Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Doglady Next Topic  

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  5:52:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tina,
It is nice to see another fur mommy. I have a little fur baby Miss Candi. I post her adventures on my blog. www.turtlelane.blogspot.com She is a special needs baby.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  3:42:20 PM  Show Profile
Guess I'm a fur momma too. So that's what you call us

I have 2 cats for the moment, and a puppy expected to arrive along the way in another 6 weeks.

Pity I'm technologically illiterate, otherwise I'd start a blog too. That way others could see the tiny littly pups and wait in eager anticipation too. The mother is in Philly, I'm in NC and the breeder/overseer/co-owner will go up north to pick up pups closer to their weaning time. It's all a little confusing, but I'm just thrilled to have something to look forward to. Especially since the month of January has nothing going on anyway!

Am still in the process of thinking up a name. It's been tough since I name my pets w/ people names and try not to have the names associated w/ anyone I know. Abby our first dog came by way of a really good romance movie called A Map of The Human Heart.

i'm not much of a romance movie fan, but this partiular one had me rivited. It was long and really good. The heroine's name was Abertine,hence the name Abby.

So closer to the home arrival date, I'll post under the Barnyard Buddies.

And I guess my parents would be fur-grandparents. And they'll tell you so!
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  5:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Elizabeth,

I'm a fur momma clear through. I have raised Miniature Schnauzers for over 25 years now and this is the only breed we raise. I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner but I have been pretty busy with two litters of babies. What kind of fur baby will you be getting? Many have already been reserved but I still have a couple of them to find the right homes for. I'm very picky where they go so I take my time. They will start to leave right before Christmas. We don't like to have Christmas puppies but that's when Mother Nature decided this time. I never let them go into the new homes on 12/24 or 12/25 as there is just too much chaos for the puppies to adjust. All of my pet fur babies are placed with spay/neuter signed agreements. Many of these particular little ones will be going to homes with all boys. Kind of odd that there were no little girls in these families. We spent about 2 hours taking pictures of them today(It's not easy getting them to sit still).LOL They kept trying to eat the Christmas tree as the basket was too close to it. All babies just have to taste everything. I'm not sure how to post pictures on this site or I would let you see them but I will try to have the new pictures on my site in a couple of days. They look like little "Ewoks" right now at 6 weeks and are sooooooooo much fun.

Anna, how about the name "Holly" since you are getting you fur baby around Christmas for a girl or Chris Kringle for a boy. Many of my new owners give their fur babies first, middle, and last names!! ; )

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  5:40:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tina,
I have a parti poodle. I adopted her from the Rescue center. Let me tell you they were pickier than CPS is.We had to go through more to adopt her than people do to get children. LOL First we were foster parents. Then they had to check our home out and make sure I was a stay at home mom. They check to be sure she had a nice bed to sleep in. Then they call our vet and checked up out along with other people. We had to wait about 2 months while they checked us out. She is a special needs baby. Some one had beaten her so badly. She weight 6 pounds and had no fur when we got her. Her tummy is still messed up from the abuse. We have spent about 3,000 in the 18 months we have had her just on vet bills to get and keeep her well. She weights 10 pounds now and is doing good. The vet says my love made her real. Just like the rabbit.

Anna,
Yes we are fur mommies. I refer to Miss Candi as my fur baby. Dog just sounds so demeaning. LOL She is so much like a baby to me. I don't have children at home so she gets all my attendtion.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  03:46:41 AM  Show Profile
Holly is a possibility

I'll be getting a female for sure the breeder knows this so it's locked in

Thought about Noel, but I knew an antelope w/ that name

Doglady....maybe you can help clear something for me My breeder knows the dog we desire will be an addition to the family. I have absoutly no desire for the show ring, and will therefore spay when the time is right. Abby our first Belgian came pre-spayed at 9 weeks! I hear that folks these days are finding out this is bad as it messes up growth plates? guess that's why Abby tipped the scales at a pathetic 50 pounds at her heaviest and was a long gangly thing. 'Course, she loved to run too and had a fast metabolism even at 8. But I'm at a loss when I hear spaying after the first cycle may cause incontinence?? I can't find anything concrete about either. I trust my vet. Also read that Belgians should be treated as sight hounds when it comes to anesthesia. Pretty interesting.

Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  06:44:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Anna,

I have never ever heard of spaying any breed at 9 weeks! I would think that would definately cause incontinence. If you spay your dog too soon (before 4 months), they tend to have urinary problems for most of their life. Nor do you need to allow the dog to come into heat once (unless your breeder insists on it for some "good" reason). I have seen these problems on dogs that I used to groom.

For Schnauzers, I tell everyone the ideal age to spay and neuter is 5 1/2 - 6 1/2 months as Schnauzers tend to come into their first heat at about 9-11 months. You want the urinary system to be developed but you don't want the dog to have an accidental breeding with the next door Beagle! There always seems to be a Beagle around for that. LOL I'd ask your breeder when the average time for a Belgian's first heat is and then back it up by two months. Sometimes, vet's use an average and not what's appropriate for each breed.

I would agree that by spaying a dog extremely young you would mess up the growth plates. Any vet that does that ought to be smacked! If you want to spay after the first cycle, I would not think that it would cause incontinence. As I said, that usually happens by spaying too young. I would discuss your concerns with the anesthesia before your dog arrives at the vets in case you would want to get another vet who understands the problem. Some dogs are sensitive to it and caution would be in order. Good Luck with your new little fur baby.

