Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 What Is On Your Thanksgiving Dinner Menu...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic What Is On Your Thanksgiving Dinner Menu... Next Topic  

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  12:42:08 PM  Show Profile

I am still working on my menu trying to make final decisions...especially what to make for desserts...

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  1:12:46 PM  Show Profile
Well, my Mom's cooking this year.... She's making turkey with gravy, mashed potatoes, French meat pie, cranberry sauce, pickles, olives, stuffed celery, mixed vegetables and salad for dinner. Dessert is just going to be a whole lotta pumpkin and apple pie - both with vanilla ice cream, of course! ;) But if you're looking for dessert ideas, if you'd like to try something a little different, what about a pumpkin trifle layered with pumpkin-pie flavored pudding, whipped cream and either crushed ginger snaps or torn up ginger bread... The top layer would be whipped cream drizzled with a caramel sauce. YUM!!! Another family favorite is a cranberry flavored jello-salad - such a refreshingly light treat after such a heavy meal! I also really like to lay out a platter with an assortment of sliced pumpkin chocolate chip bread, cranberry nut bread and date nut bread. For appetizers, we do stuffed celery, pickles and olives, pumpkin and apple butter with soda crackers, and a homemade cheese ball with artisan-style crackers. And when we were growing up, one of our family friends always served up a tray of stuffed dates and a basket of whole nuts for crackin'! :) I hope this helps a little! I'm sure whatever you serve, it will be glorious and wonderful! Happy Thanksgiving! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  5:08:53 PM  Show Profile

Nini...Everything sounds so good...I just love to hear what everyone else is planning to have...

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  07:11:32 AM  Show Profile
CONFESSION TIME: It is just DH and I this year - by choice - and it is pretty difficult to cook such a holiday dinner for just two without eating leftovers for too long. I tried a turkey breast one year, but that just isn't the same, is it?

So last year we let Wegmans do the cooking...and it was fabulous! So I think we may do that again. The smartest thing they do is cook some smallish turkeys and cut them in half from nose to tail so each customer gets one of the favorite parts and not a crazy amount of leftovers.

The mashed potatoes were incredible to the point I had to ask what made them so yummy: butter and whipping cream. I think you could put butter and whipping cream on a pile of mud and I would eat it!

We see family either before or after the actual holiday. Traveling 95 in the Atlantic corridor ON Thanksgiving is just too ugly and eats up too much of the day to make it worthwhile. Kinda sad but true.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6951 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6951 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  12:24:56 PM  Show Profile
What about yams? They are my favorite part of Thanksgiving! I love yams with melted marshmallows on top. Another Thanksgiving favorite of mine is green bean casserole.

Nini- my mom always makes a jell-o salad for Thanksgiving. She uses raspberry instead. We were actually just talking about the salad this morning. It’s so perfect to go along with all the other heavy portions.

My husband’s side of the family is having Thanksgiving tomorrow. I am in charge of a simple relish tray. Then we will actually spend Thanksgiving Day with my side of the family. There isn’t a menu for that one quite yet!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  5:03:56 PM  Show Profile
Yams or sweet potatoes are part of our Thanksgiving dinner. Also green bean (the only vegetable besides the sweet potatoes my bil will eat).also potatoes, gravy, wild rice dressing, cranberry walnut salad, rolls and pumpkin and apple pie.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  6:08:12 PM  Show Profile

Everything sounds so good!!!I also love sweet potatoes(yams)and so does my husband...we love them with a bit of brown sugar and butter...

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13627 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13627 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  8:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I have no clue yet . . . will be just hubby and son and me . . . a simple meal, I'm sure!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

5094 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
5094 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2015 :  4:21:12 PM  Show Profile
It's Lily June's 1st Thanksgiving so mashed Potatoes for sure! LOL!! and Mac and Cheese! I got a gravy recipe from November Better Homes and Gardens, it is from the blonde lady that sings in Little Big Town. Her Farm family recipe. When she is not on the road singing, she lives on a farm near Nashville, Tennessee Happy Thanksgiving from our little Farm baby!

Farmgirl Hugs! Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2015 :  6:17:41 PM  Show Profile
Awww. Lily June has the sweetest smile!
DH and I will go to my sister's for Thanksgiving. She always makes a Traditional dinner. She will make Turkey, and sides of grn bean casserole, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, and whatever. A niece will bring pies. I am assigned relish trays and appetizers. I love to fancy up the relish trays. Appetizers will have to be the family favorites: dried beef roll ups, a cheese ball, ham and dill pickle roll ups. A new one will be mini capresse skewers and another I haven't chosen yet. Something without cheese. It will be fun! There house will be decorated for Christmas. It always looks like House Beautiful. Nini, what is the "meat pie" like?

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

Edited by - forgetmenot on Nov 20 2015 6:18:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2015 :  6:59:55 PM  Show Profile
That sweet li'll Lily is the cutest thing. She brings joy to all who see her.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  04:45:26 AM  Show Profile

What a sweet picture Ms. Connie...How much you all have to be thankful for this year...added sweetness at the Thanksgiving table...just not a dessert!!!LOL We are having Thanksgiving Dinner today(Saturday)at my house...I have stepdaughters which one has a new husband and the other one a fiancé...so I am being nice and letting them spend Thanksgiving Day with their mom...grandmother...and others that they want to visit with...):):):)...On my menu...Turkey...dressing...ham...sweet potatoes...mashed potatoes...deviled eggs...dumplings made from turkey broth(yummy)green beans...corn...and peas for me...also rolls...Swiss chocolate cake and banana pudding...I am off to cook...hope everyone has a wonderful weekend...

Hugs!

Judy

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  1:13:44 PM  Show Profile
Connie, Lily June is so darn cute! What a smile, she is obviously very happy!

Bonnie, what is in the wild rice dressing, sounds good, (and minnesotan) with the wild rice!

I am having my dad, sister and daughter and son in law for dinner then my sisters 2 kids and my brothers family come over later for dessert. Will have the traditional turkey, dressing, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes. My son in law has celiac so he makes gluten free rolls that are really good, we just don't tell grandpa they are gluten free....
I'm thinking of making a jello salad, Nini's sounds good.

Everyone, Have a blessed thanksgiving!!!
Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  1:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
We had our dinner a couple of nights ago. This is a meal just for me, DH, and our children to enjoy and reflect during. I made turkey, fresh cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole (with sweet potatoes from my garden), and green bean casserole (green beans also from my garden) with homemade cream of mushroom. Normally, I also would have made winter squash rolls and pumpkin pie with vanilla bean whipped cream. The pumpkin and squash also from the garden!! :) I didn't get to those baked goodies, because my 13 yo daughter shot her first deer this year the night before and we were processing the meat most of the day.

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl.wordpress.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic What Is On Your Thanksgiving Dinner Menu... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page