Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help! Stinky disposal Next Topic  

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  10:13:10 PM  Show Profile
I put some homemade coffee syrup leavings down the drain (onions, garlic, thyme and sugar) and now it REEKS to high heaven so accordingly so does the house.

have already tried baking soda and vinegar and grinding up an old grapefruit.

Thanks!

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  10:16:33 PM  Show Profile
Gosh..you have already used all my remedies...sometimes grinding up some ice cubes will get the gunk to be gone too. I don't have a garbage disposal in this house (which is fine..I have a bucket for the chickens to get the scraps) but I had one for years..I used lemons the most..but a grapefruit would have probably done the same. Good luck!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  05:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would try running through lots of hot soapy water. I think the sugar may have crystalized in your disposal and pipes and is not going to go away without a good flushing. After a really good dosage of hot soapy water (Several minutes worth at least!) I would try doing the vinegar, baking soda again and then another citrus fruit.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  09:24:38 AM  Show Profile
Lemons always worked for me, but my sister in law uses chopped celery! She swears it helps move anything along that might be stuck! Have you considered that maybe these "smells" are really still pieces of decomposing food that haven't cleared the trap? It's a pain to clean out, but who wants a garbage dump emoting from their disposal?!!! Good luck Holly and be careful of those fingers!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  09:31:10 AM  Show Profile
I ran hot water it through for 10 minutes than two boxes of baking soda and a gallon of finger, a tray of ice and lime juice (I'm out of actual fruit) and it seems to be much better. I already looked to see if anything was still there but didn't see anything.

Thanks ladies.

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  09:46:02 AM  Show Profile
A few years back, I fed my numerous houseplants fish emulsion...bad mistake. They may have loved it, but the house smelled like fish...really bad. Tried all the air fresheners, deodorizers, etc and none worked. Finally read somewhere to set out a bowl of bleach and it worked. Warning; put it someplace that it won't be mistaken for water by others or pets. Also, it killed my container of sourdough starter, so remove or tightly cover anything of that sort. A lady friend in Canada sent me back some of the starter I had sent her, so was luckily able to get it going again.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  09:50:12 AM  Show Profile
Holly! A gallon of finger? I sure hope not! I 'll assume that was vinegar! Maybe just put a pan on the stove of water cinnamon and cloves to "re-scent" the premises. That was my Mom's trick after stinky fish dinners!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  11:43:43 AM  Show Profile
oops yes Vinegar! and it was homemade cough syrup.

Smells fine now.......will prob still do the spiced water though just cause I love it!

By the By I tried bleach last night as well to no avail

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Dec 06 2006 11:44:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  11:49:44 AM  Show Profile
I didn't want to say anything but that did seem like mighty strange coffee! I figured if you've got a gallon of fingers around, well you might just like garlic coffee! Have a great week Holly!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  11:52:28 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the laugh........I was so tired when I posted last night and this morning I wasn't fully awake just wanted that smell gone.

Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  1:04:52 PM  Show Profile
Oranges work great. Just cut up an orange, or just put the peel in there and it will be fine.

lilpunkin

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  09:23:33 AM  Show Profile
Just for future reference; the bowl of bleach remedy does not work immediately, like spraying Lysol. I think it took the better part of a day to eradicate the fish emulsion odor. And if anyone tries it, please put it where kids and cats or other animals can not get at it
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  09:34:33 AM  Show Profile
I use Bio-Kleen Bac Out. It has enzymes in it and works great for the disposal. Was also great when puppy was being house trained. You just pour it over the area and let it sit and then some back later and mop it up. Great Stuff!!!!!

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help! Stinky disposal Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page