Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Dhydrating fruit slices? Next Topic  

brandyanne
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Debra

81 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  11:14:53 AM  Show Profile
can anyone tell me if it is possible to dehydrate fruit slices if you do not have a dehydrator- perhaps in the oven? or by air drying?
Thanks!

Edited by - brandyanne on Nov 25 2006 11:15:34 AM

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  11:22:22 AM  Show Profile
Apple slices dry well in the oven on a low setting. I used 200 and it takes several hours, it's been awhile so I don't right off hand remember the time but I know I did turn them once just to make sure they would dry evenly. I only used apples so I don't know about bananas or such. I have a dehydrater now. I did make apple leather in the oven also. It was great. Higher temp tho. but not much. Wow, things are coming back into this well used brain. Your county extension office should have a pamphlet on how to make a dehydrater with recipes.

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

brandyanne
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Debra

81 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  11:50:18 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Mary Beth- I am going to give it a try!Think I will try orange slices too!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  7:11:10 PM  Show Profile
I've done orange segments before but I don't remember the specifics. Probably the same and Mary Beth said.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  05:13:40 AM  Show Profile
Here's info I snagged off the 'net:

To dry apple slices using the oven method, core your apples and slice them about 1/4 inch thick. In order to prevent them from oxidizing and turning brown during the process, dip the slices into a solution of 2 cups lemon juice and 3 tablespoons salt. Make sure the slices are well soaked for about 15 minutes. After you remove them, pat them dry with paper towels and place them on cookie sheets and dry for about 6 hours at 150 degrees. Keep the oven door slightly ajar to ensure good air circulation. Turn the slices when they start to curl.

For oranges, slice them about 1/4 inch thick and gently squeeze out as much of the moisture as possible without squeezing and misshaping the slices. Then place the slices on a cookie sheet and dry for about 6 hours at 150 degrees. As with the apples, keep the oven door slighty ajar for air circulation.

I've dried apple slices (for eating) on a cooling rack placed atop our woodstove. I just keep an eye on them until they look 'dry enough' -- even when they brown a bit they are still delicious! Don't know how long they store, because we all just munch them immediately.

Haven't tried orange slices, but I may give it a go today, since that would be thrifty. And a big bowl of orange slices, cloves, cinnamon sticks would be heavenly.
Go to Top of Page

brandyanne
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Debra

81 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  06:15:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Katie-ell- I am going to try drying tonight after work- I agree the orange slices, cloves and cinnamon sticks do sound great!

www.brandyannescandlesandprims.com
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Dhydrating fruit slices? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page