Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 It's all Happening
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic It's all Happening Next Topic
Page: of 5

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2015 :  11:18:04 AM  Show Profile
For all the information one would need to research on Missoula Montana go to http://www.city-data.com/city/missoula-montana.html
It has population, weather, housing, medical, and all facets of business, commerce, unemployment, support services information and data listed. Be sure to scroll down through all the pages as it has a wealth of information on Missoula. We enjoyed our visit to the town and there are wonderful ranches and farms there. And of course the university is there. Best to you and perhaps your destination will change because of an unforeseen opportunity that will come your way. Stay flexible (that's how we survive). Remember "good luck is nothing more than preparedness meeting opportunity". Be well and be safe. Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  6:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Thank you, AnnieinIdaho for the information and link. So happy to hear you enjoyed your visit to Missoula!

We retrieved DH's license safely without police intervention. At this point in time, we have about a week (up to the 21st) to stay here at our current hosts' residence. It had been our hope DH would find a job in this area, but 2 jobs he applied for ended up leading him on for about 2 weeks each before saying no. Other potential jobs are either not hiring yet, or they've turned him down.

Some of our friends live in Virginia, and recently offered to give us some floor to crash on temporarily, though we're not certain if that will work out right now -- they just had a new baby this week. We're trying to give them a few more days to make a decision there. It's literally the last place we have we can go at this point.

Unemployment benefits are unavailable at this time. DH has worked 3 jobs in this year, but hasn't been at any long enough to allow for benefits. We tried getting food stamps here, but even that wasn't allowed as we're staying at an address outside of the county we were hoping to move to. Even if we were to go to the correct county, we would no longer be at this address by the time the application processed (takes up to a month).

We're in serious need of prayer right now.
-- I ask prayers firstly for our friends and family. That they have wisdom in aiding us, particularly in that they've all their own sets of stresses and problems to deal with.
-- I ask prayers that DH find work quickly and that it pay efficiently as we save toward our future.
-- I ask prayers for our pets as we move them with us again. That we all remain safe and healthy through this continued journey.

http://lalauland.tumblr.com
http://lalauland.etsy.com
Follow me on Twitter: @lalauland
Follow me on Instagram: @lalau427
DH & I are fundraising to move cross-country: http://gofundme.com/RouteWeiller
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  08:20:55 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Have you thought of applying at Ashley Furniture? They have several factories around the country, and they are always hiring. An added benefit is the income potential. I'm not complaining. One needs to apply online, that's the way they do it. If you use a person's name that is already working there, you can get in pretty fast.

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  08:34:19 AM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Thank you, Julie. I don't know if he's applied at one here, though NC is big in furniture production. I'll have him be sure to do that.

I have semi bad news / updates at this time.

The plans fell through with our friends in VA due to things coming up in their personal lives. They were the ones supposed to pick us up in NC to take us to VA, so we contacted my parents as DH has already been applying in VA, and nothing was turning up here. There is no reasonable way we can reach VA at this time, so my parents began the process of trying to help us research and find small apartments here for under $400. We also tried finding another motel, but though it was the cheapest in town, it's too expensive for us to stay there (over $1,000 a month). We even tried checking into Trivago and other travel deal sites.

So, now... we're back to staying here. We're signing up for skills classes at Goodwill in efforts to become certified in something quickly and hopefully find work. In the meantime, I learned that this area no longer uses section 8 housing. The application process for vouchers is no longer open -- they won't allow anyone to apply for section 8 vouchers. Most public housing is specifically for the elderly. Low income based housing is more family friendly, but one must have an application fee for the apartments they're looking at. The application does a screening process to identify the individual as being low-income eligible. We've spent the ENTIRE week looking for places to stay. Most affordable ($400 or less) apartments in the area won't have anything available for move in until December 15th. I have ads all over Craigslist looking for housing, roomshares, or temporary things trying to avoid staying in the homeless shelters.

We're going to have to give up at least 2 of our pets, but we're trying to keep the other two... namely Gingy and Twitter, our dog and one cat.

Please, please, please be in prayer for us.

Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  08:47:16 AM  Show Profile
Are you able to send one of your cats out. I can take care of one here in Minneapolis in my home. Your cat will have friends.

