New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Soy! Do we like it? Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  9:02:11 PM  Show Profile
I mean no disrespect to anyone who happens to be a soybean farmer, so please understand that this is an inquiry, not a condemnation. I was at two locations recently (dr's office and health food store) and heard conversations regarding soy and they were not complementary. I am never big on hearsay so I came home and started researching and was just plain shocked, I read article after article that told me why I should eliminate this product from my diet. There were some very serious health claims mentioned and some of them correspond with what has been happening to me these past two years. I am just stunned and confused. Thinking this is "health food" and incorporating it into my diet now makes me wonder if I haven't been making matters worse. Anyone else out there starting to wonder about soy products ?

with a happy heart

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  9:08:32 PM  Show Profile
Bramble, please share what you've heard. I'm not up to speed on the latest... and I'm using more soy, thinking it's a healthy alternative. Thank you.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  9:24:11 PM  Show Profile
Well, I did a quick search, and the first thing that came up is Dr. Mercola's article. He's well known and respected, so I read his views... hmmmmmm..... hmmmmmmm. hmmmmmmmmm. It is a bit scary. Will have to read more. Here's the link I found: http://www.mercola.com/2005/feb/26/soy_myths.htm

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  10:23:44 PM  Show Profile
I never have used it much, but always thought I should..hmmmmmmm

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 18 2005 :  05:03:17 AM  Show Profile
I have read similar articles about the dangers of too much soy in one's diet. Thanks, Bramble for making this topic available for discussion. Our family does not use soy. So many people are drinking soy milk now! We drink organic cow's milk, rice and almond milk, and my granddaughter drank goat's milk after she stopped nursing.

jpbluesky

O, cease to heed the glamour that blinds your foolish eyes,
Look upward to the glitter of stars in God's clear skies.

from God's Garden by Robert Frost

Edited by - jpbluesky on May 18 2005 05:04:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 18 2005 :  05:27:37 AM  Show Profile
WE don't use soy either...When I consume anything soy I get very bad diahrea...My body just can't handle it. Soy has natural estrogen, maybe that is why it causes premature development in girls and disrupts reproductive systems. We do not raise soybeans but a lot of farmers around here do.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - May 18 2005 :  1:07:24 PM  Show Profile
If we cut out a lot of soy we could benefit physically, and so would the earth. Think of all the pesticides, herbicides and synthetic fertilizers used to grow this crop in what's known as "dead" soil.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 18 2005 :  1:18:29 PM  Show Profile
Point taken, Robin... but I've been purchasing "certified organic" soy products, so hopefully those are true to their label... I think it's the naturally high phyto-estrogen content in soy that is the biggest culprit, and as Meadowlark mentioned has the hardest affects on our youth and puberty. This might be a good thing for menopausal women, (afterall, didn't Dr. Weil highly recommend incorporating more soy in our diets to ward off hot flashes???) but perhaps the benefits do not outweigh the risks. I will reconsider and study and try to make the best choices for my body.

