Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 And These Things Do Please Me Well ..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic And These Things Do Please Me Well .. Next Topic
Page: of 3

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  7:37:21 PM  Show Profile
that's the title of my Winter 2007 Mercantile Gatherings Magazine article which will be out sometime in January or February. It's about the "things" that make our heart smile. Our 'collections' that are dear to us as we live life and add these things to our life.

What is ONE thing that you 'collect' (it has to be a 'thing' .. like books, baskets, quilts, photos, etc. etc.) that 'pleases you well'? And why?

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  7:52:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh, boy just one????

Vintage aprons has to be it then. I started off with a few that I inherited from my grandmother Florence. They stayed in the linen closet all wrapped up in tissue paper for years. And then I quit working in the outside world to stay home with my boys. I started really cooking, really cleaning, etc. And somehow I felt more connected to both of my grandmothers and the other women who have gone before me doing the same tasks. I got one of them out and started to wear it as a funny little thing with the hubby when he came home from work. But I found out really quickly how useful they really are. I made myself a gardening apron and then started collecting them from thrift stores, ebay, swaps, etc. I love them because each one has a story to tell and imagining the woman who wore it last makes my heart smile.

I also collect sterling silver napkin rings, vintage kids books, vintage kids craft books, buttons...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  7:57:21 PM  Show Profile
Has to be baskets..I have always had a thing about them. I especially love nice maple splint baskets like Longaberger or oak splint ones like handmade buttocks or melon shaped ones..they are just so useful. I don't think I could ever have too many baskets.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  8:20:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Frannie,
I really like small beaded evening bags-especially vintage ones. They are the one really girlie thing I collect. I have a display on MY "powder room" wall. Can't wait to see your next article!
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  9:43:31 PM  Show Profile
This is somethng that is not really useful...but I collect vintage and antique Christmas decorations. They make me smile...the glow, the shimmer. Too bad I can only put them up for the Christmas season. Well, except that I do have lots of it up all year in my studio...anything goes in there!
Thanks for letting me share.
Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  12:00:50 AM  Show Profile
Mine is wooden nut bowls and baskets. I love baskets and I have a ton of them and can still fine more but I think my top thing is wooden utensils to cook with for the kitchen

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun."

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  02:18:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Frannie,
Some day I will have to show y'all my moose collection! But that is not one thing, I have stuffed, glass, pictures, clothes, anything with a moose on it. So to fit the criteria of the question I would say books. I just love the old bindings and beautiful end papers. Most of the books I pick up are poetry, so I do read them, but if a color and style of a book jumps out at me even if the title doesn't, I will bring it home.
Blessings,
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  03:53:01 AM  Show Profile
I collect antique marbles.

It all started when my folks bought a 180 year old Victorian house in Ohio. The place was pretty trashed out; they turned it inot a beautiful home. As it went through the process of being transformed, we found marbles throughout the years.

The fist one found was a bull's eye agate, worth about 30.00. WOW not a bad find. Some guys at work collected marbles, so when they saw this beauty and went nuts over it I thought there must be more to this marble thing.

come to find out, there's lots of great history about the marble.

I prefer the true, old hand made kind. And yes, w/ a little research and hands on, you know how to tell the difference.

Since Mom was into furnishing the house in antiques we had fun sniffing out bargains together for many years. These days she and my father have since moved, but we still shop together and keep eyes peeled for jars of marbles. Among the chinese checkers and cat eyes, you never know what you might find.

My favorites are called lutz. Inside these are swirled bands of real gold. Very pretty and a little on the expensive side. Who'd have thought just for a bit of glass?!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  04:31:07 AM  Show Profile
Besides quilts, which came to my mind first, I get joy from collecting antique real photo postcards. I love the stories told in black and white - on the faces of people from long ago, in their clothes, and their homes, which they loved to photograph. My favorite postcard is of a family gathering on a small river bank in Texas. There they are, all dressed up in their finery of white linen and high collars and and upswept hair - and one of the young girls has on a white linen middie dress with high top shoes. But across her shoulder is a fully supplied ammo belt and she is holding a rifle. White linen and a rifle.....makes me think and smile at the same time.