Better yet, research how much it would cost to send your cat to Minneapolis. I will try to get you the money and if you can pack the animal up and get it to the airport, I will pick it up in Minneapolis and take care of it. Maybe you can put this request out on a thread to see if a Farmgirl can take care of your animals while you guys put your life back together.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2015 :  9:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Thank you, Marie. I will email you soon. I'm sorry it's taken me several hours to reply as I've been making phone calls all day.

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2015 :  06:40:51 AM  Show Profile
Laura, continuing to pray for y'all.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2015 :  9:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Catherine! Prayers are being answered even as I type.

Today, as we packed, someone responded to a Craigslist ad I posted seeking general information on this city, it's affordable housing, job training, etc. That someone is a DOG RESCUE OWNER. In complete honesty, I have anxiety attacks -- having pets is an astronomical help, which is why I don't want to give up Gingy or Twitty. Within less than an hour, this individual had registered Gingy as a service dog and is helping me with his training! I can take Gingy anywhere, shelters included now!! I'm sitting in a McDonalds for Internet and a power outlet... and my dog is between my feet!! I'm so happy I want to cry, but I don't do that in public... When we got Georgi (our dog which passed in 2014), I was unable to afford training for him to become a registered service animal. Much of my anxiety was triggered by crowds, tight traffic patterns. Sometimes, DH would be driving and I would suddenly feel we were going much faster than the speedometer claimed -- if he came within a certain distance of a vehicle in front of him, I freaked out. A couple times, I even screamed needlessly, causing him panic. So, you can imagine the turmoil of going out in public, knowing I couldn't have Georgi to navigate with. Over time, I got better, and it didn't hurt so much to go out without Georgi so long as he was home waiting for me. THAT is why I've shed some tears tonight. I'm the sort of person who doesn't cry. But seeing Gingy on the floor of MacDonald's... just wow. Someone -- a TOTAL STRANGER did that. For me. Unasked. So I could keep my dog without having to pay monumental boarding fees. Before any naysayers plant doubt, I have a United States Service Dog Registry number in my email inbox. She's bringing me his certificate and a vest or bandana tomorrow.

Same individual... finds out DH is a veteran. So is her mother. She and her mother were once in our shoes. They now help any veteran in need they cross paths with. So while we were purchasing bus passes and walking to McDonalds, she was on the phone checking in with every lead she knows of to help homeless veterans. She confirmed that all the local shelters are in fact full to the point of turning us away. We already knew... we've been trying to contact the same shelters all week. She called the Homeless Veterans Association, and was on hold with them when I called her from the bus station. Moments later, I sat in a conference call with her, quietly listening as she spoke to a gentleman in their New York call center.

Same indidividual knows of a fully legal, licensed, bonded place called Labor Ready. It is an employment agency. If DH signs up, he can go in early in the morning any weekday. They will give him work and pay him the exact same day, meaning we can bring in a little money while we're in classes.

Same individual called me at about 530 today. She choked up as she told me literally every homeless shelter but one has turned us away. She explained her shock over learning that these shelters don't care to make room for a veteran who served his country 4 years, even though it is 30 some degrees in November and sprinkling outside. She spoke to a couple more places before calling me back again, this time to check on us. To make sure we were safe. As I spoke to her, I detected a strangled sob... Earlier in the day, she'd asked if I minded her making a post online, without using our names, explaining our circumstances and that DH is a veteran. I told her not at all, go ahead. The sob I heard was her reaction to a friend of hers whom she met in college offering a room for the night. He came to pick us up and got us a room at a nearby hotel. He said he would be back tomorrow as he wants to put us up for another night as well.

So... I see a major opportunity here...

Awhile back, Marie (churunga) told me she thought I may just have a future in advocacy. Well... I started a new blog a few months back with just that thought in mind, along with others. I've never wanted to have just one job, but neither did I want multiples. I wanted something diverse. I don't want to do the same thing every day (BORING). I love animals. I love people. I hate that the world is like this -- shelters so full, folks too busy pointing fingers at whomever they believe caused it -- we tie our hands to help one another. We tie our hands so tightly we cannot even help ourselves. So I want to be a consultant of sorts. I want to be that person who can train service dogs, talk people through their situations and life problems. I want to be creative and continue handmaking things. I want to write. Books, blogs... I just never want to stop writing... so there it is.

