Glampinggrandma
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Katie
New London MO
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  5:51:42 PM  Show Profile

I have purchased "bare" yarn and tried my hand at dying my own. But the twist is that I have lots of wild black raspberries. At the promise to my daughter in love to not use too many for dying, I used about a cup, and worked my way to dying two hanks. It was fun to let them drip dry and pool some to make it varigated. I hung them on my vintage wooden drying rack outside between rain showers in these parts. I am calling my color soft raspberry on the wild side. Katie Wright

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  7:00:40 PM  Show Profile
Sound beautiful, Katie. Could we possibly see a picture? :)

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  7:10:21 PM  Show Profile
Love the idea of using raspberries ... on the wild side:)

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7487 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7487 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  7:53:32 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I've never used raspberries, but have used kool-aid. Sounds like u have a great color. What are you going to make with it?

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX
Farmgirl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:42:23 AM  Show Profile
Katie, your experiment sounds great! Can you post a photo of the yarn you dyed? I would've to see how it turned out!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  7:07:29 PM  Show Profile
I had a quilt, (my oldest granddaughter has it now), that my grandmother pieced. She dyed her own solid colored fabric for it. I never knew if she used blackberries or mustang grapes, but the color was just beautiful. It has faded over the years. She passed away about 40 years ago and due to poor health had not been able to be very creative during her latter years. I love to experiment with plant dyes. When I taught first grade, every year we studied Indians and Pilgrims. I would bring a few things into the classroom and let the Kid's make colors and then paint with them. Lots of fun.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.
www.etsy.com/shop/
anniemayme
Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2015 :  2:59:34 PM  Show Profile
Glampinggrandma,,, what a great idea,,, thanx for sharing it with us,,, and motivating us to try natural dyes...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2015 :  3:00:53 PM  Show Profile
oh. I forgot to ask... do you have to do anything to 'set' the dye? like rinse in vinegar or ?????

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2015 :  8:13:28 PM  Show Profile
I was just wondering the same thing, Grace....

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe
Sharpshooter / Chapter Guru

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  06:09:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
A good book for natural dyeing is "Wild Color" by Jenny Dean. It tells you how to pretreat animal and plant fibers for the best color-fastness, and how to make your own mordants and post-rinses if you don't want to buy copper or iron powders (both toxic). I have done a couple of dye batches so far. One with St John's Wort (only one variety gives you the reds, and it was not the one I had), and one with blackberries. It was very interesting to see how the different types of fibers took dye. Silks seem to take (and keep) the brightest colors, while cotton is softer. Wool colors a lot like silk, but seems to change according to the initial color(s) of the fiber, giving a multicolor effect. They are all very pretty.

Sherri
Sister #1350.
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2015 :  06:23:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
[URL=http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/Sherrilyn_Askew/media/785759c9-4728-45f3-ad43-a1d8cacfcf12_zpsnhuepdsv.jpg.html][/URL]

Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  3:10:08 PM  Show Profile
thanks for sharing the different colors you created. I have wool yarn I want to dye. I have done the Japanese indigo plant, for blue, and I did a batch of walnuts and got a camel tan color. It was fun to see what you get.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2015 :  2:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
Please post a photo of the blue you did, I would love to see it.

I did another batch yesterday, marigolds. They produced a beautiful yellow. Not as tan looking as the St John's Wort.
[URL=http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/Sherrilyn_Askew/media/20150812_1416151_zpstt4t6mdt.jpg.html][/URL]

I am currently soaking a batch of fiber in wild cherry bark and will post those results soon. I am having way to much fun!!!

Sherri
Sister 1350
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  05:48:21 AM  Show Profile
Very, very interesting Sherri! The blackberries turned out beautiful too. I think it would be fun to knit the blackberry yarn together with the darker marigold yarn for a gorgeous Fall cowl or shaw.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  08:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
I have found it very interesting how the plant fibers and animal fibers look the same with some dyes, yet vastly different with others. My cherry bark did not turn out even close to exp=cted. I think I will try apple leaves and plum leaves next. Who knows, maybe there is a Northwest Dyersburg guide in the making....lol

Sherri
Sister 1350
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  1:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
I hate auto correct on my phone. It screws up more words.......

