Page: of 2

goodmojo
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Yarmouth MA
11 Posts

Posted - May 22 2005 :  10:27:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls!

I was wondering if anyone else uses Dr. Bronner's Castille Peppermint soap for anything? I have been using it for about 20 years or so and use it for almost anything - general cleanup,
laundry, shampoo, you could even brush your teeth with it, but that idea has never appealed to me! My latest favorite is the Lavender,
it's very lightly scented and it organic. I love it, especially as a shampoo.

Are there any other organic soap type cleansers that have an all around purpose that you know of?

Happy Farming!
goodmojo

I came to this planet for the french roast, and the chocolate, of course.....

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - May 22 2005 :  10:53:38 AM  Show Profile
Bronner's is THE classic.........have you ever sat down and read the whole label? Wow! Alot of philosophy for a plain and simple soap!
The little bottles really come in handy on a camping trip. I especially like the lavender too.
The question that I always wonder is what makes castille soap castille soap?
By the looks of the ingredients, It is made with saponified oils (lye and oil)
but wondering about the meaning of castille, I suppose.Does anyone know?

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 22 2005 :  10:56:39 AM  Show Profile
Goodmojo, Yes I have used Dr.Bronner's peppermint soap! I first tried it as a college student 30 years (yikes its been THAT long) ago. I used it for a facial cleanser and remember it left the skin very soft and clean. I remember all the uses and ancedotes printed on the label. I have a hard time finding it now... Our health food stores don't carry it where I live...but I still remember that peppermint fragrance.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 22 2005 :  10:59:35 AM  Show Profile
I also liked Pears soaps...They were along the same line as the Castille soaps. It may have been made with olive oil. Left my skin very refreshed and it was very gentle.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 22 2005 :  1:01:35 PM  Show Profile
We use Dr Bronner's peppermint as our body wash soap all summer. It leaves you smooth, clean and smelling great but the bugs don't like it! It's very refreshing after a hot, sticky day in the sun or garden! Jenny ,if you can't find it closer to you, I can always send you some, the big bottle lasts forever and we dilute it. It would be no trouble, let me know... any one who can't find it.
I don't know what castille is but there is a brand called "Kirk's Castille" soap that comes in bars that my husband loves in the winter
his skin gets so dry from being in and out all the time. We found it at Cracker barrel of all places for .95 a bar. Beats the stuff you buy at the market!I appreciate nice handmade soap and am happy to use it but i doubt it will be a skill I take up anytime soon. So you soap makers have another customer but my guys don't like soap with "nuts and berries" in it!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - May 22 2005 :  1:45:35 PM  Show Profile
Castille soap is 100% olive oil. If it contains other oils or fats it is not castille.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 22 2005 :  7:25:00 PM  Show Profile
I've never tried it. I keep looking for cleaners without chemicals. I keep looking for everything without chemicals. I will have to try it. Michele
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  2:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I know that Target carries Dr. Bronner's. I might be worth the trip if you really like it. You could even try ordering it online. Vermont Soapworks carries something very similiar www.vermonsoap.com. I have used it and it is nice.
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  6:33:03 PM  Show Profile
I have tried Dr. Bonners soap (peppermint) which our local health food store carries. I found that it was too irritating on my face (must have been the peppermint oil), but it's OK for the rest of my body. I don't use it anymore (tried Kirk's castile soap also), I guess that as I age I need a soap which doesn't strip my natural oils. I have used an all natural, goat milk soap but it's hard to find. Right now I use baby soap or Dove.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - May 24 2005 :  9:03:13 PM  Show Profile
I use the Dr. Bronners, the Peppermint, Almond and Baby Gentle and have to agree they're great. I hadn't seen the Lavender one and recently I was told that there was now a Tea Tree one too.

I use them mainly as a shampoo base and occasionally as a body soap.

But once in while the odd thing happens,
Once in a while the dream comes true,
And the whole pattern of life is altered,
Once in a while the moon turns blue.
Auden
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2005 :  6:57:46 PM  Show Profile
[The question that I always wonder is what makes castille soap castille soap?
By the looks of the ingredients, It is made with saponified oils (lye and oil)
but wondering about the meaning of castille, I suppose.Does anyone know?

