Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 embroidered dinner napkins
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic embroidered dinner napkins Next Topic  

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  12:27:16 PM  Show Profile
Okay, someone tell me about them. What kind of napkins should I get- what's the easiest to embroider on?

Kim in NC

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  12:38:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness...I JuST bought a four back at Wal-mart in the kitchen department. They are nice looking 55% cotton/45% polyester. Very easy to stitch on. They may not be the most economical, but I am not close to a craft store and I really really wanted to do some napkins. When I get one finished I'll post a picture.
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  12:52:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Bonnie! I was just wandering around the vintage linens in ebay and noticed all the embroidered napkins. I realized that I can embroider my own as well.

I look forward to seeing your pics!

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  1:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Kim
I was lucky enough to find a whole bunch of really nice linen dinner napkins at a garage sale last year, I have been having fun embroidering them. You can see them on my blog, just keep scrolling down when you go on my blog and you will see them.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  5:32:25 PM  Show Profile
You can also make your own napkins with leftover fabric from other crafts. Sometimes I buy a yard or two of a plain color and I make them out of that too. That is really very cheap and you can get the fabric at Walmart. If you have a serger, you can use a rolled hem on the edge. If not, just make a regular hem like you would on any other thing you make. It's soooo easy! XXOO Sheryl
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  7:38:06 PM  Show Profile
Kim, I would look at your local thrift shops. I have found GREAT deals and they turn out just fine. The last ones I did were cream with red strips around the edges and I stitched cute little cherries in the corners. I think they were 69 cents each. I love them! Cindy

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  9:24:40 PM  Show Profile
I order mine from www.allaboutblanks.com They have wonderful napkins and all kinds of thing to stitch. I am waiting on a towel order to come.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  03:30:24 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth,
Thanks for that site! Thats a keeper!
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  08:38:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Probably any bulk linen supply place would have a great value on the really nice high quality table napkins too (if you plan on making a lot)
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2006 :  5:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Quilts and More latest winter 2006 issue had some fun embroidery designs for the holidays that can be used on napkins or hand towels or tea towels. I found 6 cotton napkins at a thrift store and embroidered these designs on the corners. My problem was they shrunk so much in the wash. Bummer. At least I washed first so the embroidery still looks cute, just more like tea time napkins than dinner napkins.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  04:53:23 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kim!
I managed to get one napkin finished over the last weeks! My next one is a carrot! Have you started any?
Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  06:17:36 AM  Show Profile
I donated my winter themes embroidered napkins to the boxes we made up for shut ins. Here is another find, though. My husband was hunting on friend's land. There is a really old farmhouse there, and inside the farmhouse is a TRUNK of old cloth sugar and flour sacks (100# sacks, white with a print of the manufactureer on the front).

So, I am planning on washing them up and cutting to size tea towels and napkins to embroider over the year. I need sizes for dinner napkins and tea towels. Any suggestions?

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  06:20:29 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie, beautiful job o nyour napkins. It is lovely. Are you making a set?

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  06:30:30 AM  Show Profile
Way to go on the napkins Bonnie, I think everyone is going embroidery crazy. I know its easy to do, I can't stop.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  06:31:28 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie- I haven't even started! Isn't that horrible! The closer I get to Christmas, the farther behind I get in projects! I still plan on doing some though! Yours looks great- thanks for showing it!

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  06:57:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Carolinagirl--
I worked at Macy's a few years back, in the Homestore (so much fun!) and I picked up on clearance (.50 a pack) 12 white cotton dinner napkins (9 packs) and 12 ecru dinner napkins (5 packs). They're 100% cotton, so there is some ironing involved, but when finished, they look crisp and beautiful.
I've done a number of things--I don't have a machine, and do everything by hand, so it takes awhile.
Last summer, I embroidered initials for friends who married. Their last name is Zlatkin, and I wanted a pretty Z, so I found a great stencil, traced the Z in pencil and did it by hand in a loden green that matched the leaf pattern in their china. A year later, after much use (she's a poetry professor and has many get togethers), they still look good. I've also done a set of birds for my mother--Dover books makes these great little iron on books and such (found mine at Cracker Barrell) and I ironed on the outline of the birds, picked the colors and hand embroidered dinner napkins for her. It took some time, but the end result was well worth it!
If you have homestores like TJ Maxx, Homegoods, Target, etc...check their holiday linens--usually there are packs of plain napkins and you can get really good deals on them just after thanksgiving and before Christmas. That's when I found mine at Macys--I honestly have no idea why they were .50 but what a find!!!!!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic embroidered dinner napkins Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page