Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Need help with recovering pickup seat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Need help with recovering pickup seat Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  07:53:22 AM  Show Profile
My hubby and I are working on redoing a 1954 Chevy pickup. I am going to recover the seat myself. I know I can do it, but want a video, book, etc to show me how to do the layering part of the burlap, cotton batting, etc. I am also wanting to know if anyone has done this process cheaply. I am into recycling and not spending a lot of money on my project. The challenge of being creative is the most fun. I did buy some fake saddle brown leather for the seat. I want to keep the feeling of the pickup original. I can hardly wait. The guys are cutting out rusty metal pieces and replacing them as we speak. The poor pickup looks a bit fragmented currently, but will be better soon. I can hardly wait to get it back together and make it a feminine Rat Rod. Lots of originality will go into this one. Love the process. I am even going to stencil on the ceiling and dashboard.

Edited by - Cozynana on Aug 26 2015 07:54:35 AM

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2015 :  7:49:57 PM  Show Profile
Try YouTube.....there is a video for everything on there.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

My Avon

www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  03:38:19 AM  Show Profile
Sherone, isn't that the truth. I watch lots of videos. I have watched a couple of videos on do a seat. They are not telling me what I want to know. Thanks for the suggestion.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  08:06:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kem,
I had an upholstery shop years ago so I'm going to suggest looking into upholstery (living room furniture) videos. It's the same concept other than maybe some rivets around the base of the seat and bottom of back for weaving string back and forth to tighten it down and also for removing to clean. Many years ago, I made seat covers for my 1953 Ford pickup using old army blankets, long before YouTube:)

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7488 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7488 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2015 :  08:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
This is all great information! I'm keeping an eye on this thread - I've been looking for an older truck for my farm and my boyfriend is giving me one of his Dodge Little Red Trucks that needs fixing up. (He has 4 and they all need fixing up in various stages of disrepair.) It needs transmission work, general minor body work, painting, and then the replacement of all the wood parts and the interior. I can't wait to get started.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  7:01:38 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hey Kem,
How it is going with this project? Hope it's going good!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2015 :  05:43:59 AM  Show Profile
The pickup is coming along. It is stripped to the bones and working from the ground up. My son and our hired hand are currently cutting out the rust areas and are replacing with recycled parts of another pickup that is the same year we bought just for this purpose. Also bought some new corner parts to replace rotted metal corners. Here is a picture of my baby in progress. Not very pretty, but will nice when it is done. They guys have torn tractors down and put it back together, they can do this pickup. This looks really rough, but coming together very well. Will post pictures are we go along.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2015 :  05:47:15 AM  Show Profile
Forgot to add that I have lost the fabric for my seat for the pickup. It is driving me crazy, it is in my house and I can't find it. I have everything to do the seat except the fake leather fabric. Hope I find it soon, or I am buying more.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  9:42:56 PM  Show Profile
"Of all the things I miss the most,,, I think it is my mind!"

lol!
hope you find the fabric soon...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  04:23:38 AM  Show Profile
LOL, I would have to agree. I miss my mind too!!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Need help with recovering pickup seat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page