Traditionally, castille soap is made with only Olive oil as the fat part. The lye is used in all soap to make it "soap" in the saponification process.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2005 :  7:32:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jana! Here is a link I found that explains the history of the soap. http://www.adamastorshire.co.za./chronicler/stormtidings/archive/as/soap.html

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  4:36:14 PM  Show Profile
I was always afraid to use it, the bottles have all those funky warnings?! Ease my mind girls!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  5:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Kim, Do you mean the Dr. Bronner's soap? It kinda freaked me out when I first read some of that stuff he printed on the label, so I see what you mean. How does the cosmic universe have anything to do with soap??? It's just a lot of fluff. Or it was back in 70's when I read that stuff. His soap IS good and perfectly safe, just has a wierd label.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  5:20:04 PM  Show Profile
Yep! Dr.Bonner's. Something about not getting it in your eyes and to water water water down! I'll try it now.

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2005 :  5:27:09 PM  Show Profile
Kim, You probably shouldn't get it in your eyes...but the strange thing is he says you can brush teeth with it. I won't do that. Some people use it for shampoo too.

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2005 :  3:22:53 PM  Show Profile
I'll try it then! They have Peppermint at Trader Joe's but I will go to the health food place and look for lavender. I've tried some of Susan's soaps (Dahlem's) and they are beautiful!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  10:41:33 PM  Show Profile
We used to use Castille soap to clean our leather horse bridles and saddles. I remember they way it made my hands feel after a winter day spent cleaning tack. Hmmmmm, might have to look into this as my hands have been looking and feeling all of my 39.9 years (I'll be 40 in August) Hadn't thought of it until reading this thread. Thanks farmgirls!!!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  11:21:17 AM  Show Profile
Dr. Bronner's has a website that you can order from. It is www.drbronner.com. I love love love the lavender soap. I use it for everything -- especially cleaning. It's so nice to know that my home is getting clean without having to use chemicals. I made a safe insect spray from it that really works. You take 1 quart of water, 5 tbsp of Dr. Bronner's lavender soap, and 2 drops of lavender essential oil. You can also use the peppermint soap with citrus oil to do the same thing. The peppermint with citrus is also great for spraying aphids, white flies, etc on plants.

Proud Member of Farmgirls of North Clark County
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  3:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Can you use Dr. Bronners for dish soap? Anyone ever done so?

Valerie
Alaska Girl all the Way

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  3:58:28 PM  Show Profile
I've used the peppermint for camping dish soap, and it worked really well. I've not used it regularly at home, however, but after the reminder, I just might start!

I love the smell of lavender - I think I might try that one around the house, too.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2006 :  7:13:34 PM  Show Profile
I love the peppermint, lavender and the almond one!! The price seems to be fairly consistent everyplace I see it. I've seriously thought about buying the gallon jug of peppermint and using it to do around the hous cleaning.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  08:27:25 AM  Show Profile
I love Dr. B's soaps, the liquid and the bar. I also really like the Salsuds cleaner, it has a nice pine clean smell.

The label is a little crazy, but it does get folks attention!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2006 :  6:08:09 PM  Show Profile
Generally where is the Salsuds in stores? In my store here they sell the Dr. B soaps but the Salsuds isn't by those. If they have it would it be by the soaps or in the regular cleaning section? I really want to try it as I love the smell of pine-sol but I'm trying to stay away from nasty commercial stuff as much as possible.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  07:07:20 AM  Show Profile
I have friends who use Dr. Bronners all the time. I didn't know it came in flavors (does that word apply to soap?) other than peppermint. I would love to use it myself, but somehow I never seem to have $35 on hand when I need soap. I know it's probably a good deal when you work it out, but that's half my weekly grocery budget!

Plus, my husband is totally freaked out by the label. He feels like he'd be joining some kind of cult if we started buying it. I know it's just "fluff" as someone said earlier, and I find it entertaining, but that's the way he feels about it...Maybe someday, when I have the cash in hand to make the investment, I'll just tell him how it's going to be.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  07:09:05 AM  Show Profile
Hey, I forgot to ask...Isn't olive oil soap what you want to use for washing wool (I mean for spinning, not your sweaters)? Any spinners use Dr. Bronners for this?

Amie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Castille Soap? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page