texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2015 :  12:08:47 PM  Show Profile
I love Christmas cards. I still send them. I am an ol'fashioned girl when it comes to them. I still pick out box cards, and do include a photo, but taped to the inside flap. I hand sign them and address each by hand. It takes lots of extra time, but I love that personal touch. I am not crazy about the photo cards with just a pre-printed message. They seem so impersonal, but better than none and I do like to see photos of friends and their families. I detest "email cards" when sent in the place of the "real thing", at least for the holidays.

What do you think?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2015 :  12:13:21 PM  Show Profile
My personal preference are the traditional cards as well. I've always just slipped in a photo of DS and although I've never thought of taping it in place I probably wouldn't because I've seen his photos up on too many refrigerators to want to make them peel off the tape! :)

The photo cards are ok - but they are expensive - and they also don't allow for you to handwrite a message which I prefer to do - even if it is just a few lines.

I do like getting photos either as or with my cards. I use my smartphone to take pictures of those in the photos and use a cropped image as the picture for everyone's Contacts :) It's nice to see a face pop up when they call or text instead of just a number.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2015 :  12:48:03 PM  Show Profile
I sent traditional cards last year and enjoyed doing so but I am skipping cards this year.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2015 :  1:44:54 PM  Show Profile
I send traditional cards too in the snail mail. I try to use a photo of us and have it made into a folded card. I like writing little personal notes to each person/family and include my son's current grade school picture with it. My husband's family is Muslim so I don't get any cards in return from them in the mail, but they do email us winter e-cards so I appreciate their acknowledging our cards. The rest of the people I send to usually reciprocate with a traditional card in return, though I noticed our bachelor friends aren't into sending them.

Dawn in IL

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on Nov 12 2015 07:42:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2015 :  4:50:15 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, I love traditional snail mail cards too. It is such fun to get cards and I display them in a holder during the holidays. (Nicole, if you send me your addy, you'll get one from me.)

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6951 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6951 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2015 :  7:45:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh I agree. I love sending Christmas cards the old-fashioned way. It also seems to take away the personalization and intimacy when people send them electronically. It also seems that many just don’t have time for cards anymore. I can’t believe how few of cards I receive at Christmas time anymore. I enjoy reading up on others and seeing updated pictures of their families. That is why I signed up for the Christmas card swap. I wanted to be able to share some old-fashioned cards with my fellow farm girls and share some real Christmas spirit!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2015 :  5:31:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls! I'm completely with you! I absolutely love sending out old-fashioned Christmas cards with personal notes. As a matter of fact, when we were very young, I would send out over 120 cards every year with personal letters to everyone on the list! But as time went on, and the demands of life called, I found year after year it became harder and harder to even send out cards, let alone the personal letters. After a while, we ended up just sending gifts to our parents, and celebrating the season in person by visiting the people who lived near. We started making personal phone calls from Christmas Eve through New Years to everyone else, and that was really nice in its own right. The only thing was, however, that there was no personal memento attached - you know, a keepsake you could hold onto and read over and over again; something to cherish as the years went by. Nowadays, with many of our family and friends, everything is done through email, it seems - or even texts! It's nice to at least know you're remembered and thought of fondly during the holiday season, but you're right - the personal cards, there is nothing like them. There is just something special about them - they are a gift in themselves. This year I started making homemade cards, and hope I can make enough of them to send to everyone on our card list. But, just in case, I want you all to know how precious and important you are to me, and I wish you all many, many blessings and, of course, the Merriest of Christmases ever! Much love - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  08:04:59 AM  Show Profile
I like getting Christmas cards in the mail but then again I like getting cards of any kind. Mail, email or even a text saying Happy Birthday or whatever. At least someone is thinking of me and taking the time whether large or small to do something.
MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13627 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13627 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  11:28:03 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I enjoy Christmas cards a lot, as does my hubby! We also like the letters, but only if they are short! Some people send us pages and pages . . . and got into more than we really want to know. I don't send pics because it's just hubby and me. I like the photo cards only if they are pics of the people who send them. But sometimes they aren't even personally signed and that I don't like much!

In years past I have always sent cards, but I'm thinking of skipping it this year. If it doesn't get done by Thanksgiving it won't be done.
But that's okay!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  5:20:47 PM  Show Profile
I send cards as well. Homemade ones. For along time now I have been taking a picture of the farm, the animals, or old tractor, and making my own cards. I did do family ones when the boys were younger. It is challenging to find a different picture each year. My best one was of my milk cow Summer. It was snowing and I took her picture. What I did not notice till later that she had her tongue sticking out, licking her nose. Best picture ever as it looked like she was catching snow flakes on her tongue.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  07:16:47 AM  Show Profile
Ladies,

I am so glad to see so many others still appreciate "real" mail, both the sending and receiving parts of it. It is a personal connection, which is so lacking these days.

Regarding the preprinted newsletters, I have a friend who came up with the most charming solution: it is written by the dog. He talks about how his pack went to Mexico on vacation and he got to stay at sleep-away camp, etc.

Who has started addressing envelopes this early? Doing them in little batches makes it soon much easier-
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3933 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3933 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2015 :  12:08:03 PM  Show Profile
I enjoy sending Christmas cards. I have four categories: 1) Sign and Send. These people do not need a private message. 2) Sign and Line. One line of message and not too original at that. 3) Sign and Fine. Write 2 or 3 sentences thanking the person for something over the past year. 4) Sign and opine. Write a letter that will fit on the inside of the cover and maybe on the back of the card. I include some news of happiness and small tragedy but nothing overwhelming. I will enclose one of my little folded paper stars in most of them but no pictures. I DISLIKE CHRISTMAS NEWSLETTERS. So much blah, blah, blah. I would read one from a pet though.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.

Edited by - churunga on Nov 14 2015 12:10:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  7:10:28 PM  Show Profile
LOL about the Christmas letters. I have an old friend who shocks me with what she puts in her Christmas letter. Really "Too Much Information", like what medications her poor husband is on. Poor guy. I still haven't figured out what that has to do with Christmas...

Anyway this year I splurged on my cards. I couldn't help it - I found the most beautiful vintage inspired cards. They were still two-thirds less than what I saw online for vintage inspired cards, and I had a coupon. ;) Still, they are a few dollars more per box than I usually spend, but I can't wait to send them out!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Your opinion on Christmas cards Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic