1/2 tsp. real vanilla extract
3 1/3 c. finely ground almonds OR hazelnuts
3 1/3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1-2 tsp. cinnamon
Good quality seedless raspberry jam
Confectioner's sugar
Almond extract( if making almond version)

Preheat oven to 350 degreesF. Beat butter and sugar until fluffy and blended. Add vanilla,egg, egg yolk, lemon rind and vanilla. Stir in nuts. In separate bowl sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon
until well mixed. Mix all together until a stiff dough forms. Wrap and chill several hours or overnight. Cut dough in half and keep 2nd half refrigerated until needed. Roll out dough between wax paper to about 1/4" thickness. Remove top layer and cut out with circle cookie cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and repeat with second half of dough. Make equal number of cirles but cut out centers of second batch. Use mini cookie cutter shapes or soda cap to make center holes. Bake both sheets for 10-12 minutes. Remove when slightly browned to cooling racks for about 5 minutes. In a saucepan on low, heat raspberry jam (and 1 tsp. almond extract if using almonds). Spread each solid circle cookie with hot jam and top with circle missing it's center. Allow to cool completely and dust with confectioner's sugar before serving. Makes about 4 dozen. ( This recipe was in a magazine(?) years ago and I think it was from an article about Maria von Trappe & Family. I always make them with hazelnuts because of the German side of my family, but the almond version is good too ( and easier to find ready to use).Happy Baking!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Dec 07 2006 11:25:41 PM

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  01:17:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much bramble...I can't wait to try these!
Di
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  08:44:19 AM  Show Profile
I have a recipe from a German friend and it's a bit simpler. We make these every Christmas! The German red-currant jelly is the best if you can get it otherwise I use Shwartau raspberry seedless from the Commisary - probably in good import markets ie World Market. (it is a bit pricey but worth it, it makes a difference).

200g(1 C plus 2T) butter
250g of Flour
2 eggs
1 package Vanilla Sugar
cream until light and fluffy then add:

500g of flour

Chill well (at least 1 hour). Roll thin, cut out with star shaped cutter. Use a canape cutter to cut circles or stars out of half (tops) bake until very light golden. Fill with 1/2 tsp of jelly (eyeball it as to how much is to much) and top. Dust generously with powdered sugar. YUM! (They actually are better if you let them sit a day... but we usually can't wait that long!)

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Linzer Tart Cookies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page