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  10:04:26 AM  Show Profile
I began to use soy a few years ago to replace the cows milk in my diet that had turned out to be the cause of so much of my discomfort. I have always looked for and purchased soy products with the Organically grown certification and I buy the beans to make my own tofu. I use tempeh, tamari, and soy based cream cheese products. I do not use the soy based cheese substitutes or meat look alikes because they seem to contain things I feel are not good to have in my diet. I am not a vegetarian but until recently have not eaten any form of beef or cows milk products. I have tried to incorporate some of the certified grass fed, organic beef products back into my diet but still find that once a month is all my body can tolerate. It just does not digest. Soy does digest in my system.
No gas, bloating,constipation or diahrea associated with this food source. I am aware that most soy grown is not grown in a good way and also that a lot of it is genetically engineered food. I try not to use this type. However I have recently been informed that the certification process is questionable and that even the organically grown beans can become contaminated by a neighboring farm that grows genetically engineered soy beans. Also that a lot of our once natural food sources have been bought up by big corporations who want to phase out the organic products or force the smaller organic companies out of business by selling the organically ? produced foods that they now controll for less in order to force the real organic farmers out of business. There are studies on each side of the soybean controversy that point to things caused by soybeans like thyroid dysfunction, premature development or slow development in males etc. In the article mentioned above by Clare, Dr Mercola has made some pretty frightening claims but I also know that this particular doctor is one who tends to be alarmist. I am not sure form other things I have read that I would trust him.
Since my arthritis came on so early in my life I have been doing research on foods using my own body as the guinea pig. I have read lots of theories and applied this to my studies. What I have found is that if I eat something and have a reaction to it "I" should avoid this food. Our food supply is so contaminated at this point I am not sure how to decide what to eat unless I have grown it myself or know the place and people involved in its production.
I have however decided not to live in fear of what I might eat but to trust that when I ask Creator to bless what I consume to the health of my body that it will be just that. I believe that taking the fear out of eating changes the energy surrounding what I eat.
Keeping informed also helps me make better choices.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 19 2005 :  6:10:16 PM  Show Profile
This is an interesting topic, as I have tried incorporation some soy into my diet. I have not had any problems that I am aware of, (i.e. diarrhea, etc.), but recently have also read articles about problems with too much soy. I have drastically cut back on soy and drink soy milk occasionally now, stopped soy yogurt (didn't like it), and use soybeans marked no GE though I guess that is questionable. The main reason I am cutting back (read stopping) on the use of soy, is articles which state that the isoflavines in soy mimic estrogen in the body. After menopause, we naturally produce very little estrogen, according to nature. I believe that we shouldn't "fool with Mother Nature or Father Time" and that there is a time and place for everything. Our bodies were not meant to keep producing these hormones after a certain age.
I am not a doctor, but have taken some course work in nursing and anatomy/physiology, and am not giving out health advice. But read everything you can about this subject.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  3:59:29 PM  Show Profile
I too keep seeing article against soy. I subscribe to Dr Mercola's e-newsletter. He is my friends doctor and she has nothing but good things to say.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  4:26:28 PM  Show Profile
I worked for years in and around health food stores and as the soy industry kept becoming bigger and bigger in the mainstream, especially in women's health issues, we in the grassroots were hearing complete opposite opinionsabout soy. Standardized soy extracts for women, soy infant formulas and excessive use of unfermented soy products like tofu and soy milk seem to be causing health problems all over the place.
Check out this website for more specific scientic studies and information.......you won't be hearing about this in Ladies Home Journal! Seems to be a VERY controversial topic...but has to be explored.
www.westonaprice.org and click on the soy alert! link
Interesting aside...Weston A. Price was a dr. from the 20's who studied the good health of cultures who ate very clean,unprocessed, traditional foods........like raw milk, butter, eggs, cheeses,grass fed beef and poultry, fish and fresh and cultured fruits and veggies.
Sound right to you, farmgirls?? Kinda makes you go Hmmmmmm??
Me,too.....check it out!

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on May 20 2005 5:35:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  4:50:10 PM  Show Profile
Hey everyone, glad to know I'm not going crazy! Susan, that happens to be one of the sites my doctor told me to look at. If you read "One Woman's story" that's enough to have you run screaming from the building without looking back. It also struck a little too close to home for me these past few years. I thought Dr. Price's research with diet, palate width and native populations was also fascinating.
At first I was not sure about posting this topic, I didn't want to offend, but I am glad to see that others of you have been inquiring and altering your consumtion for the same reasons I was beginning to have my doubts. I will post the other sites I researched over the weekend (the list is in my car at the repair shop).

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - May 20 2005 :  5:09:57 PM  Show Profile
I have to add that at the last store that I worked we tried to gently educate people about the soy controversy......and it was very delicate business!
The soy industry is very powerful at promoting themselves in a positive light. Some are really offended and insulted when you ask them to explore the possible health risks of a product that they regard as already beneficial to their health. I have seen that look of "wanting to run screaming from the building" many times before.On the other hand, I have talked to people who were very grateful for the information.
The website is very helpful at explaining it all.www.westonaprice.org

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  06:48:51 AM  Show Profile
I tried drinking a cup of Soy Milk at night because I had heard it might help alleviate those first symptoms of perimenopause. All I got for my trouble was a terrible case of "Soybeans" revenge. Gas, bloating, trips to the ladies every ten minutes. I didn't conncect the two until my friend Susan pointed out that although they call it "milk" it is made from BEANS.

I haven't read those articles but intend to.

