want to do with my life. My dream job is homemaker/wife/mother. Well, homemaker now, wife soon, and mother in a few more years. Unfortunately, that's just not possible at this time. So, I want a job that I'll love, a job that I'll look forward to when I wake up in the morning, a job that won't enter me into the rat race. One option I've thought about is pet sitting. I was wondering if anyone here has or has thought of a pet sitting business. Another option would be craft making. In the future, I'd really like to have a small farm to do some market gardening, sell eggs, milk, handmade products. I'm just so confused! Working for myself would be wonderful, but then I think of the record keeping, accounting, and *cringe* taxes, and get very discouraged. I can't even begin to understand half of the tax information for small businesses on the IRS website. Ahhh! Is it even possible for a plain Jane with little college education and limited funds to do this?! *deep breath* Does anyone have any suggestions for books, websites, etc. with good information on starting a small business? And please share your experiences, as well. For the time being, I will do my best to find a job outside the home that will keep me content and at least help me scrape by financially. Ok, time for smiles now! Thanks for letting me ramble!

Love and hugs,
Laura

http://thecraftycatgirl.blogspot.com
"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  9:55:00 PM  Show Profile
Check your email! :)
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  04:20:35 AM  Show Profile
Gosh Laura, I wish you were just a little closer to me! I see you're in Kankakee; I'm about an hour south of DeKalb. Around here, there are no pet sitters anymore. We used to have one in our area that was outstanding. She would come onto our farm and take care of the horses, dogs, and cats, and feed, clean stalls, walk the dogs, whatever you needed. Of course the service was broken down and you paid well for what you got, but it was so worth it! With large animals, it's almost impossible to get away for any length of time. She would come to the farm and meet the animals beforehand, and went over a lengthy and thorough questionnaire. And she was bonded, too. She did an outstanding job, and I wish she was still around.

The down side is you don't have much in the way of holidays and weekends, because that's when clients want to go. But if that fits in with your lifestyle, it can be great!
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  09:37:49 AM  Show Profile
My best advice, is to follow your bliss. Figure out what makes you happy and the rest will follow.

I began Country Egg only this past year, and it has been so much fun. Not to mention just an absolutely invaluable learning experience as far as setting up and running a business more or less "on the fly". BTW - I started with NO money and NO college education. I feel if I can do it anyone with a computer and a little know-how can.

I've taken all that I've learned and put it into a condensed lecture style class that I offer through community education. You're too far away for that to be much use to you, but I would be more than happy to share what I know through email or phone.

Babs :)

Country Egg
www.countryegg.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  09:52:46 AM  Show Profile
Laura - don't be discouraged! There are MANY of us farmgirls out here wanting to do and doing what you want to do, too. Don't let the paperwork scare you off. It's do-able - and you can do it. We sure can help each other - and Babs, what a generous offer of information!

You all are so great! I'm in the same boat as Laura, and you all are invaluable to me.

What ideas have you thought of the last couple of days, Laura?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  9:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks to you wonderful gals, I'm not so discouraged anymore! I really can do anything I set my mind and heart to. I've been thinking up lots of ideas! The first one is pet sitting. I love animals and have always dreamed of a career with them. When I was little, I was set on becoming a veterinarian. I wish I were still that ten year-old version of myself who got excited at the prospect of 6+ years of higher education! But things change, dreams fade, and new ones are born. My biggest issue with pet sitting is something Mary Ann pointed out: working holidays and weekends. But I'm still keeping it in mind! Another thing I'd LOVE to do is open a small greenhouse/gift shop. Back in my hometown of Oswego, IL, there is this super cute place. It used to be called The Nature Studio and although I don't think I'd ever gone inside(it went in and out of business and I never did get a chance to go in!) there was something magical about it. There were some small greenhouses, neat garden decor, vines all over the place, a little sitting area, and all cozied back by the river. Next time I'm in town, I have to see if it's open! I think it may have a new owner. I think this kind of venture would be for the future. For now I need something that I can run from home. And that leads me to crafting. I love creating things! I'm still very new to things like sewing, candle making, soap making; but would love to sell those things. I also love herbs and am interested in herbal products whether they be beauty aids, medicinal, aromatheraputic, etc. So I was thinking of making natural soaps, shampoos, and other body care products. And sewing! I just got my very own sewing machine for my birthday a few weeks ago! Sooo much to learn! Again, maybe some of these things are better suited for the future after I acquire some skills, but are more attainable than a greenhouse or large amount of land for farming, another interest! I'm going to stay positive! You all inspire me so much! Oh, and I sent in my resume to the local humane society. They're looking for an animal care assistant, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks again for all your help and I'll be sure to keep you posted!

Love and hugs,
Laura

"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2006 :  10:54:45 AM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thats the attitude to have, Laura...a positive one. FANTASTIC!!! And as far as the taxes go, just remember one thing,,hold on to each and every receipt and train your family to do the same. With some organization and a CPA if you need one...you will be fine. Small business taxes are not that scary if you maintain organization. Good luck to you with your ventures...I will be looking forward to hearing from you. Keep us posted.