I can spend hours looking through old post cards, and it is so fun to search them out while shopping antique shows.

Ephesians 1:17
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  06:18:07 AM  Show Profile
For those that know me, strawberries! Strawberries have always made me smile. I feel like I light up when I see one. I have 60 strawberry cookie jars. Different reds, some darker, some lighter, some even more on the orange side. When we built our little country house, I had just shelves put in the kitchen. The top shelf is lined with all my strawberry jars, and lined with the little rope lights. At night I turn them on and the jars just glow in the light. We keep them on until we go to bed. It lights just enough, not to much, and oh how it makes me smile. Of course I do everything else strawberries as well. I make quilts, pillowcases, curtains, pillows, bed linens, cups, dinnerware and more. You get the picture! Aunt Jenny and Nancy Jo have both sent me embroidered strawberry items that I will cherish. Have received so many nice gifts from farmgirls! Thanks every body! And thanks for sharing! Make someone smile today!

Happy Holidays, and farmgirl hugs, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!

www.strawberryhousequilting.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  06:54:11 AM  Show Profile
I will tell about MY collection first and then the collection my husband and I have started together (I know that's two, but I feel they are two separate lifetimes, thus individual and leave off where the other begins..(see how I did that?)
I was born in October, near Halloween, so my mother always bought me something "pumpkiny", which has now evolved into a pretty fabulous (if I do say so myself :)) pumpkin head doll collection. Some of them hold black cats, some are bride and grooms, or spell casters, some are just plain spooky pumpkin heads made of leather. They've come from everywhere--small country festivals to art museums in Manhattan. I just love them, and I usually leave my favorite out all year long. The collection that we have together (hubby and I) is vintage dog photographs and World War I and II war dog propaganda photos, posters, etc...We are dog folks, and I love to see the connection between people and their pets in old photos. My favorite so far is a WWI color lithograph that depicts Russia (Borzoi) China (Pug) England (Bulldog), Italy (Greyhound)and France (French Bulldog) with America (American Stafforshire Terrier--pitbull) in the center. Below the Am Staff it reads, "Neutral, but not afraid of any of them".

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  07:02:01 AM  Show Profile
oh my goodness .. what a pleasure reading of everyone's "ONE" passion. we truly do have lots of things that are probably on the 'top' of the list! thanks to everyone for sharing your favorite things and your stories! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Nov 29 2006 07:13:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  07:03:08 AM  Show Profile
eren .. i love that your passion was a gift from your grammie .. and vintage aprons just truly connect us by their 'strings' to the hearts of our loved ones.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  07:04:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I love this thread. I so much enjoy hearing about collections. Im sure you will write a wonderful article Frannie!!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  07:05:28 AM  Show Profile
jenny .. i adore baskets too .. have them hanging from the rafters in the kitchen and the 'gathering room'. i used to collect longaberger baskets .. but then got more into the olde, hand-did ones. (used to sell longaberger's just so i could collect them). my girlfriend, christi and i used to plan bus trips to dresden for lots of collectors. met 'dave' on a couple of our trips. what an interesting story he has to tell. do you know how this baskets came to be sold on the 'party plan'? xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  07:07:12 AM  Show Profile
oh rhonda .. aren't beaded bags just fabulous! oh . .the stories they have to tell of the parties and galas they have been to! my friend, cyndi, has a most fabulous collection of them .. she must have 50 or 60 .. and each is so individiual with thousands of little hand-sewn beads! think of the lives of those who created each and every one of these little beauties!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  07:07:31 AM  Show Profile
Mine would probably be my english china collection in honor of my Mom who was born in England, I just love the dainty flowers, I don't have many pieces, hard to find, but since losing my Mom in June, it's become extra special to me!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
And my new food blog at: www.homesteadblogger.com/gardencafe
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  07:09:29 AM  Show Profile
pamela .. my friend cyndi from maryland also has an incredible collection of christmas ornaments .. well .. christmas EVERYTHING .. she even has a guest room that is decorated with her feather trees .. her own hand-made incredible santas, olde garland and vintage ornaments. i have a lot of vintage balls .. but find that here in the cabins, i rarely put them on the trees .. i will probably split them and gift them to my two daughters. do you have a MOST FAVORITE ornament in your collection? if so .. tell us the 'story of it'. xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  07:16:04 AM  Show Profile
robin .. i would love to see your 'nut bowl' collection .. any way you can post a picture? i only have one .. vintage .. but only one. do you display them all together or just take them out one at a time and use them? and i LOVE wooden utensils too .. i have a couple crocks full and do indeed use them too. what other wooden kitchen things do you have? (i have a wonderful old wooden 'mouse-chewed' coffee grinder).

