Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  6:01:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm sure you have gone over this before, but I was wondering about how you get your cast iron pans well seasoned and how you take care of them. I have some really nice ones and would like to use them more.

Can't wait to get your ideas! Cindy

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  6:20:28 PM  Show Profile
hey miz cindy .. i'm sure you'll get lots of ideas .. but just wanted to let you and all the farmgirls know that my upcoming MERCANTILE GATHERINGS MAGAZINE article is about "these things do please me well" .. and i feature some photos of some of the antique cast iron pans from my collection. Magazine will be out about February 2007 i think. If you haven't subscribed already .. dooooooo soooooooo! you will love this great magazine! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  8:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I put my pans in an oven on the self clean cycle. This usually removes all the old seasoning (you will have to wash them after the temp goes down). This is good if you want to get a "fresh start" with a garage sale find or some such or if a bad oil was used.

Then I usually oil mine with veggie oil like Crisco and put it in the oven. If you google "Seasoning Cast Iron Pan" you can get lots of different methods.
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  8:34:16 PM  Show Profile
As far as care...I dont ever put mine in the dishwasher and I dont leave them in the sink with water in them. Other than that, I wash them with warm soapy water rinse them off put them back on the stove to dry (or dry them off with a dishtowel). A little oil in the bottom keeps them always ready to use. Love my iron skillets and wouldnt trade them for the world.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  04:57:52 AM  Show Profile
What's with so many of the new ones having those little faint ridges on the surface??? Seems like those would be a problem getting clean. I had one that was my grandmother's, and it was so used it was smooth as a baby's bottom. I had to give it to my daughter though, because in the eighty years of cooking the bottom got a bit rounded, and it won't sit well on my glass top stove. *sniff*

That one was so well used, I'd just hand wash and air dry, and put it away. It never needed the seasoning renewed.
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  07:07:36 AM  Show Profile
Cindy,

After it is well cleaned, put a little oil in the bottom and use a paper towel to coat the inside really well. Make sure you get the oil up on the sides too. Then put it is a low oven, probably around 250 will do, and leave it in there for at least three or four hours. The first few times you use it, you may have to add some oil before putting in the food.

Never use detergent or scrubbies on it unless you really have to. After I use mine, I can usually just use a paper towel to wipe out the food. The more you use it, the less the food will stick. Now mine is just like a nonstick pan, I can cook eggs in it without any oil at all. It took a few years to get it like that but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  12:00:37 PM  Show Profile
Under this kitchen forum there is a 5 page topic Cast Iron Cooking w/ initial author Nicol. Hope that helps, there is alot of good info there, and even some if you have to do it over!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  2:11:20 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to say that cast iron is the BEST!!!!! It's super-cheap, heats completely evenly, can be moved directly from stovetop to oven, and with use (as noted here) becomes non-stick, without having to worry about your utensils scraping off an expensive coating into your food

The only drawback is that it takes forever to cool down. I LOVE CAST IRON!!!!

Anyway, the best way to season your cast iron is to use it lots and lots and lots. The more it is used the better it gets.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  6:08:46 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Thanks guys. My frying pan seems to be very well seasoned and I have used it some. The dutch oven and the muffin pan will need some work. Thanks SOOO much for the info. Sounds like with a bit of work, I will be in love with the pans!

Thanks again.....Cindy

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  8:26:24 PM  Show Profile
Cindy,
Have you learned any more than I already told you? Remember, I am old enough to be your mother and have been cooking since I was 8, which was 52 long years ago:)
What I haven't seen posted, but might be in the long thread on this forum, is that tomato based foods aren't best cooked in cast iron. Too much acid and it sometimes interacts with the iron and can give an off taste to the food. Also can be too harsh on the well seasoned surface you've taken so much time and care to attain.
When you get to where you love using cast iron, I'll add to your collection with the sizes you don't already have. I must have 2 or 3 of most sizes and can't resist if they're Wagner or Griswold at a good thrift shop price. I'll pass on Lodge any day unless it's really vintage, like the two cornstick pans I found last week. They've been used a lot and have that dark non stick patina.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Seasoning cast iron pans Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page