Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 PLEASE HELP! Pygmy goat needs drying up.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic PLEASE HELP! Pygmy goat needs drying up. Next Topic  

MaggieB
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

1 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2015 :  4:03:18 PM  Show Profile
I have a 6 year old Pygmy goat who started producing milk out of the blue. She is definitely not pregnant. My vet told me not to milk her because he is worried she might get an infection, but he also said she probably would not dry out and is(as am I) concerned that she might get mastitis . WHAT TO DO!? She is so full of milk that the added weight has caused her knees to be painful and she has had to be put on Previcox, which has a host of possible side effects. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to dry her out---or even what might have caused this to happen? Would certainly appreciate your input.

Thank you,
Maggie

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2015 :  1:05:47 PM  Show Profile
Maggie, wish I knew about pigmy goats... one would think it would be safer to maybe milk her rather then put her on meds.... at least the milk could be used for soap... or maybe someone has a baby pigmy goat and is in need of the extra milk... can goat milk be used for kittens or puppies?
wish I could help with an answer.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  1:27:33 PM  Show Profile
Generally, you only milk out enough to relieve pressure on the udder when you want a doe to dry up. I'm not sure if it's the same with this scenario, though. Did you get your girl all dried up?

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.PracticalFarmgirl.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  7:06:05 PM  Show Profile
I had a goat once that was not drying up after her babies were no longer babies. and yes I would just milk her a bit to relieve the pressure because she was so miserable, crying if I did not. So I went out there and massage a little and then milked out just enough so she was not in pain. I did that for about a week and she finally dried up. I think she just needed time for her hormones to kick in to dry them up. She was fine after that. Hope she is doing better.!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic PLEASE HELP! Pygmy goat needs drying up. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page