Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Sick little dog update and warning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sick little dog update and warning Next Topic  

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  06:09:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh girls! Nothing is worse than a sick little dog. My little chihuahua, Pip, is very, very sick. He is such a little lovebug...loves everybody, not nervous, just a snuggler and so friendly. Well, Sunday I had to work a festival as part of my volunteer hours to train to be a Master Gardener. DH and DD came by the festival bringing Pip with them. One of the ladies, well-meaning of course, fed him a "treat" without asking us first! He wolfed it down before we could stop her. We aren't sure what it was - it looked to me like a piece of "pig's ear" (which ours don't get at home) or a piece of the chocolate chip cookies that were served. At seven pounds, the tiniest bit of chocolate can be toxic to a little dog like Pip!

Anyway, he was fine Sunday night, but Monday morning he got very, very ill. Two days so far of vomiting and loose bowels (both with blood)! It frightened us to death!

We took him to the vet first thing, of course. They do not think anything is lodged. He was a bit dehydrated. They gave him IV fluids, anti-nausea meds, and an antibiotic. He has some special food to help his tummy, too, that they gave him which I mixed with a little white Jasmin rice.

So far, he is still not well, but certainly improving. He is drinking water and eating a little bit. He ate a small amount last night and this morning. It's a good start.

One of my best friends is a vet, and she always has me call and she gives me a second opinion. She says the vet is on the right track.

That "treat" on Sunday was the only thing we can think of to cause the problem, the only thing that is out of his routine. I would NEVER feed someone else's dog anything without asking first!

She meant well, but my poor baby! We are very worried. I have to check in with the vet when they open this morning. One tiny, well-meaning gesture is causing significant stress and expense. I could hardly sleep last night, and both my DH and I got up to check on our little baby.

A good reminder not feed other people's animals, or to feed the wrong kinds of snacks to dogs. :(

If you don't mind, say a little prayer for little Pip.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

Edited by - texdane on Jul 07 2015 08:33:17 AM

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6632 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6632 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2015 :  1:55:35 PM  Show Profile
Prayers for your sweet little Pip!! I hope the vet can get him well. Please keep us posted!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13643 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13643 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  4:39:32 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sorry to hear your PIP is sick! Very concerning and discouraging. Praying that he heals quickly and you feel peace!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2015 :  5:32:34 PM  Show Profile
Praying for dear little Pip. Is he any better?

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  08:50:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

I am back after not being on for a week. My little dog is okay now, but it was a long week. And quite expensive, but he was worth it. He got sicker and sicker all last week. We went to the vet several times, and were trying everything. He was on an antibiotic, but just kept getting worse. He got to where he could hardly move his head up and was lethargic, and lost a lot of blood with his "condition", if you know what I mean (watery, loose bowels). He was at the vet twice for fluid, they did blood tests, and at one point we thought we would have to put him down. Almost a week later, after he seemed improved, he took a turn for the worse. My vet said there was nothing more they could do.

We were told to take him to an emergency vet hospital. Coincidentally, it is around the corner from my house, and is only for specialized and emergency visits. People from all over the state come there.

We had to make a decision. They gave us a worse case scenario for cost. He had to be hospitalized, with an IV fluid and antibiotic. Well, we won't be going on vacation and sadly it looks as though I won't get to see my mom this summer, but he is part of the family, and like my mom said, "He's an exceptional little dog!"

It would have been horrible to begin with if he died, but my dd has her birthday this week. When she was eight, our twenty year old cat died on her birthday, and she never forgot that. This would have forever associated her birthday with sadness.

We visited Friday night and he looked so pathetic with his "cone of shame". By Saturday, he was feeling better. They could not get him to eat, and felt he was scared to death. If we got him to eat, we could take him home! (And save quite a bit of the expense).

He ate for us, and now he is home and back to normal. He is eating, drinking, and happy.

After the blood work and the ultrasound to look for a blockage, it seems as though it was a bad stomach issue caused by the mystery treat. We don't know what the lady fed him, but please, when you are out in public, don't let people feed treats to your dogs. We don't know if it was a human cookie, a pig ear, or a dog treat, but it made him deathly ill. We are counting our blessings that he is okay! It is amazing how much six pounds (he lost a whole pound last week) and fur can make such a huge impact on your life!

We probably would have had to put him down had he not been so young. We will be more careful when out and about, and certainly hope people remember to ask before feeding someone else's dog. We learned a big lesson this week. And we are counting our blessings!

Thanks for your prayers!

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  08:53:58 AM  Show Profile

Pip says "Thank you for keeping your paws crossed!"

~Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  6:27:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nicole, how awful for all if you, and thank goodness your little fellow pulled through. He is just adorable! I'm so happy for your family!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6632 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6632 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  6:33:28 PM  Show Profile
Gosh Nicole what a scary week you had !! I am glad to know Pip is now getting b enter everyday and back to his old self !! It is a very good idea to remind people to not feed your dog a treat. We never know what might prove to be a deadly,allergen!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  6:16:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Winnie. I know she meant well, and wouldn't have fed him if she thought he would get sick, but she should have asked first. It's been a reminder to us to be more careful when out in public with our doggies.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16421 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16421 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  6:54:55 PM  Show Profile
So happy to hear your sweet little Pip is okay. What an ordeal. Heartbreaking.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2015 :  7:11:52 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, MaryJane! He gave us quite the scare.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2015 :  7:09:25 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad your little pip is doing better and is back to being happy. We had that happen to us once too. The person gave our dog a hard candy. thank goodness she is a big dog and I knew what she was going to do. Just as I said Don't give that to her. the person had already done it. the person said, what she will be ok. I told the person that anytime she gets anything new she vomits it right back up. She said oh this won't hurt her. about 2 seconds later. My dog vomitted it right up right by the lady's shoe. I just looked at her and said I told you so.!! I wish she would have gotten the lady's foot. She would have learned to never give other peoples dogs stupid things!! some people just do not learn any other way. If I ever ran into the person that gave your dog whatever it was. boy, would I have to tell her what happened.. They need to know not to do that ever without asking.!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2015 :  4:18:55 PM  Show Profile
So glad to hear your fur baby is doing so much better. It's scary when they get sick.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  09:46:28 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it the most frightening? It's even worse, I found, with a small dog. My big girl has an iron stomach, but this little guy almost died from one bite!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sick little dog update and warning Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page