Please continue the prayers -- they are most definitely working. I would like to add 2 more to the list though.
1 - Pain sucks. Days like today are so wonderful! True blessings. But the fallout is that on days like today, I somehow manage to absorb and internalize all my emotional anxious feelings and set them on a shelf to deal with later. And later (at night as I'm winding down) they come back to bite. My elbows, knees and shoulders feel a bit broken right now. Earlier, someone (family) got me all worked up, and since then, I've been shaking...
2 - ...which brings us to the someone (family) mentioned above. Please be in prayer for our family during this time. It's so confusing when your children are in these circumstances. It's difficult to know what will best help them. Dollar bill bandaids are never the answer, but you want them fed and housed. There's confusion, upset, a little distrust on all sides right now, and to paraphrase the Bible, we need the peace that passes ON understanding between us.

Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2015 :  07:58:00 AM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Good morning all!

We have another night in this hotel before doing intake at a shelter tomorrow. We're also meeting with the lady who helped us out so much yesterday this afternoon. Please pray this goes well. I have plans to discuss with her the possibility of working (be it volunteering or otherwise) while in exchange for being given a step in the right direction in the world of dog training. If she doesn't mind teaching me a little, I would be very grateful. I tried several times to join a dog training class in VA when we were living there before, but the guy running it never would tell me how to go about getting involved. Led me on for 6 months before I finally gave up. I kept at it, kept reapplying for the course, turned my resume in, spoke to the head of the class personally... No dice. It would be wonderful if this lady is willing to get me started while I'm in transition here.

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2015 :  07:26:13 AM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
So our TABE tests (placement tests) went very well. We both scored above college level.

I'm sorry this is such a brief update, but I'm in a rush... we're in a bit of a pickle at the moment, or rather, I am.

Monday - Tuesday of this week, DH and I had nowhere to go. We were turned away from the homeless shelter because they had no beds and overflow doesn't start till December. Furthermore, while we were at the shelter trying to do intake, it felt majorly unsafe... DH and I both felt a level of threat there. There are 4 shelters total in the area. 2 only accept men, which narrows it down quite a bit. At any rate, Monday night, we took a bus to McD's to figure things out. Sat there till midnight when the inside of McD's closed. We then walked to the bus depot. Here the local bus and Greyhound share a station. Last time I rode Greyhound through here at night (a few years ago) the station was either open or opened for us to use the restroom and get warm. They've changed things now, and it doesn't stay open at all... We sat outside on the cement in 30 and below weather bundled and layered as much as we could. We even wrapped Gingy up in my sweater when we weren't walking (I wore it when we walked). We didn't get any sleep. Then a guy came by and told us a nearby Marriott hotel would let us sit in their lobby until "our bus came at 430". We went in there, staying warm till 4. Back to the station, where the inside didn't open till 5. We were up for over 48 hours...

Tuesday night, a friend got us a room at a swanky Holiday Inn Express. When I awoke Wednesday, I had a sore throat which I thought was from not having water on hand when I went to bed and sleeping a bit wrong. Well.. it wasn't. DH's dad sent us some cash for a hotel for Wednesday and Thursday (buses don't run on holidays, and there was nowhere we could go for Thanksgiving day).

It's Friday morning at 10:05. I woke up feeling... not horrid, but... I don't feel up to speaking above whispers. I have a chest cold with all the nasty phlegm. It's 55° out right now, so not bad, but not good when I'm running a fever, carrying a pack, riding multiple buses and trying not to cough up a lung.

We haven't been able to reach our Goodwill caseworker as yet for referrals as to where to go tonight. I'm not sure she's working today, but we've texted her. Any suggestions or information would be majorly helpful right now.

Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2015 :  11:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I don't know about the pay at other Ashley Furniture factories, but, here is Arcadia, they pay very, very, very well. People drive up to 3 hours one way to work here. Take the hotel money and use it to get a bus ticket here. My friend applied online Monday morning and was hired that afternoon. This would be a way out of your problem as far as work goes... Good Luck and God Bless.

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2015 :  07:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Julie, I'll have to look into it, but at the moment, we have no money whatsoever (it was spent on hotel for Thanksgiving).

By way of update, yesterday was equal parts interesting and awful...
- We tried going into the Baptist Hospital here. A friend had suggested that upon letting them know DH is a homeless veteran, his wife isn't well, and we need a warm place to sit overnight, they might allow us to sleep in the lobby. No dice.
- We walked 30 minutes from the hospital back to the bus station and tried sleeping on the pavement. I'm so sore right now, it hurts my entire body to cough...
- And we haven't eaten since last night. We have some snack things, but trying to conserve.