-Simple pleasures make my heart smile-
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  12:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks a bunch! I discovered something great last night! I've been thinking about taking a few classes at the community college and have only ever looked at the credit courses. So, I decided to look at the non-credit courses and I had no idea there were so many! Veterinary Assistant, home-based business, floral design, cake decorating, creative writing, natural health, just to name a few! Many of them are online and much cheaper than credit classes. I'm learning to be patient and take the time to research and ask questions and just ponder it all. Something I've always been afraid of is getting stuck in a career or a job and not having a way out. I think that's a big reason why I haven't been able to succeed in college, find a permanent job, or just make up my mind on what I want to do! But if I stay in this between place, I'll never get anywhere and I could be missing out on so many wonderful opportunities. I'll never know unless I try. And there's always a way out. It's silly of me to think otherwise. Thanks for listening to me ramble!

Love and hugs,
Laura

Go to Top of Page

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2006 :  08:43:00 AM  Show Profile
the main thing is to get all the "learning" and info you can now BEFORE you start your life as a wife and mother, but know that your education WILL ALWAYS BE a continual process!!!!

But you are young and positive so those are too great things on your side!!!! Decide to live your dreams and don't let anything stop you!

My only piece of advice is that once you get a piece of your land and get it paid for, don't ever, under ANY circumstances, put another mortgage on it!!!! We did about ten years ago and if we hadn't right now I wouldn't be so panicked because of my recent loss of my newspaper editor job...

best wishes!!!!

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt!
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2006 :  11:51:20 AM  Show Profile
As I read thru this, I keep thinking of where my dreams have led me. I've always, always wanted to own a store. The store would offer wonderful housewares, gardening items, flowers, and gifts. When I left my full time human resource position to be at home, my husband encouraged me to start making small steps toward those dreams. Right now, I have the best of both worlds. We have held off on opening a storefront due to the overhead expense, hours required, and ages of our children, but I still can sell all of the things that I want to. I sell flowers and herbs at the local farmer's market, my handcrafted items are carried at local stores, and I also go to various art shows with them, and with Taste of Home Entertaining, a whole beautiful line of housewares have been added to the list. Not to mention, I'm getting quite a few calls to do wedding flowers too. I feel very blessed for these opportunities.

I agree with BamaSuzy - keep your expenses low, and with Babs - follow your dreams. The hardest part is just starting and believing that you can. Where there is a will there is a way. I've mentioned this website before too...they might be able to suggest a similar program in your area. www.growbusiness.org. It is offered thru our local YWCA.
Dream big,
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2007 :  9:43:44 PM  Show Profile
Take a peek over at www.storeybooks.com they have a wonderful selection of books on many creative enterprises - there is a book on starting a herbal bodycare business and lots of others about soapmaking, candlemaking and many others.
A few years back, I did board some small dogs for people who went on vacation. I had kennel cages and I have a large cemented dog run. Problem was, when the dogs had so much fun here they didn't want to leave lol - I kept it very low key as to not attract a lot of attention. I put up flyers at some vet offices and checked with people I knew who vacationed and needed dog sitters. It was good extra money. I am boarding a corgi for a girl from out of state until July and even though the pay is low - $9 per day, the $270 comes in handy at the end of the month.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me. I also did crafty stuff some years back and put on consignment in some of the fancy shops - that was fun too, but handpainting very large decorative birdhouses took a lot of time!
Check out some freelance writing jobs too, you may find something up your alley. I have been an independent contractor for an online dating critique service for over a year now - it is good money.

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  11:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks so much for all your advice! I'm really hoping to get the job at the humane society. I had an interview and a volunteer day last week and both went well. That way I can do work I love, earn a small but steady income, and still have time to work on my crafting and researching and dreaming for the future. Thanks again!

Much love,
Laura

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2007 :  12:23:24 PM  Show Profile
Follow your heart, and your dreams - somehow it all seems to work out. I couldn't work outside of home anymore because of fibromyalgia. I had enjoyed my job at the hospital, but the stress got to be way too much and at the time, I had my dad with cancer and then my mom and then my sister - it was all too much on my plate.
I have to admit, I still sometimes take on more than I can handle, must be the Superwoman complex but I am my own boss. You might want to look into reselling items from thrift shops or even the trash has some treasures - Ebay has saved me many of times! I also have a used book business on Abebooks.com and have had that for years - most of the books were either trash finds or thriftshop books that cost next to nothing!
I would love to volunteer at the Humane Society, my problem would be bringing home all the unwanted pets. If you really love animals, see if there is a wildlife refuge close by, that was some of the most rewarding volunteering I have ever done, plus I learned how to raise baby squirrels and they let me do it from home when I learned how - I never even minded cleaning out cages lol.

Hugs!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

NancyM
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Nancy
Fall City WA
113 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  1:57:28 PM  Show Profile
Don't let the thought of paperwork keep you from following your dreams. It is daunting at first, but like anything else soon becomes second nature. Take a class at a community college on starting a business, read, talk to people who are already petsitters. Hire an accountant from the get go-they can help keep you from making some costly mistakes. Make sure to find one you're comfortable with.
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Pet sitting and other business venture ramblings Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page