ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  08:25:28 AM  Show Profile
Ok...so I'm wanting to become a stay at home mom a year from now and had this thought and wanting to know if it makes sense or not. I was going to buy some Rubbermaid tubs and start stocking up on items that I know we'll need that won't go bad..such as paper towel, toilet paper, dish soap, laundry soap, baby wipes, cloth diapers (as I will start doing this FT once I'm a SAHM), pads, etc. Does this make sense to do or should I instead apply the money I would spend on such items towards our debt load?

HELP!!! I feel lost in trying to make this transition...and make it the best possible one I can for me and my family.

Thanks for any and all advice you can give,
Ashley

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  08:38:51 AM  Show Profile
Both - stock up some on things you will need, like diapers or such, but only when you find them on sale. Then concentrate on the debt.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  09:53:48 AM  Show Profile
You could alot a certain amount of money per month that you can afford to spend on stocking up, like 150 dollars. Then you won't go overboard, and can still manage the debt thing as well.

I am a change saving fanatic. I save silver change and pennies seperately, and you would be surprised how much I have(donated from DH) in my change jar! The change jar could be for something fun for you, like a magazine subscription, some unnecessary craft things, bubble bath, and a few good books.

You might think it's crazy, but a while back I was bored, and searched for tampons on eBay, and found them by the case!!! You might could look on eBay to find things in bulk.

Edited by - MsCwick on Dec 06 2006 09:55:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  11:17:13 AM  Show Profile
I think those are the right ideas. Stock up when something has a really good sale price and pay down the debt as much as possible. Sales are usually small savings in comparison to paying down debt and eliminating what you pay on interest.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  12:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
There is a reason that my MIL has cases of pop and roll upon roll of toilet paper. She stocks up whenever there are real deals. She also tucks money aside every month. She is getting me a food saver for Christmas so i can go the butcher and buy in bulk.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  1:56:01 PM  Show Profile
Apply it to you debt, you can stock up later.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  3:21:06 PM  Show Profile
I personally would apply it to the debt. Because if you dont have the debt you will be able to afford those other things. Good deals are always great, but there are always good deals. Just my idea.

lilpunkin

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

KitchenWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Kristina
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  3:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Click to see KitchenWitch's MSN Messenger address
Ashley:

If your debt carries interest, I would say focus on the debt first and buy other items as they appear on sale. Otherwise, the interest you incur on some credit cards, etc. might completely eat the savings you achieve elsewhere.

As to saving change, I keep a jar of our household change just for unexpected charitable donations. Every time a friend runs a marathon for charity, the nieghbors sell magazines, etc., I have the money to contribute (in addition to what I send out on our behalf anyway...). I collect as much as $30 a month in that jar!

Best of luck to you!

Kristina

Live deliberately, simply, abundantly. Remind your neighbors how to thrive.
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  3:57:48 PM  Show Profile
If you have set aside say $200 per month for debt, I would apply $175 to debt and $25 to save for stock ups when there is a really good sale. I would also examine any credit card interest and move any card with a high rate to a lower interest rate or no rate on introductory offers (just keep moving them when they expire - I've paid off several cards that way). Just get rid of as much non-fixed debt that you can. You could also see what you could sell on the side an apply all profit to debt. Just a few ideas. (I'm also known as "Queen of Cheap" in my family)