DH is going to talk to churches today. We've already called some, but they were still closed, we're not sure if that's for all day, or if some may actually be open today.

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2015 :  10:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Last Saturday after talking to and being turned down by multiple churches, DH and I went to a different, non-denominationally affiliated, hospital. The ER receptionist heard his plight, immediately allowing us and Gingy space in the lobby for the night. Not the most comfy way to sleep (eventually I wondered how simply sitting for hours could break cause a talebone to feel broken) but it's a safe place and Gingy's pretty chill there. The receptionists have commented that he's SO good! We've ended up spending 3 nights there since then -- just when we couldn't find anywhere else to go. One night, the guards and a CNA pitched in and gave us a $20 dinner from the cafeteria.

Sunday morning (the 29th), a couple invited us to share breakfast with them. This meeting turned into them offering us the opportunity to stay with them temporarily while our own housing circumstance is fixed. We've got the people helping us in the background, but no solid housing yet. Our Veteran Coordinator at Goodwill, a VA Representative and a couple others are working together to pull all the strings necessary to get us into housing ASAP. We agreed to stay with our new found friends at least for now. The deal being that should either of us find employment, we pass a little to them toward rent and utilities (only fair) as well as replacing any food we shared with them once our food stamps come in (also fair). It was quite the deal as they had 2 dogs whom Gingy enjoyed playing with and were quite happy to look after him during our Goodwill classes each morning. Gingy needs his vaccines done before he can come into class.

Thursday morning, we had four things due in class: a group project we'd had little share in due to coming into the class a day late (everyone else started Monday, we started Tuesday), individual 'vision boards' which we had stayed up Wednesday night clipping magazines for and had to spend the 20 minutes prior to class pasting together as we had no tape or glue on hand, a 30-second commercial used to introduce ourselves and address our skill sets to portential employers and a resume and cover letter draft to turn in. We'd completed and printed drafts in the computer lab Wednesday afternoon while material was fresh in our minds. Each morning, we had to get up at 0620, dress, walk to the bus stop at least a half mile away, catch the 20, to the transit station, then the 4 to Goodwill to be there by 0900. We have yet to recover from the 2 nights we spent 48 hours up because we've had so much homework and so many mornings we had to get up early without any build up to that (normally, I would spend a week before classes gradually waking myself earlier each day). Thursday morning, we woke at 0620. At 0625, our hosts asked to speak with us -- turns out they're bums who recently totaled their car. This caused them to lose the only job between them. They've no intent of finding new jobs and seemed to be hoping to panhandle off us by offering us a place to stay. They seemed to think 4 days was plenty of time for DH and I to have acquired work and food stamps -- though this has not been their message upon inviting us to stay. They asked we pack up on the spot and leave immediataely. We did so without complaint. I hate Thursays. They're usually my "Mondays" and this one was no different. I had to message our caseworker at Goodwill immediately, she pulled some strings and found a crate for Gingy on the fly so he could sleep in her office while we were in class. Once he was in place, we had to rush to get to the classroom and complete our individual boards and quickly confer with groupmates as to the nature of our group presentation that day. By the end of Thursday, I was not a nice person -- just ask DH. But the hospital opened it's arms to us once more, we had burgers and fries, we slept, the dog didn't snore, and my talebone screamed at me for sitting on it all night come Friday morning. Oh... and a domestic violence victim found us sound asleep at 5a and decided we were the perfect peoiple to ask if we had a cell phone. I woke slowly, stretched a crick out of my neck, and in a groggy haze responded, "Huh?" She then proceeded to keep us up with consistent complaints no one would come pick her up, interrupted only by loud phone calls (from the hospital phone) to purported family members, none of whom would come get her till sunrise.

It's been quite the weekend already.

But... we received a donation (from family) through Western Union which has afforded us a week at our favorite 2-star hotel here. It's Crosslands Economy Studios. They're usually $52 per night, but when DH went in to pay for our week here, he learned they would discount it to $39 and some change, costing only $300 for the week. It's over half what we were given, but we're tired. We need to not worry about where to put our heads for a few days. Furthermore, it gives us a goal-date by which to locate further assistance or place to sleep.

DH signed in with the VA here... basically, Veterans must take their DD-214 (paperwork received upon exiting the military) to their local VA to be counted amongst the Veterans in their area. This qualifies them for the area's benefits, if eligible. DH has no benefits as just a veteran. But as a Homeless Veteran... here in NC, they're apparently all about rescuing Veterans -- particularly if they've family. Signing in with the VA here has also qualified him for HUD VASH (spelling?). He has to go back Monday to get his VA card, and has an appointment sometime in January.