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  07:20:18 AM  Show Profile
bonnie .. what started you collecting 'all things mooose'? do you have them in your area of new york? the most moose i ever saw was in alaska .. they are magnificently HUGE (if not so beautiful in the face) .. but i do believe mama mooose's (i know .. no "s" on the end of plural moose) .. hmmmmmm .. what is singular for moose? (one moose .. two moose?) anyhoo .. i bet the mama's think their baby moose are as beautiful as any other animal (or human).

and i do agree with you .. BOOKS would probably actually be at the top of my list IF i could only collect ONE thing for the rest of my life! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  07:22:07 AM  Show Profile
anna .. what a great nostalgic thing to collect .. marbles! how many do you have in your collection? i had a HUGE jar of antique marbles many years ago .. but didn't know a thing about them .. sooo .. i sold them for a penny a piece .. bet i made a few people very happy! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  07:25:35 AM  Show Profile
jp .. i love the olde photos too. don't have many that are in 'post card' form .. mostly the 'instant ancestor' ones that were either taken in a formal 'studio' with props and all .. or less formal ones probably taken by travelling photographers .. often the families are all lined up outside their homes. i wrote a sweet article in the last issue of Mercantile Gatherings all about these 'lost ancestor' pictures. linen and gunsmoke .. what a wonderful image that brings to mind. would love to be able to go back in time and watch as this day went on .. and be in the mind of the girl who dressed up .. then grabbed her gun. (annie oakley!)

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  07:27:09 AM  Show Profile
gloria .. oh do share the story of why you love strawberries so much? i don't know of any other friend that does collect these .. so unique .. so cheery!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  07:32:52 AM  Show Profile
jonni .. i too love all things halloween .. our daughter was born on 'pumpkin' day .. and every year of her life .. i have given her one wonderful vintage halloween gift. she is now 36 and has quite a nice collection. do you have a favorite 'pumpkin head doll' artist? do you check the 'crow soup' and 'ranting raven' and other fine primitive sites each autumn to add to your collection. lots of great 'halloweeny' artists on those sites. xo

LOVE your war dogs collection idea too! VERY unique! (hmm .. the combination of "very" and "unique" ... i think that is an oxymoron?)

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  07:34:27 AM  Show Profile
sue .. what a lovely treasure to collect. especially when it brings our loved ones to mind. thanks for sharing that sweet thought with us gurlfren. xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2006 :  07:40:17 AM  Show Profile
Hello, everybody. Wow, this is a neat thread. Thanks for starting it, Frannie. My main theme for objects I pick up now and then are all things bird-related. Ceramic birds, tins with birds painted on them, antique postcards with birds on them, fabric birds, metal birds.....a guy I used to work with nicknamed me "BB" for "Bird Brain" since he knew I also collected abandoned nests and decorated with them. I love baskets, too, and old pottery, garden stuff, books.....no wonder we all get along so well. We all have such incredible taste! Have a great day everybody and get out there and add to your collections today! Nance
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic And These Things Do Please Me Well .. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page