Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What I Have Been Up To The Last Couple Of Years.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What I Have Been Up To The Last Couple Of Years. Next Topic  

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  10:07:22 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad to have a good internet connection and be able to be back here with all my Farmgirl Sisters. It has been a whirlwind the last two years and I think the best way to share my adventures is in photos. So here goes:
In December of 2013 we sold our cute little house in Southern Wisconsin. Had three huge sales to unload all of our excess stuff!
Bought this big, used Fifth Wheel and a Dodge Diesel truck to pull it with.
Loaded up the dogs, Tank and Molly and hit the road!
Traveled to Cape Coral, FL and spent Christmas and New Years with Robb's Mom. Parked the trailer in her side yard.
Used the time staying in her house to remodel the trailer so it didn't look like Motel 6.
Arrived at our first Workamper job in Vidalia, LA. Right on the Mississippi River and across from Natchez, MS I worked in the office and Robb did ground maintenance in exchange for our site.
Made a little extra money painting two murals. One at the campground community room and one at the owner's home.
Our next wonkamping job was in Hill City, SD We both worked in maintenance. As you can see I kept container gardens.
Beautiful scenery and my DD, Shannon got to come and visit for a week. Her Grandmother flew her home from Hawaii and they drove out and rented a cabin at the campground. I was able to take a week off of work and site see.
Our next job was at an antique store in Bandera, TX
I did restoration painting on antiques and DH worked in the restoration shop.
I was also able to dig through furniture that the owner didn't want to restore and do some fun painting. The owner is a regular seller at the Round Top Antique Show.
The owner also got wind of my Glamping and we ended up restoring a 1967 Kenskill trailer for her to take to Round Top shows.

During our stay in Texas, I was able to fly to Hawaii and visit my DD for two weeks!
Hawaii is beautiful! My DD and SIL are station there for the Army.
Headed back to Wisconsin to work on a goat farm.
I painted a sign for the gardens that use disabled vets to help grow and sell produce.
I also got a part time job working in a greenhouse! Hubby was busy taking care of all the animals at the farm.
One day while driving around we found this little cottage with some land and out buildings in Farmginton, Wisconsin. We fell in love and bought it! I have been working on the interior and shopping antique and junk shops for furniture. We will be selling our trailer this spring. The whole plan was to travel and find a place to buy a small homestead. We never thought that it would be back in our home state of Wisconsin. We both realized that we missed this state and it's good to be back. I will post my cottage redecorating on another post.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Jan 31 2016 05:05:10 AM

KristiW
Moderator/Farmgirl True

639 Posts

Kristine
MaryJanesFarm
USA
639 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  10:42:59 AM  Show Profile
Wow, you are an adventurer! Thank you so much for sharing all your awesome pictures and I'm glad you ended up back where your heart is <3

Kristi
Farmgirl Sister #6

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  10:43:14 AM  Show Profile
HI Daine and Welcome back!! I now remember you and your time before you left on your great 2 year adventure. Wow, you two had some wonderful stops and did some incredible things. I love, love your new homestead and excited to see what you and hubby do to develop and expand all of it's possibilities. It is all very exciting!! Thanks for sharing all of your photos and I look forward to seeing more.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  7:08:21 PM  Show Profile
Diane...so happy to welcome you back! What an exciting Adventure you and DH had!!! That takes a lot
of mojo...to go find work here and there and just travel around looking for a place to relocate.
Loved all your pictures and it was nice that your daughter connected with you for 2 wks and then you
got to go to Hawaii for 2 weeks/very nice. Love your new little cottage...how cute! Can't wait to see
your restoration pictures as you go along.