Our Goodwill caseworker (Veterans Coordinator) found a veterinarian willing to donate a FREE bath and FREE vaccines to Gingy!! We're over the moon about this!! We just have to drop him off Monday before class and they'll board him till we're out of class the same day. I just need to find the bus route to drop him off before then. We're excited because the vaccines will allow him into class with me -- I know this may sound super weird, but I can tell a major change in how I approach schooling with a dog. I deal with anxiety -- which Gingy really helps with. I find myself thinking more about him than my fears as we train together. Since he's been able to do more with me in public, I've found I approach class more confidently (ask questions more rather than thinking them too foolish to attempt, I felt I tested better with him in the room, etc.). So, for him to be allowed into class is just... WOW!! I'm so glad I met someone willing to register him on the spot and work with us over time.

Please continue keeping us in your prayers. 2 of our cats, Haru and Ryo are happily situated in their new home. The kind lady who agreed to cat sit them fell for them completely and is keeping them. They adore her back, and we are confident they will receive the best of care for the remainder of their lives. Twitter is still staying with her as well and will be coming home with us once a place is found. She is helping us out by gradually separating him from the other two, prepping him for being the only cat. We've been talking lately and the three of us (DH, cat sitter and myself) believe Twitty is better suited to being an only cat, though we know he'll love having Gingy around to play with. Twitty has always been sort of the odd-man-out with Haru and Ryo. They played with him occasionally, but he would sometimes try dominating them enough they got annoyed. His relationship with Gingy was different. They've similar personalities which complement one another. They pretty much leave each other be, but will play together at least once every 2-3 days. When they do play, it's a total riot. They chase each other. Twitty will actually lie in wait round a corner and gently (no claws) spank Gingy on the butt when he trots past unaware. The ensuing game of silly chase is a joy to behold.

Things I'm crossing my fingers for:
-- a home by Christmas; we've met a friend whom we wouldn't mind being roommates with, but wouldn't mind being alone either, please pray that the best of the two occurs
-- some small articles of pet furniture for our 2 boys for Christmas in the new place (OBVIOUSLY not a need, I just want them to feel at home wherever we end up and feel having a pet bed and kitty house or tree to be a great way to go about it)
-- new clothes for the remainder of winter; we don't need much, but we need clothes that aren't decidedly summer wear and that appear presentable; I'm in desperate need of new shoes or boots that will survive the walking we've had to do. Any suggestions as to brand names which are decent walking shoes that can be cleaned and polished to double as interview attire would be quite welcome.
-- above all that we be shown what we might do for others this season. I think I've an idea which I'm not ready to share yet, but please pray it pans out.

Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2015 :  07:06:07 AM  Show Profile
Wow, some positive things have been happening. I will continue to pray.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  08:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much, Catherine.

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  4:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
So, when I caught my cold a couple weeks back, it was in below 30 degree weather where we were outside for 48 hours straight, excluding time spent on the buses. I didn't have all my layers on for a couple hours because my sweater was wrapped around Gingy.

Gingy is a Jack Russell Terrier mix -- we're not sure what with, but that's okay, he's an awesome mutt :). Well, Gingy is gloriously difficult to shop for clothing-wise. He's a different size at practically every store we visit. It's a 50/50 chance it fits right without being a tad tight. The t-shirt in this photo is brand new (MANY THANKS to the vet that donated a free bath, free rabies shot, a goody bag of food products, and $20 for his Christmas). It's a thermal, sized Small -- XSmall would have been too tight in the neck and leg holes...

[/URL]

So, my question is: are there any shops (online or otherwise) where I can take Gingy's measurements OR find something that is designed more for his size? The problems I'm looking at are:

-- Finding his appropriate size.
-- The best fitting clothes are usually a bit long on his belly... he's a boy. So I have to wash those shirts after every single wear. Not a bad thing, but when one is homeless and on foot, it's not the best option.

Any suggestions are helpful.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  7:16:56 PM  Show Profile
Measure him around the neck, thickest part of chest and down the back from the neck to just above the tail. These are all the measurements you need to fit a dog. Send the measurements to me and I can make him a nice sweater.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  7:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Yay! Thank you, I will!

