MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  6:06:54 PM  Show Profile
I moved some on my electric fencing and started getting an area ready to make some raised beds for next year. I have plenty manure, and 'garden garbage' to add to them before I plant!! My dad has had a garden my whole life, and now it's finally my turn! I'm so excited!

[size=1]Love is to the heart what summer is to the farmer's year. It brings to harvest all the lovliest flowers of the soul. --Billy Graham[/size=1

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  6:37:27 PM  Show Profile
Cristine -- you're going to love raised beds. I won't garden in anything else -- except for my pumpkin patch. Got my first seed catalog the other day. The list is started already!

Handmade delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Visit my blog! http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  7:21:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh, that is so exciting. I would love a huge area with nothing but raised beds. I wanted to ask...how far away are you from Va. Beach? We are moving back there the end of next summer.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  07:42:03 AM  Show Profile
we're going to do 'lasagne' layering gardens next year too! we don't have critters .. so i have to find a farm (can HORSE manure be used???) we are getting neighbors up over the hill that are bringing FOUR horses with them .. and would probably love it if we shovelled it and brought it home!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  08:09:29 AM  Show Profile
Raised bed are great. Only use well aged horse manure. I use raised beds for my herb garden and after I threw my old pumpkins on the compost pile last year, this year I had a great crop of pumpkins right beside the compost pile. It cracked me up.

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  2:19:13 PM  Show Profile
The manure I will be using is from last year, and if I need a bit more, what is coming out of the barn now will be about 6 months old by the time I need it. Over the summer I keep a little pail with a top on the counter for what I call 'garden garbage' It's great in the summer b/c it keeps the fruit flies from getting into the trash can, but now I have a great place to dump my garden garbage bucket all winter too!!!

I am about 3.5 hours from VA Beach.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  11:14:54 PM  Show Profile
Lasagna gardening works great in raised beds. Get the books to read if you don't have them. It is amazing how easy it is. Love square foot gardening too.

Handmade delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Visit my blog! http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2006 :  4:33:15 PM  Show Profile
I think I am going to use a combination of the lasagna/square foot gardening myself next year - along with the "regular" ol' rows-in-the-dirt method. I'm excited to try some new things, and it sounds like the raised beds are the way to go. Has anyone tried the "vertical" aspect (trellises) of the square foot gardening?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Raised beds next year!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page