Tina

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  11:42:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Tina.

Yes, there are many things to do before the middle of January gets here...includung talkig to the vet. I also want to schedule a few visits w/ pup in tow just to make it a positive.

One vet I had to deal w/ in Florida had never heard of the Belgian breeds. Oh boy did I run! Thank goodness we only lived there for a short 9 months. The vet I deal w/ now has a few Belgian breeds in his practice (mostly Malinois), so a Tervuren on the scene won't phase this practice in the least. When I had Abby, even the receptionist knew what a Tervuren was!
Go to Top of Page

momof2jrt
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Denise
grafton wv
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  12:16:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh how I love this discussion...I have two jack russells and one siberian husky...oh how they bring so much joy to me...

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  05:14:19 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Ohhhh tina....I have 2 mini schnauzers. One is 16 yrs old and slowly and surely passing:( We grew up together. Winnie is the queen. Then there's Louis (LOU-EE) he's 2.5 yrs. He is a BIG mini. Vet saw his paws as a pup and said he will be large. He balances perfectly like standing up because he has a large rib cage area. He is my baby. We've only had schnauzers because of them being hypoallergenic. I never heard of fur babies! hehe I dress him up he has a reindeer outfit this year. He has sweaters for cold walks. He has a GIANT bed from LL Bean with some blankets of mine that he loves. He is just so wonderful. Winnie is superb back in her days. She was a runt and soooo smart! I love how if you take time to explain things hey totally learn and understand. Ok I could rave on and on. I love my babies! Oh and louis was neutured at around 5 months. Lil early BUT his growth was NOT affected;) and he squats to pee and is not a horny dog. He's a sweet little boy. Yay for fur babies and their mums!

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  05:33:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bridget,

Yep, sounds like everyone on this thread are true fur baby moms!! LOL I hear you on the hypoallergenic part. I am a retired Master Dog Groomer (can groom over 130 different breeds) and I have seen many breeds that I would have loved to owned but I became pretty spoiled with the Schnauzer breed early on because they don't shed one hair anywhere ; ) Even if they are really ratty looking, they scrub up pretty nice. The Belgian Tervuren is a really smart dog too. They do so well in obedience.
Miss Candi has a great momma, for this little dog to have been in the shape that she was in and gain so much weight and thriving. A little dog could'nt have it any better. One of my new homes has found reindeer antlers for her new 8 week old baby that I'll be placing with her. I can't wait to see these things on a puppy. LOL Dogs put up with so much from us humans and expect nothing in return.

Tina

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  05:48:02 AM  Show Profile
Check out my blog to see how my fur baby likes to help me craft!! She even has her own tin of cookies on my lamp table!!

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  07:40:40 AM  Show Profile
Yippee!!! A thread about pups! It's so funny, Doglady, my childhood dog was a mini schnauzer who lived to be 15--she was incredibly mean, though Loved my mom, but noone else! When I moved out on my own, I got an 8 week old siberian husky, named Lily, who lived to be 14--she was my best friend, and now, my husband and I together have 4 dogs, though we've never had a puppy....anyone who has a husky from a pup on may agree with me--Lily sortof "fixed" my need for a puppy, she was so difficult until she turned 2.
We have Finnigan (English setter, pitbull mix), Rose (98 lb. German Shepherd), Elie (Black Lab, Border Collie mix) and Daisy Bad Seed (7 year old beagle)....quite a motley crew, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Everyone with the exception of Finnigan is a shelter dog from a small rural shelter where I was the adoption counselor...all three were "foster dogs" :)
After Lily passed, I never thought I could love so much again--boy howdy do dogs bring out the best in us!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  10:37:27 AM  Show Profile
I posted on my blog www.turtlelane.blogspot this morning new pictures of Miss Candi. She has been a monster this morning and up to no good. LOL
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  1:35:29 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth,

It breaks my heart when I hear of abused animals. How can people be so cruel?? Your baby is so lucky that you found her and adopted her.

Peace..

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  05:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Oh and I almost forgot this cute story. So the older one Winnie was not doing so well. I thought she'd died. I lost my 19 yr old cousin to a drunk driver, my bf of 2.5 years back to his country (long story) and if I'd lose her I'd be a nutcase. So I said as bad as it sounds I need to get another dog right away so I have something to look forward to. We called the vet and the one lady said yeah at this pet store (lil ma and pa one) in the window I saw a schnauzer. So like a week later we went there HE was so sweet. VERY social and adoreable. I fell in love so fast. So he IS the doggie in the window! :)

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  08:46:46 AM  Show Profile
After we lost Abby, I had thought about a rescue group, and could have had a dog in hand 2 weeks after Abby was gone. This really would have been too soon. Realistically, we need a pup anyway. With 2 cats in the house, chickens everywhere and our God-children, I really insisted on a young and impressionable mind......not one that had already formed an opinion on life.

I have thought many times if there were a decent living at taking and training therapy pups.....it would be the best! As an animal keeper and horticulturalist, we already struggle financially sometimes.

I really envy the folks who can do this just because they can......how fun!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Doglady Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page