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2015 :  2:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
So... barring the potential for a miracle, we are checking out of here tomorrow. We've nowhere to go, yet... Yesterday, we completed our Employability Skills course at Goodwill.

Our SSVF caseworker presented our case to the staff today for approval. We're approved to begin the search for housing.

I want to add here that I'm so very tired... I'm an introvert (INFJ personality type). So totally not complaining here, but I need to speak to being wore slap out for a moment if I may. As an introvert, I rerquire a LOT of downtime when the only other beings near me are my pets. I adore my hubby, but there are so many reasons why military life was perfect for the two of us as a couple... He was away a lot, but not so much as to create a marital strain. Each day, I alternated between housework and doing whatever work I dreamed up for myself from crafting to writing. I also had ample time to sit and think -- which is really important to me. Since November 21st, I've been seperated from my spouse a sum total of 1 day and a few times when he went to pick up our groceries while I sat in the hotel with Gingy. Each grocery trip was circa 30-45 minutes long. Going from having a few hours a day to myself to being with people
-- in class 3 hours a day 4 days a week for 2 weeks
-- on 4-10 bus rides a day
-- to having my husband with me pracitcally everywhere at all times...
It's been exhausting. I go to bed exhausted. I wake up (and cannot get back to sleep) but am still not refreshed.

*hands over body clock* Someone shatter this, please. The alarm on it goes off every morning at like 6ish because we were having to be up by 0730 for class the last two weeks. Oh, and the times we've slept in the hospital lobby, I try to get us up and out the door by 8am, so I'm pretty much a lack-of-real-sleep mess right now. And people wonder why folks get hooked on Ambien...

I say all of this to ask prayers. If asked what I really need right now, I'd have to say a day where my spouse is out of the hotel / apartment / wherever and I just stay in bed alternating between sleep and reading with perhaps a few random naked dance sessions should I actually feel up to it. Just saying.

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2015 :  3:39:39 PM  Show Profile
Praying. We all need alone time.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2015 :  5:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Thank you, Cindy. Much appreciated.

We slept at the hospital lobby again last night and plan to go back tonight. I'm tired. At the lobby, we sleep sitting up, which is all fine and dandy, except the chairs -- oh Lord... last night, I awoke no less than 4 times because my body was sending warnings that my tail-bone was most assuredly broken. I've a soft, plush blanket I wrap around myself, and have been using a sweater as a 'cushion' in a part of the chair that hurts my bum the most. Top that off with my neck is messed up. DH's back is out of whack. And the dog keeps trying to sleep on our laps, but he slides down toward the floor and wakes us struggling to climb back up. Last night I managed to talk him into sleeping on my bag between my legs...

I won't go into great detail, but my mom has more or less abandoned us at this point. When we first ended up on the street, she had told us she would stick with us as long as we made "mature, responsible decisions". This turned into being controlling with us. She became hateful about things she asked us to do which she imagined we were stubbornly refusing to do. Her directives became unclear in that she would offer a half a directive, hoping we would come to the same conclusions she did about the rest... for example, she suggested we give up 2 pets, which we did without argument. She then got majorly upset when she learned our dog is still with us and that we still have a cat staying with a sitter. I'm talking anger and a refusal to assist us further unless we gave up the dog -- which isn't happening. We've lost so much already. Pets are a luxury, indeed. But our dog and cat have food, we do provide for them and we've cut a lot of pet expenses by giving up two cats. Let's not be hasty in giving up the rest... just saying.

Today, DH contacted her to give an update, and without my prior knowledge asked if she might consider getting us a hotel for this week. Having a hotel room is important right now. We were just approved Friday for starting our apartment search. We feel confident we'll be in housing by the end of next week, if not at least in processing. We have food stamps now (YAY!) so we can handle our own food. Let me do a brief breakdown here:
-- I carry my suitcase which transforms into a backpack (thank you Eagle Creek). I have clothing for about 3 days plus one nice shirt for interviews / special occasions. My media kit (holds my chargers, etc.). Couple books, a sketchbook, important paperwork from class and Goodwill, my bowl and spork, toiletries specific to me.
-- DH's backpack holds clothing, toiletries specific to him, his laptop and charger, important papers specific to him and the massive stack of bus route maps...
-- DH lugs a rolling bag (which does not close) behind him. It's a rolling grocery bag, basically. It can close... but it's too full right now. It holds a little food (crackers mostly), our larger toiletries, 1 plush blanket, our waters.
-- DH has a coathanger. It holds his interview pants, button-down, tie and blazer which are covered up by a zip up sweatshirt / jacket, a coat, and his pea coat. He used all his outerwear to create a makeshift 'garment bag'. It's quite heavy.
-- Gingy has a bag. His food, clothes and a couple calming toys are in it. DH carries this as well.
Basically, we look like we're moving wherever we go. And there are no lockers for the homeless to stash their mobile household goods when they're doing important things like interviewing for jobs or trying to make a decent impression on a potential landlord. Well, I take that back. There are lockers for the homeless. In Colorado. We've asked caseworkers if we could leave our things in their offices, assuring we'd be back by day's end to pick up. No go. We need every item we have except maybe my books... but I have put the sketchbook to great use since being here. I was able to show my caseworker some of my talent outside of immediately employable skills -- it gave her greater insight into my abilities and what I'm looking for in a job.

