Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Herbal Remedies for Sore Throat Etc
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Herbal Remedies for Sore Throat Etc Next Topic  

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  3:38:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals ~ what do you recommend for sore throats, upper respiratory junk lol - Has anyone made any syrups with raspberries? I have been reading tons of remedies for these kinds of things and am curious what you use at your house.

Blessed Be!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  7:16:04 PM  Show Profile
I've got a bad sore throat so I'd like to hear some remedies too. Except I'm allergic to Raspberries so remedies without these would be appreciated too.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  7:23:02 PM  Show Profile
I have a bit of a sore throat myself, and always revert to the old stand-bys - fresh lemon juice sweetened with honey, heated up and taken by the spoonful, and sucking on a clove or two if it gets really painful. The clove thing is good for any mouth/throat/tooth aches. Also, gargling with warm salt water, as distasteful as it sounds, really helps. And, of course, drinking TONS of water...

I sure hope we ALL feel great very, very soon. Sore throats are so yucky.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  09:57:53 AM  Show Profile
I am with Libbie with the Honey and Lemon juice for the sore throat. The salt water gargle is good too. Also a saline nose spray works well also for stuffy nose.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  10:51:59 PM  Show Profile
Every time the east winds blow I get allergies and a sore throat that is a killer. If I don't jump on it fast it turns into a full blown infection, then I'm on antibiotics. I swear by the hot lemon honey water. Feels great going down. I try to stay away from hot tea because the tannins in tea irriate my throat and send me into a coughing fit. And of course any type of drink with sugar in it only slows down the healing process.

A pharmysist friend told me that what ever you decide to do keep your throat moist all the time. That way the bacteria that can develop into a more serious throat infection can't take hold.

Hope you feel better

Jenn
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2006 :  5:33:16 PM  Show Profile
I didn't know that about keeping your throat moist, but I DID notice that my throat feels a LOT worse in the mornings if I forget to fill the kettle on the woodstove at night. Something that helps in that regard is to put a couple of drops of eucalyptus and lavender essential oils in the kettle. Not only does it smell wonderful, but it really helps with congestion.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2006 :  8:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
For the upper respitory problems, Origano oil or colloidal silver will kill the bacteria. While euchinaca will help, it does not seem as efficient. To keep from getting these problems in general, try drinking a cup of garlic tea every morning. Feel better soon.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  2:44:57 PM  Show Profile
I keep cough lozenges on hand almost all year long for allergy symptoms; the honey/lemon flavor, following the common theme of keeping your throat moist. DH swears by the saline mist bottles to keep his troublesome sinuses open, and he uses the salt water treatment at the first sign of sore throat.

Kathy, Can you double up on the lemon balm tincture for sore throats? My herb books says it is good for catarrh and congestion, but it does feel good goin' down, in a teaspoon of honey or straight from the eyedropper under the tongue, or at the back of the mouth.

I am making anything I possibly can with blackberries that I picked this past summer. Jam, jelly, pancake syrup, and cordial! 9A la Anne of Green Gables and her little drunken tea party with Diana). I have a couple of batches of blackberry cordial (vodka, berries and sugar) - want some?

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Dec 04 2006 2:47:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2006 :  2:54:15 PM  Show Profile
This was a recent post on the uses for lemon balm ...

"Lemon balm tea is wonderful for sore throats too.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com"

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  2:28:36 PM  Show Profile
When I have a sore throat I gargle with pepper sauce. It will burn for a minute but it works. The pepper sauce is the kind i make, you know, with peppers and vinegar then can it. It's the stuff I pour over my greens with.
Laura
3 barrels, 2 hearts, 1 passion
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  6:37:46 PM  Show Profile
honey, honey and more honey. it's a natural antibiotic but you can't give it to kids.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  7:10:44 PM  Show Profile
Gargle with salt water 2-3 times a day. I gargle with this even when my throats fine. It seems to keep colds and such away and my dentist said it is the best for the health of your gums & mouth.
There is a really good tea called throat coat, that I think works well. It has the ingredients listed if you wanted to try to make your own like blend.
http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/?id=28&pid=75

I have also used the honey, lemon warm water.

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  7:49:27 PM  Show Profile
O. K. ladies. This is an old grandpa remedy, but anyone who ever used it NEVER had to go to the doctor with their cough/sore throat. It is the honey, the lemon, and straight whiskey of whatever kind you have. I was always shocked that this was the ingredient, but if you look at cough meds today, alot of them contain alcohol. I honestly don't know the proportions, because my grandpa died of cancer before anyone could get the recipe from him. I believe there was probably more whiskey than honey and lemon, and that the honey and lemon were probably equal.

Val
Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2006 :  11:29:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi! It's me, again. I've been looking at old threads/posts again, and was looking on one of the recommended websites. It had several cough/uri remedies.

www.naturalfamilyonline.com

It was discussed under the heading: natural cough remedies.

Val
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  07:54:51 AM  Show Profile
Yuck, I've got "the worst" sore throat, too. I'm sorry so many of you also have it, but really appreciate the information.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Herbal Remedies for Sore Throat Etc Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page