Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Best $40 spent on sewing thingee!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Best $40 spent on sewing thingee! Next Topic  

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2015 :  11:49:19 AM  Show Profile
Why didn't I learn about this sooner? The walking foot with an edge-stitch blade sole foot is the best $40 I have spent on sewing stuff in a long, long time.

I got the binding on a quilt done in easily HALF the time with virtually ZERO places I had to go back and re-sew. Wooohooo! Better results, less swearing under my breath, the seam ripper may grow dust...all kinds of benefits. The edge stitch is so even and so easy to do with the foot blade as a guide.

Check out this sample done with highly contrasting fabric so it can be seen. Pardon my enthusiasm, but the simple things can make me quite happy.

My sewing has evolved from ditching a "kid" machine to a grown-up one, taking classes and lots of notes at those classes, learning lots from reading the various forums here, and making good use of others' ideas for things like this machine foot, Ott lights, quilting gloves with little grippy fingertips, etc.

I see more quilts in my near future!
Cindy

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2015 :  12:02:56 PM  Show Profile
Excellent. Always fun to find things that really work.
MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2015 :  1:16:09 PM  Show Profile
Shame on me - in my zeal to get the post up, I forgot ask:

What wonderful time-saving notions or accessories or whatever you want to call them have you found helpful?

Thanks-
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2015 :  1:24:12 PM  Show Profile
Cindy,
Where did you find the foot

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3932 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3932 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2015 :  1:31:11 PM  Show Profile
I have a rotary cutter which saves me enormous amounts of time ripping out seams.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2015 :  5:24:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Denise Ann,

That foot is for a Bernina machine, and it is now "standard issue" when you buy the walking foot set. A few years ago when I bought the walking foot it came with ONE additional sole plate, but now that edge-stitch foot comes with it.

I bought it separately at my local quilt shop, not willing to wait for their once-a-year 25% off any Bernina accessories coupon.

I am not sure what other machine manufacturers offer such a thing, but I hope many do.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2015 :  8:26:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Cindy,
I will have to check into that. I have a Janome, so I will see if I can find one on line.

Thanks again for the info.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13625 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13625 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2015 :  11:03:41 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I have been sewing ALL of my life (I'm 66 years young) and MOST of that time on sewing machines that had some sort of issue or another.
It wasn't until 2 years ago when oldest sister, who lives in the Denver area, saw their neighbor had a Bernina for sale in a yard sale.
She let me know, I told her YES, she brought it to me on a visit here and that is the FIRST sewing machine I have TRULY LOVED! It sews beautifully and has NO ISSUES! Yes, I'm "in love"!
CJ

P.S. I'll have to look in all the attachments to see if it has one of these "feet". I haven't really pursued using all the "goodies" it has, and it has lots!

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  3:45:03 PM  Show Profile
CJ,

My "big girl" sewing machine is a Bernina, and it has completely changed my views on sewing. I'm glad you are also enjoying yours.

The brief whole story:

I have no patience and everyone who knows me knows this about me. I especially have no patience for things that don't work properly, so when my old sewing machine constantly made "nests" of thread on the underside of whatever I was sewing, I thought it was something impatient me was doing. And I pretty much gave up on sewing because it was clearly not enjoyable given how things were going.

Then a nice and patient friend asked to borrow my machine, and after she got frustrated with it and when she renamed it the "Oh Beother!" Machine instead of just the brand "Brother", I knew it wasn't just me.

Another friend worked at the local quilt shop, and let me know their once-a-year bestest sale on Berninas was coming up soon, and talked to me about what I wanted to sew, etc so she could recommend a model.

Here comes sale day and I marched in and dropped $1200 on a sewing machine while having heart palpitations and shortness of breath - I never imagined spending that much on a sewing machine! But my quilting friend assured me I would be happy with it, and boy was she correct.

The second shocker for me came when my machine was ready to be picked up. The lady at the quilt store told me she had the very same model, how much I would enjoy sewing with it, and this one is so nice because it is really portable - she used it to take to the beach and an vacation. Say WHAT? I was having a fit over the cost for my only machine, and it was this lady's SPARE. Little did I know about the price of the really upper-end models of Berninas and other brands.

But I've gotten over the price and thoroughly enjoy using it. I always enjoy learning new things that make any and all sewing easier, so feel free to keep the gadget suggestions coming, ladies!

Cindy
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Best $40 spent on sewing thingee! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page