Well... long story short, Mom told DH she'd think about getting us a hotel (it's $40/night if we check in for a full week; that's the cheapest rate in the city, and comes up to about $300) and that she'd call back upon making a decision. She never got back to us. When DH called to confirm yea or nay, she said no. So... we're looking at potentially being in for a VERY rough week. I don't think the hospital will let us stay there every night. In fact, last night, DH was asking permission for us to stay in the lobby -- they told him not to ask again, and just come in and have a seat in the future. Not a bad deal -- until someone says to leave and we've no one to say it's okay for us to be there.

Winston-Salem is a sprawling city. Buses run till midnight weekdays and Saturdays. They stop at 6:30ish on Sundays. If we're kicked out of the hospital tonight, we literally have nowhere to go within walking distance. The only routes we know to get from point A to B is the bus route and some roads we've seen from the buses. So we're working on limited knowledge.

Tomorrow, we're contacting both caseworkers and telling them our predicament -- but I highly doubt they'll have any solutions for us. We're both so tired already, I doubt we'll stay awake the whole day tomorrow. Then again -- we've been nodding off randomly since the first Monday night on the streets...

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  05:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
So... at 0200 this morning, I was awakened when Gingy stood up to greet the hospital security guard who had come to tell everyone sleeping in the lobby to leave. We can't go back there. At 0215, we settled into the leaves, dirt, and sticks on the ground in a small wooded area on the corner. DH snored, I itched. Apparently, I passed through some form of leaves of three on my way into the wooded plot... so my ankles were itchy. Fortunately, I have Cortizone gel with me and have since changed socks, rubbed on the gell and I'm good (for now). I haven't showered since Friday night. I feel kinda gross. And I'm on my last clean pair of pants (I know where to wash clothes for free; it's just 2 bus rides and a 10 minute walk away and after this weekend, no thanks. Doing pretty good to have an inkling as to my general location at the moment.)

We've already spoken to one of our caseworkers and will be speaking to another later today, we hope. My other hope is that something turns up where we can stay in a hotel again. We're both a bit confused and fearful today. People seem to think the ONLY solution to our problem is an overflow shelter, but we don't want to be separated as we have only one way to contact anyone outside the shelters. One man who helped set up the shelters has assured me we would be separated. The way overflows work is: the shelter picks you up in a van, takes you to a church or some such building whose owners have agreed to house homeless for that night. Men and women are separated with men going to one location and women another. The vans supposedly return them to the pick up point or to a drop off of their choosing. We're not super big on trusting other people right now, and those whom I do trust support me on that path. I'm sure the churches are nice and the people involved try to be -- but when it comes to me and my spouse, we stick together right now. We've already been in a living situation where people invited us to stay till we found our own place and then tried taking advantage of us. The idea of vans taking us to different parts of the city and then dropping us off somewhere the next day is just creepy... even if it is meant to be a help.

I'm tired. Every time the bus went over a bump or stopped this morning, I nearly face-planted into the seat next to me because I kept nodding off... Gingy's lucky I didn't drop him.

Go to Top of Page

LaLa
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Laura
Hickory North Carolina
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  08:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Send LaLa a Yahoo! Message
Took Gingy for a walk. The sky cannot contain it's emotions any longer, so it's rainy out...

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  08:54:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh Laura! Try to get an address even if it is a general delivery.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  2:48:34 PM  Show Profile
Yes, please try to get an address. I have a small animal carrier that I can send you. I wonder if those churches realize that Mary and Joseph were once homeless, too.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic It's all Happening Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page