Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Knitting mittens and socks.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting mittens and socks. Next Topic  

Glampinggrandma
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Katie
New London MO
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2015 :  6:28:44 PM  Show Profile
As I enjoy knitting both mittens and socks, and also wearing them, I have enjoyed the pre-patterned yarns. I have been making mittens for gifts with these yarns and they turn out like the harder versions of Swedish looking mittens but all you do is knit, no ten small balls of different colored yarns. Try some, sold at most crafting stores or online.

Country Katie and Daisy Mae

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7490 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7490 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2015 :  7:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Do you sell some knitted socks? I love wearing knitted socks.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2015 :  05:22:01 AM  Show Profile
Katie, I know just what you mean about the new self fair isle patterning yarns. I just love them too for making socks and gloves. Recently, I made a cute v-neck vest with it and the colors turned out very nice. I think I might go mad trying to knit with 10 balls of different colored yarn!! LOL!!! Here is a photo of my recent project using this type of yarn.

Linda, do you knit? Learning to knit socks is pretty easy if you already know how to knit in the round. I took a class at a local yarn store one Saturday and I was surprised how easy it was to do. It does take me awhile to make a pair as I am not a fast knitter, but I love all the beautiful sock yarn that is available these days.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2015 :  07:32:26 AM  Show Profile
Winnie,
I love the vest its really cute.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2015 :  08:02:54 AM  Show Profile
I'm really concentrating on knitting these days. I'm going to try to knit all my immediate family's Christmas presents this year. I hope to eventually try socks once I get all the gifts made. I'm working now on my first ever project on circular needles. It's a mobius wrap for my sister-in-law in a really pretty mohair/acryllic blend. I was terrified of the circular needle, but it's actually fun!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2015 :  09:09:39 AM  Show Profile
I wish I knitted---I use to. One winter I knitted the 6 of us socks, mittens and watch caps and layed down my needles and never picked them up again. A mistake yes but I think I burned yself out. LOL
MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7490 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7490 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2015 :  09:35:24 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I do knit and crochet, and I have lots of sock patterns, but have never tried to knit them. I have knit sweaters in the round and can knit on double pointed needles, just have never tried socks. I'd like to do what I think is the circular needle socks so I can knit both at once? That way they would be the same size. LOL! I always knit both sleeves of a sweater at the same time so they are the same length - my mother taught me that. I have what is supposed to be an easy first sock pattern. Guess I need to try it this winter. I get so involved with quilting, I haven't been knitting. I'm knitting some fingerless gloves for my grandson now.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7490 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7490 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2015 :  09:36:53 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
That's a lot of socks, Marybeth. And caps and mittens. I think that would burn me out, too. I knitted 5 afghans during one of the winter olympics and haven't knitted an afghan since. Lol!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2015 :  5:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
I too love that self patterning yarn. I knit socks alot, and sometimes mittens. There are so many brands. Fun to make fancy socks faster. I knit an afghan recently and it seemed so so huge after the socks i mostly knit on tiny needles. This time of year afghans are so heavy and hot that socks are a joy.#128515;

Dream like you have a lifetime ahead of you. Live like you only have today.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7490 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7490 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  11:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Winnie -
I can definitely knit in the round. When you make socks do you make one at a time or both at once? I haven't learned the two at a time socks method yet.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  3:06:20 PM  Show Profile
hi everyone I knit socks, two at once. I like doing it that way, as no counting rows. but it takes a bit for me to get going on them. I just recently started a pair, and it took me 3 trys to get them going. But once you do they are super easy. I had made 5 pair for my family over the years. I think I did one pair each year. I encourage anyone who wants to do it.......give it a try!!

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting mittens and socks. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page