Author Holidays: Previous Topic Need your ideas! Next Topic  

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2006 :  11:09:26 AM  Show Profile
OK gurlz! I am my sons chair person for his 4th grade Christmas party. I have always done his parties, but this year is different. Its always been send a letter home to the parents asking for money and I do it all by myself. This year I wont be asking for money(small town, not alot of folks have it), which is so fine with me. And I have volunteers, which I am loving.
I am just trying to think of a craft that is low cost. I don't have to worry about snacks and stuff. Its just the craft. I was thinking about snowglobes, but that might be a little bit much. Anyway, I know you gurlz always have great ideas. And usually I do too, but my mind is blank, lol!

lilpunkin

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2006 :  11:12:54 AM  Show Profile
check out the Oriental Trading company site they have lots of craft kits that have the supplies for 12 crafts in each kit, things like that very inexpensive and fun for kids that age.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2006 :  11:33:47 AM  Show Profile
I've done this with the gazillion children in my husband's family, and we've done anything from blanket stitching felt stockings with light applique work--red felt cardinals and holly, or snow men (pre cut) to creating really neat handmade "gift tags" for christmas gifts with scrap booking stuff, stickers and holiday stamps. You can find some really lovely stamps, and most craft stores sell those big manilla blank tags (with the hole in the end?) in bulk packages. That was a hit last year because when they left, they had something to help "mom" and that's always a big deal.
Is there a baking facility? That recipe of the cinnamon/apple stuff that makes the good smelling dough for permanant ornaments might be a good thing, too. Christmas cookie cutters, and some ribbon and you're good to go. Maybe each child could make a set of 4 or 6 and they could be wrapped in celephane bags for gift giving?
Just some thoughts.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  05:24:04 AM  Show Profile
I think it was Martha Stewart who had a project one year where you cut out a star from posterboard and then you cover each side with felt and then decorate it, put a loop at the top and it makes a doorknob decoration or can just hang from a hook, etc. For decorations I just gathered odds and ends of trim, glitter etc., things that could be glued on, from my craft supplies and I made some with my niece when she was very young, I did the prep work, so she could just decorate the stars. I know that some of the recipients still have theirs years later.
Sooooo may check out MSL site.
peapodjane

Edited by - peapodjane on Nov 28 2006 05:26:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  09:35:33 AM  Show Profile
Gift tags is a GREAT idea! Simple and easy. I also like the apple cinnamon dough idea too. And of course ornaments are always a hit.

Another idea, if you have time, would be to have someone prebake a bunch of gingerbread men or tree-shaped sugar cookies and let the kids decorate them during the party. (And then eat them!)

There is always the paper chains, which can be done like this: Cut construction paper into one inch or 1.5 inch strips, have the kids write on the chain pieces (one on each) their wishes for 2007, sign their names and then make a big chain to hang in the classroom! Or out in the hall... This can be done with paper ornaments too, made from construction paper (looks kind of like one of those angel gift trees.)

Make christmas cards for the family using scrapbook stuff and old recycled christmas cards?

Cut gingerbread men or some other simple xmas shape from felt and sew into felt dollies? Decorate with rick rack and buttons.

I have an idea that someone might be able to use for a project at home, and I'll mention it here because it involves kids but it is probably be too time consuming for a class party...

They had the children draw big pictures of christmasy stuff - the wise men, baby jesus, trees, etc... and then transferred the drawings to white muslin. They then cut them out, leaving about a half inch around the edges of the drawings, appliqued some fabric to fill in the bodies and then embroidered a black outline of the figure. Then they sewed them up, stuffed them and made christmas ornaments out of them. They were really CUTE! Mostly black stick figures on white, with some color in the bodies... They did the same thing with paper too, just skipped the stuffing part.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2006 :  09:37:00 AM  Show Profile
Making Friends' craft site is a good place to get ideas... http://www.makingfriends.com/

They have a beautiful Christmas lantern idea on the front page that is super easy to make, might keep the boys interested too, and won't cost a fortune to do...

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Nov 28 2006 09:38:21 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Need your ideas! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page