happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  11:35:23 AM  Show Profile
I have been absolutely swamped the last month and have been checking in but not posting; it seems like once I get started, I lose all track of time. Anyway, here's the good, the bad, and the ugly (thank you, Clint Eastwood)

Good -- The exterior is almost finished. Still left to do is putting the shingles and steps on the front porch and then putting the siding on the front side. The heater (a Hardy -- wood with electric back-up with the wood box out in the yard) has been in a few weeks and works wonderfully. We also have a working toilet in the basement. My husband is almost done with the upstairs wiring, and tomorrow he's going to install the basement bathroom vanity/sink and hook that up. **Now, for the biggie -- we have 2 beds and a table & chairs set up in the basement and are living in the basement, only going to the camper to cook. It's lovely having room to move around, etc.

Bad -- I'd really wanted to be moved into the upstairs by Friday, when our son gets home from college, but it's looking doubtful. Once my husband finishes the wiring, he still has to put in the plumbing, and then we can put in the insulation (walls and ceiling). THEN, we can move upstairs. That will make a huge difference, but we're just not there yet.

Ugly -- Well, when we first talked to the banker and then to the appraisor who came out, we clearly told them we were only going to finish the basement now and leave the upstairs walls and flooring undone and finish as we could. The banker and appraisor said "no problem". Well, we called to set up closing at the end of January because we know we'll have the basement done by then. The banker's secretary said the house needs to be finished, even the upstairs. When I explained what I just told you, she said she'd have the banker call; that was Wednesday and still no call. If that's the case (and I told her that), then we're going to need more money (we're almost maxed out on our construction loan) because we don't have the $$ for the wall & ceilings. Plus, the appraisal amount did not include that, nor did the list of materials I provided to the appraisor & bank. I specifically told them we were not finishing those things, so . . .

Also, we wanted to close at the end of January because this fall my part-time teaching has been for more hours than it will be in the spring, so my income is higher, which is better on the loan paperwork!

Plus, we're paying prime for the construction loan, and the current rate that we could lock in on for a January closing is 2.25% lower!!!

So now we need about $3,000 to finish the walls and ceilings, and we're already on a tight budget. I know it will all work out and am determined not to be stressed over it.

Well, ladies, that's pretty much it. A friend asked me the other day how it's going and if I'd do it again, knowing what I do. Yes, I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but there are definitely some changes I would make. It will be worth it in the long run, I know, so that's what I try to focus on.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  12:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Patti- I was just writing out your Christmas card and thinking that I hadn't heard from you in a while., So I am happy to see that you checked in. I wish you all the best on the house. It has been a long road from the sound of things but it wil be woth it in the end. Sending you my very best wishes.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  12:45:02 PM  Show Profile
I've been thinking about you a lot, too, Patti! Thanks for the update. I'll be praying for the closing... and a phone call from the banker early this week so you can rest easy.

Love,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  1:08:16 PM  Show Profile
Not sure about your part of the world but zoning/construction codes prevent people from living in unfinished houses in our area. Fire, health codes as well. Homeowners insurance will not cover it as a residence (including posessions) until there is a certificate of occupancy and final inspection. I hope this is different in your area as it seems you have planned your situation that way. I would double check with whoever you will and probably are paying taxes to. They would have the final say regarding what is an acceptable situation.
Do not trust the bank or mortgage company to do your research for you. We just had friends close on a house they were told was definitely not in a flood plan only to have $4oo. tacked to their mortgage for flood insurance the day of closing! Being informed is power for you to deal with the bank/mortgage people and maneuver to your best advantage.
With all that said, I hope your house turns out just the way you dreamed, I know you have been excited about it for a long time. It must be fun watching the progress, but frustrating too wanting it to go faster. Keep us posted and good luck!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  3:49:42 PM  Show Profile
That's so exciting! It's great to hear from you and get an update, Patti - it can be pretty confusing and frustrating dealing with banks and mortgage companies -- here's to everything working out great for you!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  09:43:03 AM  Show Profile
Bramble, we're fortunate (can be unfortunate, too, though) that the county we're moving into has no regulations regarding this type of thing. We checked before we even bought our land -- no building codes, no codes regarding what is and isn't a residence, etc. That's good for us right now, but there are some places on some back roads in the county that are a real eyesore!

It's raining today, so the porch roof and siding are delayed another day. When I left for school (giving finals this week), dh was finishing the upstairs wiring, and he & the contractor were talking about working on the plumbing and insulation together (we weren't going to have the contractor help with either, but . . .), which would mean faster progress. Hopefully, the sun will be out tomorrow and the outside work can get finished.

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  7:24:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh Patti I'm so glad! Knowing what they hold us to, I was truly worried for you. Now I will just send up prayers for safe and speedy construction progress! Let the sunshine! (My husband does old house restoration - think Norm on This Old House) and I was grilling him about the requirements . He's got a roof off right now and hurrying to get it covered before the bad weather gets here. It's always something with new and old houses, good luck; we're rooting for you!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  02:59:03 AM  Show Profile
You are a brave woman, Patti! Just buying a pre-existing home and going through the normal realtor/banker stuff about through me over the edge! LOL
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  1:05:41 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie,
I'm not sure if it's bravery or naivete (also known as stupidity )! I had read lots of things about building, got some great advice and comments here, and as prepared as I thought I was, I wasn't (if that makes sense). As far as being pushed over the edge, we're not done yet!!

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2007 :  12:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Patti glad to here things are working out even if slow. We are still unpacking and fighting with our contractor to get things finished but since he went under finacialy it's been tough. Would I build again? Yes but like you I would change somethings and be more involved everyday. Hope all goes well.

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Update on the house Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page