MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7077 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7077 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2015 :  6:09:26 PM  Show Profile
This last week I took my 9 year old Alaskan Malamute to the doctor and found out she has bad arthritis in her hips. The doctor wants me to put her on some glucosamine and anti-inflammatory. I want to help my girl feel better but not keep her drugged all the time. Do any of you have dogs with arthritis? If so what do you do to help them feel better? Or what do you give them as medicine?

Krista

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  08:15:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Both of our 11 year old Labs have bad arthritis in their hips. We do give them joint pills with glucosamine and we give them MSM which is recommended by the chiropractor that I worked for. Neither make them feel drugged but do seem to help them feel better. If they are having an especially bad day I will give them canine aspirin. The vet recommended Rymidal but from experience that is not good for Labs, major liver issues. Not sure how it would be for a Malamute. Swimming is a great exercise for arthritis as it is non weight bearing.

Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  4:00:26 PM  Show Profile
Although I haven't tried it, I've heard that canine acupuncture can help arthritis.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  4:25:48 PM  Show Profile
I made my 13 year old shepherd/lab and 13 year old shizu (spelling) turmeric paste and give them 1/4 tsp twice per day. Seems to help them they are not stiff when they get up.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

7077 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
7077 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  7:43:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kathy. I will make sure I keep up with her glucosamine then. I actually came across some of that canine aspirin today. I should go back and get some. Thanks for the idea about swimming. She really needs to get some exercise and it’s so hard because she doesn’t want to move. I will definitely give the swimming a try. May need to wait tell spring since it’s too cold now.

Prariehawk, I have never heard of canine acupuncture. I am going to look into that.

Ingrid, I have never heard of turmeric paste. From my quick search it’s an anti-inflammatory but made from natural ingredients. I like that. I am all about going with natural things rather than drugs. I will for sure look into making some of this!

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Arthritis in dogs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page