Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 I FINISHED my first scarf!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I FINISHED my first scarf!!! Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  12:03:05 PM  Show Profile
I say that because I have 6 scarves knit (because they covered casting on and knitting in the lesson, but not how to stop!!!)so I never knew how to bind them off--I ran over on my lunch hour today to the knitting store, sat down and made them show me and now I can finally put this one in the mail to the my Aunt for Christmas!

Tonight I'll go home and finish the others and have many more sets of knitting needles, now!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  12:06:23 PM  Show Profile
Hurray for you!!! Knitting is one obsession I hope I never get over! Scarves today ---- maybe socks tomorrow????

xxx susan

Lovin' my life
http://BizzyHands.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

GRITSgal
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Jamie
Cave Spring Georgia
44 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  12:53:34 PM  Show Profile  Send GRITSgal an AOL message  Send GRITSgal a Yahoo! Message
Yay!! You will love knitting if you try knit socks or hat.. :)
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  1:06:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the encouragement--I've seen people knitting socks and it looks like a torture device, all those needles sticking out! Maybe I'll give them a shot, though...I do love the idea of handmade socks.

I initially wanted to knit hats, to replace one that was made for me long ago, but sweet, sweet, KTknits made one so pretty, that there's no way I could top it!

I really need to learn more than the "knit" stitch, too, I think, although it really does appeal to my OCD--everything neat and tidy and even!!!!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  1:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, you should sign up for the Hot Socks Swap and get some cool sock yarn out of it! Swapping isn't until January and even if you're still not ready for socks by then, well, you'll have the yarn sitting there waiting for when you are ready!

Congrats on the scarf! Keep on knitting!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  1:20:07 PM  Show Profile
Oops! Sorry Jonni, I just saw in another post that you are opting out of swaps for now because you know your limits...I totally understand! NO PRESSURE to join in the Hot Socks Swap! But keep on knitting anyway...and keep on telling us about your projects! I love to hear about them.

Catherine

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  1:57:32 PM  Show Profile
No worries, Catherine--I'd really love to join in a swap one day--right now, I'm just slammed with work, and I'd be too afraid to flake out--I HATE HATE HATE to disappoint people.
I'm going to go home to my knitting books and look up socks.
Knit On!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  05:22:02 AM  Show Profile
Jonni! I thought I was the only one with a never ending scarf!!! My daughter and I took a beginners class in Aug 05 and I have a lovely scarf...I just don't know how to end it! LOL! You have inspired me to march my fanny back to that store and have her show me what to do!
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  06:20:31 AM  Show Profile
Do it! It felt so liberating! I was well proud of myself for all of the scarves I was making, but I was running out of needles--and, sadly, I would buy new sized needles to go with new yarn, because I didn't know how to end the projects...silly girl.
It's really simple once you figure out--but there was no amount of looking at photos or reading step by steps to make my fingers figure it out!
Let me know how you fair, Bonnie..

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  10:21:23 AM  Show Profile
Jonni -- good for you! I thought about socks too but then when I saw all the needles I gave up that idea. I would need someone to sit down with me and show me. Then it would probably be ok. I'm actually thinking of knitting some purses to felt. I love the look of felted wool. But I think that takes multiple needles too. I'm going to have to find a yarn shop close by that has lessons.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Visit my blog! http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  11:57:05 AM  Show Profile
You go, girlfriend! Isn't it a wonderful feeling to actually finish a project? Good for you; now the sky's the limit! Nance
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2006 :  12:32:07 PM  Show Profile
Kay - felting doesn't require multiple needles, just a lot of washing! You can felt almost any wool handknit by knitting it up in a MUCH larger size than required and then running in through your washer (sometimes multiple runs) with HOT water. This makes the fibers felt together and the stitch definition disappears. You can felt anything on two needles, scarves, hats, mittens, you name it!

Check your library or book/yarn store for reference books. There are TONS of great and easy felting patterns out there!

Catherine

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I FINISHED my first scarf!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page