You all take care!
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  07:25:46 AM  Show Profile
That's really interesting. I've never used soy products (tofu, can't stand it!), until recently I started buying "Boca Burgers"..the meat-substitute crumbles (made from soy). I only eat it maybe once every couple of weeks and haven't had any physical problems from it. I'm going to read up more on this, definitely!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  08:43:14 AM  Show Profile
The best thing to do with anything like this is to listen to your body and respect what it is telling you. The body is very wise, it is our minds that don't want to listen. And everything in moderation. you could look at it this way - If come from an asian backgoround then your body will naturally be used to digesting large amounts of soy because soy has been a major staple food in that area for thousands of years, and you may also be less tolerate or not at all to dairy. But soy has not been a major food for european, african, or americans diet so it's fairly new to our evolution. Nothing in excess ( written on the enterance of the oracle temple in Delphi, Greece).And be careful of statistics, it all depends on who's doing the satistics and what they want to prove.I eat soy but not much. I buy my tofu from a shop in town that make it themselves, they sell it packaged but they also sell it deli style, so you can put it fresh in your own bag. My biggest peeve is packaging so I'll continue to buy it until I can't get it this way and then I guess I'll have to learn to make it myself.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  10:07:27 AM  Show Profile
I think it's okay to eat if you don't eat too much of it. I'm a big fan of edamame, and I love to stir fry tofu. I occasionally drink soy milk.

All in all, I usually don't get more than a couple of servings of soy a week.

I will say that once, for a diet, I ate much more soy than I usually do. That month I had the worst menstrual cramps of my life. I don't know if it was related.

Edited by - ivmeer on Jul 13 2005 10:09:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  6:31:03 PM  Show Profile
After seeing many of the articles we have cut out most soy as well. Most of what I have read though shows that fermented soy isn't the problem. I would wager that fresh soybeans are probably ok too but the non-fermented products aren't so great for you. Especially if you have thyroid issues apparently.

¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  7:11:03 PM  Show Profile
Miso is a woderful way to eat soy. It is a fermanted mixture of soy and rice. It is predigested so it's better for digestion and the nutrients are more easily absorbed. Also it contains benifical bacteria like yogurt but a different strain. It's just plain good for ya.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  9:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow-

Have my internet crash for a few days and I miss so much!

Personally I am PRO soybeans- but not to a fanatical extent.

I LOVE Pacific Foods Organic Soymilk (vanilla flavor). Literally I drink a carton of it a day when I have it. ( this is a bit excessive but it tastes so good!)

I worked with a nutritionalist at my previous job and I asked her about this subject. basically what she said is "If you eat too much of it then yes, it can be harmful but the health benefits of soy are really great and so moderation is the key"

I was allergic to about 30 food items growing up, including cows milk, corn, wheat, barley, citrus, melons, berries, any dairy product, preservatives, red food die ect....

So as a substitute for milk, I drank soy formula until about middle school. I don't feel I have suffered any negative effects- I was not accelertated in my development AT ALL. If fact I fell right in the middle of my class for when I got my first period. I have been tested for thyroid function and all levels of health recently and my thyroid is very healthy. In fact the doctor was surprised at how healthy I was considering the fact that I was in to see him because I was having a stress breakdown.

Growing up (when I had the highest levels of soy in my diet) I had extremely healthy blood cholesterol, and all of my blood work was so positive- the doctors couldn't believe it. I was the healthiest person in my WHOLE family.

I try to only buy organic soy and try to make sure that the company does not use the genetically modified strains.

Also I have never had any negative side effects from eating soy- gas, abdominal issues or otherwise. Perhaps some people have an intolerance for soy just like dairy intolerance?

I have never really enjoyed tofu so the only way I usually take soy is in oil (for cooking with) or in Soymilk.

I think, as with anything, moderation is the key and moderation is even better paired with research.

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  11:21:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness!! I read your link and thats very scary. The Dr had me switch my baby from breastfeeding to soy formula because of her acid reflux problems! She has been on soy formula for the last 3 months. She is about 9 months old.. soy formula stinks so badly anyway, I never felt good about giving it to her, but it has helped her with the violent spitting up.

Have any of you had this problem? What have you used other than soy?

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Soy! Do we like it? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page