Hugs and Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6932 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6932 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  7:23:45 PM  Show Profile
What an amazing adventure you were able to experience. I love your bridge mural painting. It’s so peaceful looking. You are a very talented woman. Your adventure was a great way for you to showcase those talents.
Glad to hear that you ended up back at home. I can’t wait to see your cottage redecorating post.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2016 :  9:06:31 PM  Show Profile
What great memories,,, what great fun and now for the next chapter... more new memories.
hugz -n- squiches....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6584 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6584 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  04:48:09 AM  Show Profile
What an adventure you have been on Diane, what fun and the memories you and your hubby have made! Great pics too!
Now you can settle down a on your new homestead which looks fabulous by the way and make it your own. What fun and new memories you will make on this adventure!
Enjoy and welcome home to you as well, it is good to see you back on the farm.

Hugs,
Deb
Blessed in Colorado

"You must do the thing you think you can not do." Eleanor Roosevelt

Women are Angels,and when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We're flexible like that.

www.etsy.com/shop/MountainWingsAntique
www.Amazon.com/Blessed in Colorado
http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on Jan 30 2016 04:49:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  08:14:49 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I'm glad you had your adventure . . . better you than me! I'm also glad you found your sweet little cottage and have been fixing is up in grand style! It's adorable!
Welcome back to the Connection!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  2:10:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing your adventures! Sounds like you had some great experiences! Enjoy your new home and being able to spend more time on MJF!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  2:54:53 PM  Show Profile
What a great adventure...and I say that is truly living in the moment, with confidence and faith in yourself that you will be able to navigate an enjoyable journey no matter what road you are taking. It is the perfect example of "You can create your life". It takes some planning, flexibility, courage, curiosity and the list of qualities goes on and on. You definitely are an example of not living a fear based life! Yeah! What joy and satisfaction you must have. Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  5:31:24 PM  Show Profile
Diane, what color and brand is the aqua/turquoise dresser? I am looking for a good color like that.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2016 :  8:28:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for catching us up on the details of your two-year adventure. I am glad you found your way back a little closer to me. Hope we can connect for Jubilee.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  04:59:56 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Farmgirl friends! It has been an exciting couple of years. The traveling was a great adventure but I missed growing my own food and having fresh eggs. It feels good to have a home base again. Even though the trailer we had was large, we had to downsize quite a bit. Now I find myself buying equipment and supplies that we used to have. I also have to start my gardens all over again. I am so happy to be back at MaryJanesFarm and am excited to see some of the long timers on here. Also looking forward to meeting new Farmgirls and maybe joining some swaps again now that I have a permanent address.

farmgirl sister #922

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  12:52:28 PM  Show Profile
Holy smokes! What an awesome story. Glad you're back!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl #134
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2016 :  2:08:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Jessie! I posted the interior redecorating over at A Farm Of My Own. Here is the link http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=71599

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1414 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1414 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2016 :  11:22:29 AM  Show Profile
WOW Diane!! Fun seeing all your pics :) What an adventure!!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  04:57:33 AM  Show Profile
Did you schedule your Workamper jobs in advance, and were you paid or did you just have free hook ups in exchange for your work? Did you have to stay a certain # of days at each place, or did that evolve as you went along? Your travels were very interesting.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.
www.etsy.com/shop/
anniemayme
Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2016 :  06:37:38 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn, yes we scheduled our workamper jobs in advance. Some of them over 6 months ahead. Our first one was at an RV pard in Louisiana. We worked only 10 hours each in exchange for our full hook up site. The next one was in an RV resort in the Black Hills of SD. That one we worked 40 each but it was a paid job that included our full hook up site. Then we got a job in Texas at an antique restoration shop that we worked 40 hours each per week. It was a paid salary position that included our full hook up site. Most of these jobs we found either through Workamper.com or Colleens Workers on Wheels. Most of them require a certain amount of stay. The Louisiana job was for the winter so we stayed from January until April. The SD job was for the summer so we stayed from the middle of April until September. The Texas job was for as long as we wanted. We stayed there from September until March. We needed to find paying jobs since we could just get by on DH's military retirement. We had loans on both the camper and the truck because we didn't make much on our house sale. I honestly don't know how full time RVers that don't at least work for their site manage it. RV full hook up sites are expensive!

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What I Have Been Up To The Last Couple Of Years. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page