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetoatmealhill
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Daile
Rockford Michigan
11 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  9:35:05 PM  Show Profile
Definitely apply the majority to debt so you can stay at home as soon as possible, but sometimes things are such a great deal it really is foolish to pass them up. In that case grab them up, but only if they a very good deal, not just on sale. I also am big on the idea of selling stuff to get out of debt. I don't remember where I saw it on the site, but there is a link to instructions for sewing cloth diapers from old t-shirts somewhere that looked very useful.
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  07:31:20 AM  Show Profile
Here's another vote for paying off debt. Pay off those withthe highest interest rate first, then apply what you would have paid on that card to the next higest interst rate card. If you have had those card for awhile, don't close the account once it is paid off, it could lower your credit score. They look at the debt to available credit ratio as well as how long you've had your cards when determining your score. So, ideally you would want to keep a few good cards, jsut have them paid down. You could use one to buy these items when they are on sale and pay it off every month! I jsut read Suze Oramn's "Young, Fabulous, and Broke" It has a lot of really good advice on saving, getting out of debt, cutting back on spending, etc. I highly recommend it!!! Hope that helps, Megan
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  10:35:13 PM  Show Profile
I would have to agree with everyone else, pay off your debt. we watch everything and the debt can kill you good deals are everywhere take advantage of them when you need them. Get rid of the debt and that will be better for you when you have a new baby and no one wants your money.
Go to Top of Page

fallsfarms
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

USA
15 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2007 :  07:27:05 AM  Show Profile
I agree, you should pay off your debts as soon as you can.
When you go shopping and need a jar of peanut butter, or a box of crackers or whatever, buy two.
That might be a nice slow way to start stocking the family pantry.
~Joy
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2007 :  07:53:22 AM  Show Profile
I would apply as much as you can to the debt first, then stock up. Honestly, I think a lot of things like paper products can be done without. I have not purchased a single paper product, sans toilet paper in over a year! baby wipes can be made, cloths can be used instead of paper toweling, cloth napkins instead of paper, pads and dipes canboth be cloth, laundrty soap can be made SUUUUUPER cheaply instead of buying the standard stuff that is expensive, bad for you and bad for the environment, dishsoap is the only one I can HONESTLY see stocking up on....well, and toilet paper.

I vote debt first.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage: http://mysticwoodsfarm.com
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2007 :  08:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
That's wonderful that you want to be a sahm. I also vote on the debt first. Without debt you are free to do what YOU want with your money. I also agree with Tasha that most paper products are nothing more than an unnessary convenience. I'm in the process of making a big pile of cloth napkins, and I pick them up at yard sales, thrift stores. I bought a big package of bar towels to use to clean up spills. It's funny though, my kids seem to think they need a paper towel for everything. But since I bought a roll of Seventh Generation paper towels (which happens to be brown and unbleached) they haven't been so quick to use them! lol! I don't know if it is the color or what but I've had the same role now for at least a month and it is barely half gone. Congrats on your efforts to make things better for your family and at the same time better for our environment!!

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

brookerene
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Brooke
O'Neill NE
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2007 :  12:30:25 PM  Show Profile
You have a loot of great advice for her there. Debt shouldb be paid off first. Because if you are paying high interest it really counts against the savings. It's more costly to pay the interst. Also you and your husband should sit together, create a budget and go to Crown.org and follow their money map and other financial advice. They are great! But first make a budget for every thing, and make it a budget that is dependant on your husband's income only, live on that for a while and put any other moeny away in savings, and if you can make it then be a stay at home mom. And the other moms are right. You don't need paper towels, use rags etc.. Be creative and get advice like you are doing on this websight.
And I would mind learning how to make laudnry soap like on e of the other moms suggested....Hmmmm...
Brooke
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2007 :  3:10:37 PM  Show Profile
Pay the debt off first and cut up the card. Put the spare one in a place you won't be likely to grab it for impulse and start paying cash for everything. Keep a little notebook with you and write down anything you spend money on over 1.00. You will start to see where your money is being spent and if you can cut down. Then you will also see what money you really HAVE and what you float on credit.
"But everyone charges...." "Everyone will not show up to pay your mortgage..." Before you go to one salary make sure you can make it
with/ or without the debt. The average person who carries credit card debt NEVER pays off the principal, they are continuously paying the interest. You can also find a card with lower interest rate to roll your balance over but that usually has a set amount of time before you enter the higher rate zone again. If I were you at this point, I would consolidate all debt and PAY IT OFF.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Need Advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page