Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 Home Made Hot Coco recipe.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Home Made Hot Coco recipe..... Next Topic  

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  02:16:44 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, it is 5:13 am , 23 degrees and I am freezing.. I have piled extra blankets on my bed, turned the Heat up and am still cold..I have been up all night, can not get warm...I think some Home Made Hot Coco would help....Anyone got a good recipe to share..????

newheart

Love of friends and family makes the world go round..and always a little Chocolate.

margie

Edited by - newheart on Dec 05 2006 02:17:36 AM

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  03:53:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
I cannot help with a recipe, but my suggestion for warmth in addition to that would be, a hot water bottle or two, one put in under the covers at the foot of the bed a bit prior to bedtime and then if possible another one that you could use wrapped and higher up in the bed. Also, years ago someone told me that if a person wears to many layers of p.j.'s etc. to get warm, that it actually keeps your body warmth to close to you and the blankets cannot capture it and hold it around you as well.
Wishing you warmth and comfy sleep,
peapodjane
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  09:02:19 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
unfortunately for my waistline, i think any time is a good time for hot chocolate. i am afraid i just use the convenient package stuff but in my heart i know the homemade is the best. ......think ill go have some hot chocolate.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  09:16:00 AM  Show Profile
WHOLE MILK AND HERSHEYS CHOC. SYRUP WARMED UP.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  09:17:17 AM  Show Profile
BUT IN A CUP, NOT A COVERED DISH MARGIE.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  09:18:35 AM  Show Profile
Margie- Maybe it's an East Coast acclimation thing, since it has been warm here up until this past weekend, I've been freezing too!

This is what my Mom used to make and I still do:

Fill a sauce pan with milk of your choice (Whole will be extra creamy). Begin to warm slowly on low heat and stir in cocoa powder (Ghiaredelli) until desired chocolate brown is achieved ( we like about 1 cup), continue on low heat and add sweetener (I use sugar). Stir mixture until well blended, but do not boil. Remove from heat and stir in 1-2 teaspoons of real vanilla extract. (1 teaspoon Orange, Maple or Almond extract can also be added seperately for flavor). Pour into big mugs and top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate. On snow days she would put a piece of Hershey's choc.bar in the bottom of the mug before filling. UMMMMMMMM!
And don't forget to add a candy cane for a Christmas version!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

KitchenWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Kristina
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  09:28:39 AM  Show Profile  Click to see KitchenWitch's MSN Messenger address
If you're looking for something to really keep you warm, I'd offer the following suggestions:

Hot milk and honey. This was my grandmother's way to get me warm (and to sleep!) on her farm. Whole milk and raw honey work best. The heat activates the tryptophan in the milk, which helps make you sleepy. (Tryptophan is the stuff in turkey that makes you pass out on Thanksgiving, too.) =)

As for cocoa, I am a whole milk, cocoa powder, and raw sugar fan myself. Still, nothing beats a cup of whole milk with Ibarra hot cocoa mix if you're in the mood to "cheat". It has a hint of cinnamon for a more Mexican hot cocoa feel. Yum.

Anything with warm spices works, too. Try adding cinnamon or ginger to any hot drink; both will warm you up from the core and help keep you warm through the night.

Live deliberately, simply, abundantly. Remind your neighbors how to thrive.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  12:14:20 PM  Show Profile
I use the Swiss Miss most of the time but when I make hot cocoa from scratch I follow the recipe on the back of the cocoa box.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Visit my blog! http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  09:17:17 AM  Show Profile
I am making homemade hot cocoa mix for Christmas gifts. you use nesquick powder, powdered sugar, coffee mate powder, and powdered milk. I dont have all the measurements in front of me but I can post them later. You can also add mini morsels or crushed peppermint. YUMMY!

lilpunkin

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  10:00:24 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
You can take the above recipe and make it cappucino- add to it instant coffee and mini marshmellows and you have a great inexpensive cappucino.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

KitchenWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Kristina
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  10:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Click to see KitchenWitch's MSN Messenger address
I would love to have that recipe, lilpunkin, as it would be great as a take-along camping treat, too!

Live deliberately, simply, abundantly. Remind your neighbors how to thrive.
Go to Top of Page
  **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Home Made Hot Coco recipe..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page