Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Selvage Quilts and other Projects
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Selvage Quilts and other Projects Next Topic  

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2015 :  10:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I love re-purposing and not wasting expensive fabric. When I buy new fabric I cut off the selvage edges with about 1/2" of the fabric pattern and keep them in a large bag. I use them for projects and wonder if any of you do the same?

Here are a few of my selvage projects

part of my spider web quilt

close-up of block

vest

two quilt blocks - not sure what to use them for yet

I love seeing how the selvages look on the various projects. Some selvages have words or the color dots that show what colors are used in the fabric.

What do you think? Have any of you tried this?

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  06:09:54 AM  Show Profile
I've been saving selvages for a couple of years. That is when I started to sew. I love that spider quilt pattern, Linda! Not sure what I'll do with mine. Heck, I'm not even sure where I put my shoes.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  06:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Lol. You are funny!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  7:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Very creative Linda!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2015 :  9:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Thank you CJ. I enjoy making things and try to think a little out of the box. Maybe sometimes too far out? Lol

And why waste good fabric? Even small salvages.
Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Aug 08 2015 9:56:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2015 :  05:05:17 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Linda, these selvage products are very cool! You are quite creative in thinking it all up too! Thanks for sharing.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2015 :  09:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Winnie -

Thank you, but it was definitely not my original idea to use selvages, but it is fun coming up with ways to use them.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2015 :  6:58:42 PM  Show Profile
Linda, those are great! I have seen Christmas ornaments made of shel edges but I especially like the quilt.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3931 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3931 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  06:49:26 AM  Show Profile
I save my selvages and plan to use them in a crochet project. Maybe an art doll.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7484 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7484 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  06:53:22 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Ooh, Marie. That sounds like a neat idea, too. I've thought about crocheting placemats or a rug with them, especially when I cut off a long strip from large pieces of fabric. I know it would take a lot of strips. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  11:37:00 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Linda. I love all the projects in your pictures. However, the quilted vest is my favorite. I do love quilts! Beautiful work!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Selvage Quilts and other Projects Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page