Here is a photo of the wild cherry. It's kind of a pinkish tan. I was expecting a pinker color. I think I need more bark.
[URL=http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/Sherrilyn_Askew/media/20150813_1243501_zpsgvbhciif.jpg.html][/URL]

Right now I am boiling apple leaves for the next dye bath. Boiled apple leaves smell wonderful (like apples), not like boiled marigolds (do them outside). I bet my family thinks I baked a pie today instead of just cooking my fabric.

The fabric I am using in these experiments is not new. It came from old sheets and clothes I got from the thrift store. Those items have been washed so many times that the sizing is sure to be gone. I always wash them again to get rid of any fabric softeners and perfumes before I put them in a mordant pot. The wool is yarn I have spun already. Soon I will try roving that I have carded myself. Since the blackberry and marigold dyes are so strong, I think I might use them to try some block printing, or use a little beeswax to do a resist dye. Who knew you could have this much fun playing with plants and fabric.

Sherri
Sister 1350
Go to Top of Page

NancyOH1
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Nancy
Columbus Ohio
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  5:54:41 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad to see this post today. I have learned to spin fiber in the last couple of years and now want to learn to dye some of my fiber. So glad to hear about the book "Wild Color". I have one book on dyeing (Visually Teach Yourself Dyeing) that I do like, but would like to learn to dye with natural materials as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2015 :  6:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
I like the book a lot. She also tells you how to make your own mordant and modifiers, Instead of having to buy potentially dangerous chemicals. Love to know how your project turns out.

Sherri
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2015 :  7:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
Did the apple leaves today. I was expecting a greenish yellow, i got yellow on cotton, and an olive yellow on silk. [URL=http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/Sherrilyn_Askew/media/20150814_1927311_zpspf7xrtjb.jpg.html][/URL]

When I am done for the year, I will have to line up all the yellows and post a pic so you can really see the differences. Of courses these photos don't seem to be showing the colors as well as they could either.

Anyway, after I did the apple dye bath, rather than feed it to the plants, I made a balckberry dye bath and added it in. I then tossed in part of the cotton that I had already used in the wild cherry bark bath. Wait until you see the beautiful green I got. I tossed a piece of mordanted silk into the exhaust just to see what happens to it. Will see the results in the morning. I will post another photo then.

Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2015 :  9:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
The promised photo:[URL=http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/Sherrilyn_Askew/media/20150815_1331241_zpslkhsbwnm.jpg.html][/URL]

The silk is a bluer green than the cotton. Both are attractive greens.

Off to do more fabric.

Sherri
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  06:19:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
I still have a few beets left in the ground, and that got me to thinking. Beet juice stains horribly, I wonder what I would get it I did it on purpose. So I tried. [URL=http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/Sherrilyn_Askew/media/20150819_0602591_zpscjwyvqnj.jpg.html][/URL] I got a light chocolate color on both the cotton and the silk, but a gold on the wool. The wool was an over-dye and I didn't use a mordant on it. Very interesting.

My plum dye cloth is currently drying on the clothesline, so I will hopefully post it tonite. Time to mordant more cloth and experiment with tie-dye and stamping.

Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  4:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
Last two photos. The first is the results from the plum tree leaves. It's a limey yellow om both cotton and silk. [URL=http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/Sherrilyn_Askew/media/20150819_1601121_zps6afpa2ok.jpg.html][/URL]

The second photo is the amazing range of yellows I got from natural dyes:
Top row (silk) L to R: St John's Wort (exhaust), marigold, apple leaves, plum leaves.
Bottom row (cotton): St John's Wort, St John's Wort (exhaust), marigold, apple leaves, plum leaves.
[URL=http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/Sherrilyn_Askew/media/20150819_1604591_zpsrefblkjd.jpg.html][/URL]

Thank you are for your patience with all the posts.

Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  12:56:15 PM  Show Profile
What a fun creative experiment!

HAPPINESS IS BEING A MOM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  1:05:25 PM  Show Profile
I've just contacted a person about buying some "raw" fleeces to work with! LOVE the colours! Thanks for the beautiful visuals =)
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Dying Yarn Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page